Custom Hobby Forum

• November 30, 2020, 03:34:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Author Topic: The OOC thread (DA)  (Read 155006 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
Re: The OOC thread (DA)
« Reply #435 on: August 05, 2007, 10:46:05 AM »

I agree that Balgin can rub people the wrong way.

I simply don't know of any nation apart from america that uses the american system for counting and numbering floors. As people have stated the germans, australians and all sorts of other people use what, to me, is the normal system. Consequently I felt obliged to point out the difference in perception as many americans visit this forum. The reason I refered to the americans doing it differently is simply that I don't know of anyone else that does.

I just call it upstairs myself :p.

He'll probably point out that what he said was the American system "makes {more} sense if you use lifts and never have to climb the stairs {than the 'traditional' system}", not that Americans don't use stairs, but in my mind the implication is clear.

Well I thought that skyscrud*ers and towerblocks were an american import (since they've had them since the 30's and we've had them since the 60's). So it would make sense that they'd start looking at things that way first since it's what they've got to look at.

So anyway, here's my list of things to do before giving the next update some serious thought:
Check if Fabian was referring to the books from the folklorist's room.
If so, look on the CD full of "stuff" for the extra information about it it claims is on the CD (done).
Observe the distinct lack of anything extra about it on the CD (also done).
Check the background stuff from the second adventure (not done yet).
Realise that I compiled the world lore from the first and second adventures into one (done).
Check the first CD for differences (not done yet as it probably just included some of the second adventure's stuff that wasn't in the printed version).
Double check if where I made the cat go made sense (it would've had to run past two dead bodies or a group of people, I'm not sure it should've gone near the bodies).
Keep track of the time for timeline dependant events (sort of done, it's probably somewhere between midday and one in the afternoon at the moment).
Try to work out how Ivor reckons a large stone box could be picked up and fit into Aurum's pack :p.
Doublecheck on the location of the hollow tree with the treasure in it (done).
Doublecheck the locations for certain location & timeline specific events (not quite done yet but it won't take long).

Okay, I think that's everything for now. Yeah, it might not look like it at the moment but there's either a lot of stuff happening or a lot of stuff's about to begin happening sometime soon :p.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 10:56:31 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #436 on: August 05, 2007, 11:02:39 AM »

I agree that Balgin can rub people the wrong way.

I simply don't know of any nation apart from america that uses the american system for counting and numbering floors. As people have stated the germans, australians and all sorts of other people use what, to me, is the normal system. Consequently I felt obliged to point out the difference in perception as many americans visit this forum. The reason I refered to the americans doing it differently is simply that I don't know of anyone else that does.

I just call it upstairs myself :p.

He'll probably point out that what he said was the American system "makes {more} sense if you use lifts and never have to climb the stairs {than the 'traditional' system}", not that Americans don't use stairs, but in my mind the implication is clear.

Well I thought that skyscrud*ers and towerblocks were an american import (since they've had them since the 30's and we've had them since the 60's). So it would make sense that they'd start looking at things that way first since it's what they've got to look at.

Fair enough

So anyway, here's my list of things to do before giving the next update some serious thought:
Check if Fabian was referring to the books from the folklorist's room.
If so, look on the CD full of "stuff" for the extra information about it it claims is on the CD (done).
Observe the distinct lack of anything extra about it on the CD (also done).
Check the background stuff from the second adventure (not done yet).
Realise that I compiled the world lore from the first and second adventures into one (done).
Check the first CD for differences (not done yet as it probably just included some of the second adventure's stuff that wasn't in the printed version).
Double check if where I made the cat go made sense (it would've had to run past two dead bodies or a group of people, I'm not sure it should've gone near the bodies).
Keep track of the time for timeline dependant events (sort of done, it's probably somewhere between midday and one in the afternoon at the moment).
Try to work out how Ivor reckons a large stone box could be picked up and fit into Aurum's pack :p.
Doublecheck on the location of the hollow tree with the treasure in it (done).
Doublecheck the locations for certain location & timeline specific events (not quite done yet but it won't take long).

Okay, I think that's everything for now. Yeah, it might not look like it at the moment but there's either a lot of stuff happening or a lot of stuff's about to begin happening sometime soon :p.

