Custom Hobby Forum

• November 30, 2020, 03:19:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Author Topic: The OOC thread (DA)  (Read 155002 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
Re: The OOC thread (DA)
« Reply #330 on: July 14, 2007, 12:34:56 PM »

Balgin gave a hint about a key so I figure if it is not on the first floor, then maybe it is upstairs.

Erm, if you call "when there's a lock there's usualy a key for it" a hint then it's about as blatant as saying there's no smoke without fire :p. I didn't really think of it as giving a hint so much as simply mentioning an obvious fact (and I suspected Aurum would start trying to break doors down :p).

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #331 on: July 14, 2007, 12:57:54 PM »

Most players I have gamed with thought just break it down unless thr rogue wanted to try to pick the lock or we needed to stay quiet. you were right, in character I was thinking about having him try to break it down.

I took it as a hint since I didn't think you would point us in the wrong direction. I didn't say it was subtle at all.

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #332 on: July 15, 2007, 12:53:38 PM »

Balgin - Rogan should be proficient in the use of morning stars.  Clerics are proficient with all simple weapons and a morning star is classed as a one-handed simple weapon, at least it is according to the SRD.  If that's changed in this setting, I'll swap to a heavy mace, which costs 4 gold more, weighs 2 pounds more, and loses the piercing damage descriptor. 

(Which reminds me - doesn't the morning star make the heavy mace completely redundant?  It's more like a flail which weighs a pound less to drop the piercing bit.  In my opinion, they should roll these into one weapon mechanics wise, two at most...)

Also, sorry I'm a bit erratic at the moment.  Don't wait up for Rogan in updates - if any action is really needed, it'll probably be for something like attacking or healing.  Suffice to say he'll heal when someone's in danger, and attack when necessary, sticking to the longspear (cast Magic Weapon if appears challenging) and attacking past others unless closed with, in which case he'll drop it and fight on with morning star and buckler.  Turning attempt on undead if encountered, etc.  All common sense stuff really.

Unfortunately I'll be out for the country on holiday for the first two weeks of August, so you may well have to exercise this temporary NPC-ness.  Anyone wants a spell on his list cast, just ask and assume he does so - same list memorised at every opportunity ;)

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #333 on: July 15, 2007, 03:23:18 PM »

Sounds like a solid plan. By the way anyone feel like healing the cliff jumping fire spitting dwarven fish we call Aurum?

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #334 on: July 15, 2007, 03:46:58 PM »

Balgin - Rogan should be proficient in the use of morning stars.  Clerics are proficient with all simple weapons and a morning star is classed as a one-handed simple weapon, at least it is according to the SRD.  If that's changed in this setting, I'll swap to a heavy mace, which costs 4 gold more, weighs 2 pounds more, and loses the piercing damage descriptor. 

(Which reminds me - doesn't the morning star make the heavy mace completely redundant?  It's more like a flail which weighs a pound less to drop the piercing bit.  In my opinion, they should roll these into one weapon mechanics wise, two at most...)

See rule 4 :) :p.

Alex

« Reply #335 on: July 15, 2007, 05:13:23 PM »

Could you not just call it a spiked mace and leave as-is?

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #336 on: July 16, 2007, 03:55:49 AM »

Bugger, I remember reading that now...

6-flanged heavy mace it is!

Does it still get piercing? ;-P

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #337 on: July 16, 2007, 06:45:51 PM »

I'm perfectly happy for you guys to destroy the building a bit but since there seems to be a monster on the prowl, you might want to keep those doors intact to protect yourselves with :).

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #338 on: July 16, 2007, 06:52:54 PM »

Protect ourselves? Where is the fun in that? We will just have to kill it.

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #339 on: July 17, 2007, 03:30:19 AM »

Well, apparently it can get through doors.  Shade...shade...  Turn Undead!  :icon_saber:

Bets in - is it a) a shadow, b) a wraith, c) a ghost of some kind, d) a spectre or e) something Balgin's homebrewed?

I'm hoping not d...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 03:35:29 AM by Rod the Worm »

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #340 on: July 17, 2007, 03:36:41 AM »

I wonder if the sage is any good in a fight?

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #341 on: July 17, 2007, 04:01:54 AM »

He could be anything from a 12th level wizard to a 4th level expert for all I know.   :shrug:

Mr Teufel

• Young Dragon
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #342 on: July 17, 2007, 04:32:17 AM »

Damn. I've stopped getting notifications again.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #343 on: July 17, 2007, 04:48:42 AM »

Protect ourselves? Where is the fun in that? We will just have to kill it.

We could always try talking to it, if it is at least as intelligent as Aurum ;)  Might be more treasure that way!
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #344 on: July 17, 2007, 03:36:11 PM »

Well, apparently it can get through doors.  Shade...shade...  Turn Undead!  :icon_saber:

Bets in - is it a) a shadow, b) a wraith, c) a ghost of some kind, d) a spectre or e) something Balgin's homebrewed?

I'm hoping not d...

It's a published adventure so it's not something I statted up myself. However it was published before the 3rd ed DMG & MM so a few of the creatures differed a little bit from the MM versions (in which case I'll simply chose which version I prefer, normaly the MM one).