Custom Hobby Forum

• December 04, 2020, 03:53:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Author Topic: The OOC thread (DA)  (Read 155789 times)

Alex

Re: The OOC thread (DA)
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2007, 10:14:45 AM »

Hehe, no worries, CH- it's amazing what you can churn out when there are more important things that you should be working on at the time ;)

As for a dracophilic dwarf, give me a day or so and I'll see where the inspiration leads me.

With regard to joining the dwarves, I'm a little bit stuck for ideas; I think Fabian's suggestion that the wizard asks the dwarves separately is a good one.

Maybe he sizes us up and decides that a bit more muscle is in order? It might have been what they were arguing over- the wizard likes the hard-as-nails look of the dwarves, but the priest is unwilling to pay the premium that dwarves tend to demand due to their love of gold, so has asked us. The wizard then takes matters into his own hands and tells the dwarves that the priest wants to hire them as mercenaries, putting the priest in a bit of a pickle (who wants to argue with two 4ft tall lumps of solid muscle, after all?) and ends up having to fork out for both sets of hirelings. Wizard 1, Priest 0.

Maybe the dwarves could be associated with Kiaphas- Aurum met him in the northlands or something, thus neatly getting everyone together and ready to move forward!

Fabian

• Chief of the Oak Priests
  • Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
    • My Cheddarmongers gallery
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2007, 10:25:50 AM »

Well, Alarian already mentioned Kiaphas to the priest, so either way is good!  :icon_cool:
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2007, 10:27:50 AM »

Kiaphas knowing Aurum from the north is plausible.  

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2007, 03:22:42 PM »

Can we cut it down to two days?

I'm considering it a bit. He's been posting on FOD quite a bit during the last few days and I think he needs a little reminder.

Three days felt right for my other game (where a few players had limited net access). I didn't actualy instigate it because a few players couldn't post often, but because one of my players was blatantly logging on to check what was happening in another game (and frequently posting in it) but blatantly ignoring his character in mine. He just didn't like playing characters below 20th level and it really showed. I'll proabbly kick him out at the end of the adventure (and he seems to have realised, all he's done for seven round of combat is "stand at the back and let the others do the fighting" as if he thinks I'm going to pick on him just for being a prick).

Fabian

• Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2007, 03:25:16 PM »

:icon_neutral: doesn't like playing characters below 20th level? How weird! I think Epic Level Handbook and Deities and Demigods are the only rule books where I approach Balgin levels of "What the hell is this crud*?! This is so wrong!"
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2007, 03:49:03 PM »

Thanks for considering making the timeframe shorter. In Fabian's game it is 24 hours and some of the time that feels like forever wheneveryone else is online.

Fabian

• Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2007, 03:55:14 PM »

I think it's a tricky balance because each game has one Australian player and at least one American player (bizarrely the only people I've met in rl are the Aussies!). A 24 hour limit seems sensible when you consider that AgentMolar is probably asleep or at work when many of the posts happen in "Playthings". There was an odd moment today where all our time zones seemed to be in a favourable aspect (either that or Molar stayed up late!), so there are frenetic moments and lagging moments, but everyone has had a chance to drive the action and have a significant contribution. Balgin's game has 4 Brits/Limies/Poms to 1 Aussie and 1 Yank  :icon_wink: so it's quite funny to have the three of us (Alex, Dave and me) at a table wondering what the other three are doing!
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2007, 03:58:33 PM »

I know timezones do play a role but it seems in this case that it is more like forgetting to check on the game since he says he has noticed him on the FOD. I just hope it all get sorted. I am having a ton of fun Fabian's game and I can see from the little bit ogf Balgin's style and the players in this one that I am going to have fun in this game as well. I just hope it doesn't lag.

Alex

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2007, 04:12:39 PM »

Speaking of which, is the FOD down or is it just me?

I hope the other two can get back into it- I'm really rather enjoying myself, and I'd hate to see them miss out on all the fun! Has anyone actually heard from them?

Fabian

• Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2007, 04:13:40 PM »

Has Balgy PMed Teufel? Rod's having connection trouble of course.
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2007, 04:52:24 PM »

Has Balgy PMed Teufel? Rod's having connection trouble of course.

NBot yet. I'm trying to decide how to word it without causing offence.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2007, 04:54:39 PM »

Alex I wanted to say thank you for your write up. :occasion14: I loved it! :clap2: I am going to make a few small changes to fit the image I have in mind but I really feel you did capture the flavor I had in mind.

I also need to work a few things about Rogon and Kiaphas into it, but I need Mr Teuful and Rod for that :shrug: :icon_wink:

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2007, 05:06:25 PM »

Well my character in Zipp's game just took 15 damage in one round (not the kind of thing you want to happen to a 1st level character) which, added to the other 4 damage I'd taken earlier, puts me at pretty much dead.

And I was saving everyone's lives too (I personaly took out something like four or five of those giaks using a cunning combination of flanking, well timed defensive fighting and all out defence). And now a wonderful character's probably going to die (he was one of the group's two most fvaourite characters as well but I doubt they've got time to save me now :().

I blame the squire. If he'd stuck with my plan instead of insisting on taking the long way round, then I wouldn't have been in this much trouble in the first place. He's ac17 and 13hp too but he's actualy attacking at something liek +3 or +4 instead of my +0 :(.

Alex

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2007, 05:23:09 PM »

Hehe, glad you liked it!  :occasion14:

Make whatever changes you like; it's your character, so you know him best. I just had fun letting my imagination run away with the idea of a dwarf with a complex and a fascination for dragons! The character class seems to have quite interesting possibilities when you think about it, kind of like a barbaric paladin cross, with a bit of sorceror thrown in for good measure. Can't see it working so well in a civilised setting, but perhaps that's just the limitations of my imagination.

It'll work better when you work in his relationships with Rogan and Kiaphas, of course; it always feels more fleshed out when you include inter-character relations.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2007, 05:26:57 PM »

At least I'd given the keg of gunpowder to the ranger and told him what to do with it, If I hadn't done that we'd really be screwed.