Don't forget the result from Alarian and Ivor looking at the magical items (if they had any result). Well the stone box might not fit but maybe the sage will open it (since no one in the group has or their characters wouldn't).

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #437 on: August 05, 2007, 11:29:59 AM »

Maybe he will :). I'm just looking forwards to the point in the timeline where I don't need to keep track of time so much as it's less important. There's a lot of set events but it's the keeping track of time during the long wait for the first one that's really killing me. After that first event takes place it'll be easier to wait for the others (since it won't be such a major countdown).

Alex

« Reply #438 on: August 05, 2007, 12:08:40 PM »

It's a large stone box? I thought it was a smaller coffer, about the size of a biscuit tin. TBH, it's been ages since there's been any activity in the game thread, so I can't remember every detail about the crud* scattered around the monastery.

It's not just the US that lists floors that way- I was in Oslo the other weekend and they seemed to could the ground floor as 1, and I'm pretty sure a lot of other European countries do also- France and Spain spring to mind, but I can't remember for sure. In all honesty, who gives a rat's ass about how different countries have different floor-labelling conventions? Just because some places don't conform to the British way of doing things, it doesn't automatically mean that they're wrong and deserve to have it pointed out to them as if they're stupid.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #439 on: August 05, 2007, 12:16:45 PM »

I knew it was stone but wasn't sure of the size. Eiter way I look forward to things picking up a little. It will also be good to see how combat rounds are handled (in a real fight).

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #440 on: August 05, 2007, 12:53:41 PM »

I knew it was stone but wasn't sure of the size. Eiter way I look forward to things picking up a little. It will also be good to see how combat rounds are handled (in a real fight).

When it happens I'll post the Battle Thread rules.

Basicaly it goes something like this: each fight gets it's own Battle Thread. The rules based aspect of the fight take place in the Battle Thread whilst the in character description is written in the Story Thread (possibly a summary at the end of every round).

There's a bit more to it than that but that's basicaly it. It serves to prevent the rules stuff causing the in character roleplaying to drag on and be distracted by questions about refocussing initiative (a now semi redundan rule :p).

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #441 on: August 05, 2007, 12:58:18 PM »

Should I create another sub board for the battle threads (Like the character subsection)?

Agentmolar

• Global Moderator
  • Young Adult Dragon
  • The Tooth is out there.
« Reply #442 on: August 05, 2007, 01:11:48 PM »

No more threzds your clogging up the forums!! lol...

just had to post, couldnt resist!!!!

Back to your regular scheduled gaming thread.
Funny isnt it how naughty dentists always make their one fatal mistake.
Bye for now, keep your teeth clean
www.dentalserenity.com.au

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #443 on: August 05, 2007, 01:13:37 PM »

Funny Kurt  :icon_wink:

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #444 on: August 05, 2007, 01:50:14 PM »

Should I create another sub board for the battle threads (Like the character subsection)?

Nope. They don't need a separate board. They're normal non stickied threads and they don't need to exist after the encounter's finished (unless people want them around for reference to check things).

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #445 on: August 05, 2007, 02:10:40 PM »

sounds good

Medved

• man with the fluffy skates
  • Global Moderator
  • Young Adult Dragon
  • look at my fluffy skates!
« Reply #446 on: August 05, 2007, 03:58:47 PM »

just to be pedantic myself, slovakia, czech republic and various other slavic nations all use the system you have identified as being american.

Fabian

• Chief of the Oak Priests
  • Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
    • My Cheddarmongers gallery
« Reply #447 on: August 05, 2007, 03:59:57 PM »

Um... whoa... I missed something there l :icon_ermm:

Back to the game... yes I did indeed mean the folklorist books. And I am also intrigued in regards to the items.  :icon_wink:

The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #448 on: August 05, 2007, 04:04:45 PM »

Um... whoa... I missed something there l :icon_ermm:

Back to the game... yes I did indeed mean the folklorist books. And I am also intrigued in regards to the items.  :icon_wink:

Well if there's nothing to tell you I've picked some real world folklore to substitute so you'll get something anyway :p. I just haven't got round to writing an update yet.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 04:07:31 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #449 on: August 05, 2007, 07:21:57 PM »

Maybe the books can give him a bonus on skill checks :shrug: :icon_wink: Must be a huge update :occasion14: :dragon: