Custom Hobby Forum

• November 30, 2020, 03:15:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your friendly happy Custom Hobby Forum moderators are working tirelessly to keep our community free of inane and useless rabble.  Please stand by while we adjust settings to keep things friendly for our loyal contributors while preventing spam from littering our little corner of the Internet.  Thank you!  -- The Custom Hobby team

Author Topic: The OOC thread (DA)  (Read 155001 times)

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
Re: The OOC thread (DA)
« Reply #390 on: July 31, 2007, 03:27:35 PM »

I think I covered everything with that one. I am hoping somone does help me out with figuring out what these items are (not just mine Keeper40K also has the broad sword) with a detect magic spell. Can Naedath cast identify?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 03:34:12 PM by Custom_Hobby »

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #391 on: July 31, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »

Can Naedath cast identify?

He can but he's only prepared it once so he's saving it for something "worth it". Basicaly when he knows how many interesting objects there are, then he'll decide what to identify first.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #392 on: July 31, 2007, 06:14:29 PM »

He turns his attention back to the sea shells and remembers his love of the sea. He takes the most beautiful and rare of the sells *I think I will keep these for myself.*

Erm, top of the bookshelf? How does he get up there?

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #393 on: July 31, 2007, 06:20:38 PM »

I guess I can try asking him again before he goes to bed as he can prepare the spell again in the morning.

Alex

« Reply #394 on: July 31, 2007, 07:14:30 PM »

I'm getting a little lost as to what's happening when- any chance you can cut down on the looting until the rest of us have a chance to do something, like actually answer your questions?

As far as I'm concerned, we've gotten to the point where Ivor's made his point about looking for survivors, then you've asked him to look at the magic weapons. I'd like to hear what the DM has to say to that before anything else happens- after a quick look at them to see if he can recognise anything, Ivor's going to leave you to ransack the place while he looks for any survivors. He has no interest in grabbing what looks valuable, particularly when they haven't established whether there's anyone left alive, and also when they've already been paid for the job by the church.

If nothing else, I'm more interested in finding out what is actually going on than what each resident of the building keeps hidden at the bottom of their sock drawer.

Sorry, just realised this sounds like a rant. It's not meant to be as such, just a request to slow things down a little so Balgin can do more in his updates than describe the stuff Aurum finds in each room.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #395 on: July 31, 2007, 07:38:14 PM »

I'm getting a little lost as to what's happening when- any chance you can cut down on the looting until the rest of us have a chance to do something, like actually answer your questions?

Basicaly CH jumped the gun a bit, walking in on you guys after you've done whatever you've done. Consequently I am going to either have to edit the post where I described his search of the other room to include stuff for the rest of you or I'm going to post the stuff about the other room in a separate post (I'd prefer that) and then move his post down to below that since he's effectively spent three or four minutes (maybe longer) having a good look around the room he's in.

Sorry, just realised this sounds like a rant. It's not meant to be as such, just a request to slow things down a little so Balgin can do more in his updates than describe the stuff Aurum finds in each room.

I did spend a day or so waiting for any of you guys to post and it simply wasn't happening. I don't mind if the pace picks up a bit or slows down so long as everyone's comfortable with it. I'd rather leave Aurum where he is and eal with what the people who went to the other room are doing at the same time, since I've dealt with him, than to have to institute a "Time Units" house rule (where players may spend time units to perform actions).

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #396 on: July 31, 2007, 10:05:22 PM »

Um ok.... I declared I was searching the room and everyone left the room. I have been in the same place the entire time. Had I not searched the room we wouldn't know half of the stuff we do know about what is in it. People were in the other room and didn't look around. Last I remember no one has been able to tell us what happened yet so we have to search for clues until we find someone. Everyone just moved on to something else. When Alex said he was leaving to find people who were still alive Keeper said he was going with him. I suggested that he wait a second to see if we can figure out what we had found. That way keeper could know what he had as well.

As for looting, half the place is dead (maybe more). Plus we never agreed on what we are getting paid we were just told it would come out of Naedath's 230 gp. Even if he divided that evenly that would only be about 38 gp. My character will take whatever he thinks he can and still guard the sage as he agreed. Like I said in game he is used to scavenging out in the wild, that won't change indoors.

No one else seems to be searching anything or trying to find clues. I am staying in character with him and Aurum doesn't care about books or cryptic notes. I called everyone back into the room in an effort to keep Balgin from having to deal with a group that is split up. If anyone wants to leave Aurum behind they can. I don't have a problem with that. Balgin already suggested that the sage would stay to translate the information anyway, the rest of the group can keep going on their way.

Balgin how did I jump the gun I was keeping everyone from moving on and then not knowing what was in the room? Just because they can read it in the thread doesn't mean the characters know it. Maybe a time unit house rule will work better in the game.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #397 on: July 31, 2007, 10:46:32 PM »

Balgin how did I jump the gun I was keeping everyone from moving on and then not knowing what was in the room?

It's no biggy. Here's what happened:

1: I wrote an update about the stuff Aurum found in the room.
2: While he was searching the room, the others were in another room.
3: I was going to write an update for stuff they'd notice in that room (stuff I didn't neccessarily include in the original description but now they're spending some time in there they definately would have noticed a few more things). They might have even wanted to search the bodies in that room, look at the big black book by the door, things like that. So basicaly I was going to write an update about stuff that happened in that room.

4: You then posted about going in there to see them before I had time to write that update (mondays are busy for me).

That's how you jumped the gun. You sort of leaped ahead of me for a moment there but, as I wrote in another thread, I think I know what I'm going to do about it. I can write the update for them and then copy and paste other people's posts to make it match up (some of the stuff might've happened before people left the room). However, if Aurum wants to drag the chair across the floor to try and stand on the back of it (not the seat) to reach the top of the bookcase (and risk overbalancing a bit) then chances are the others might come back and catch him in the act of clambering up the chair. You see, they might actualy spend less time in the other room tha you (although I can always fiddle that a little bit with people standing around a bit).

If you don't want to try anything with the chair then we'll see what happens. Basicaly sometime (probably about 3-4hrs from now) I'll write an update for the stuff in the other room and then I'll work what you've written into it too.

If we were using time units it would've gone something like this:

Aurum uses 2 time units searching the room.
Other people spend 1 time unit walking into the next room.
Aurum then uses another time unit to go and catch up with them.

So basicaly the other guys would've done stuff but they hadn't had time to post yet and I was giving them a little delay (although I was happy to make assumptions after a reasonable delay as I occassionaly have).

So don't worry, I'll try to fix it all in the next update (I hope). Before I do write that update 'though I'll check to see who's in which room because I think one or two people may have stayed with Aurum.

I've got no issues with Aurum looting stuff as it's in character behaviour. I will issue this little spoiler: there is at least one survivor on the island :p.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #398 on: July 31, 2007, 11:02:03 PM »

Who is curently 'away'? Didn't Rod say he was going to be gone for a bit? If he is then I guess we could assume he would hang with his brother (I think). You also mentioned the sage possibly doing some translations so I figure he would wind up in the room I just searched too.

Balgin how did I jump the gun I was keeping everyone from moving on and then not knowing what was in the room?
4: You then posted about going in there to see them before I had time to write that update (mondays are busy for me).

Once he is finished searching, Aurum calls over to the rest of the group that is over in the meeting room, "I found a few things in here." Once the sage gets back in the room he points out the tag on the dragon's head, the note on the statue, the urn on the table, the lacquered box that mentions a transcript, and the silver broach that he takes out of his pouch. "I found this broach and also another key but no where to use the key in here."

Aurum never left the room :icon_wink:

I did spend a day or so waiting for any of you guys to post and it simply wasn't happening. I don't mind if the pace picks up a bit or slows down so long as everyone's comfortable with it. I'd rather leave Aurum where he is and deal with what the people who went to the other room are doing at the same time, since I've dealt with him, than to have to institute a "Time Units" house rule (where players may spend time units to perform actions).

I don't know but those time units sound good to me. They could avoid issues like this (unless they make things harder for you).
Also can you repost the way you want in game posts formatted. I wasn't sure how to post character thoughts without saying "he is thinking...." :shrug: Are you open to suggestions on the format? I was thinking: italics for thoughts, "Quote" marks for actual speach, and a different color for OOC  Just my  :twocents:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 11:18:54 PM by Custom_Hobby »

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #399 on: July 31, 2007, 11:26:15 PM »

He turns his attention back to the sea shells and remembers his love of the sea. He takes the most beautiful and rare of the sells *I think I will keep these for myself.*

Erm, top of the bookshelf? How does he get up there?

I think I fixed that issue. I removed my post and moved this one here to the OOC thread. I also went in and made an edit to my other post. It should all make more sense now (I think).

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #400 on: August 01, 2007, 04:13:57 AM »

Raul is looking around at stuff, but not searching the Abbey in detail (unlike Aurum) because he (I) have a feeling that this is not where the main action is.  Raul (I) might be wrong on this, but such is the nature of playing an RPG :)

I don't mind the searching and looting at all (sorry can't think of anything less pejorative but I don't mean its necessarily a bad thing), but Raul thinks that whatever has happened has got to do with someone stealing gems from Elven artifacts (never a good thing), which has triggered something off.  To be honest, he's more interested in the mine works, and thinking about a way to go and see the cache.  He's been trying to find an appropriate way to pass on the information he has about someone having been stealing.  I've been deliberately playing his slightly distracted because he's got this on his mind.  I think he's gonna blurt it out soon.

Oh, and I've got a solution to the puzzle chest:

The red buttons are the ones that need to be pressed, for whichever character has got the intelligence to present the solution to the group :D
:hal:   

Alex

« Reply #401 on: August 01, 2007, 04:17:33 AM »

Sorry about last night's little rant, guys. Just found it hard to know what was going on when- I had been planning on going elsewhere in the place, but Mike then asked Ivor a question when Ivor, in my head, would've been long gone. I didn't want to just ignore it, but I didn't think Ivor would've stuck around to be there to be asked by the time Aurum had finished his search. I hope that makes some sense by way of explanation.

As for the looting, well, I'm staying in character with Ivor too- he has no interest in material wealth, so whether they're getting paid 38gp or 3800gp makes little difference to him. He was, however, brought up to know that stealing was wrong, and that's what Aurum's behaviour looks like to him. The stuff isn't his, and just because there are dead bodies lying round, that doesn't give him the right to pillage a holy place.

The monastery, being full of academics, is somewhere Ivor can identify with- he's spent enough time in academic institutions himself. He doesn't like the thought of bullies picking on those who can't defend themselves, and that, regardless of the supernatural nature of the bully, is how he sees the situation. The sheer number of corpses littering the building isn't seen as evidence that the everyone's dead, rather that the bad guy needs to be stopped sooner rather than later.

Anyway, that's the in-character view of how Ivor sees things. He may be a scatter-brained inventor with little in the way of social skills, but he has a strong sense of right and wrong, and is made of sterner stuff than it may first appear.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #402 on: August 01, 2007, 09:55:19 AM »

Fixed stuff to make more sense chronologicaly.

Fabian

• Chief of the Oak Priests
  • Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
    • My Cheddarmongers gallery
« Reply #403 on: August 01, 2007, 10:11:20 PM »

Have I gleaned anything from examining these items or books?
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #404 on: August 01, 2007, 10:18:06 PM »

...and did Ivor?