Custom Hobby Forum

• November 22, 2018, 06:37:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your friendly happy Custom Hobby Forum moderators are working tirelessly to keep our community free of inane and useless rabble.  Please stand by while we adjust settings to keep things friendly for our loyal contributors while preventing spam from littering our little corner of the Internet.  Thank you!  -- The Custom Hobby team

Author Topic: Prepare to enter Deathtrap Dungeon  (Read 114325 times)

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
Re: Prepare to enter Deathtrap Dungeon
« Reply #450 on: October 04, 2007, 11:52:05 AM »

"Fetch the others.  And try and stop Sarian springing any more traps!" she smiles at Dekion as she says this to show her concern for Sarian's health.
:hal:   

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #451 on: October 04, 2007, 11:53:38 AM »

"Yeah I like the guy, lets keep him alive!" Dekion turns around and heads back to the room with the stairs.

eyeolas

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #452 on: October 04, 2007, 12:34:31 PM »

"There isn't much there I can make out, just some rubbish in a smallish room. There are more stairs going back up to this level at the other side however, is there a door further down the corridor that may lead to the same room?"

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #453 on: October 04, 2007, 02:17:53 PM »

"Rhana wants to check this long corridor and then we can all go check where the stairs go. They seem our only options anyway."

eyeolas

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #454 on: October 04, 2007, 03:24:02 PM »

"ok"

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #455 on: October 04, 2007, 03:57:45 PM »

So everyone wants to head up the long hallway, right?

eyeolas

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #456 on: October 04, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »

yup

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #457 on: October 04, 2007, 04:40:11 PM »

Very well then, on your own heads be it.

You all trudge up the hallway for about 80'. As you do you a few of you suspect you're ehading up a slight incline but nobody seriously mentions it to anyone else. At this point both Rhana and Ellion can see the dead end up ahead (making the hallway 130' long from the last door you've come across). Suspecting secret doors someone advances towards the hall's end and triggers a pressure plate in the floor. The cieling at the end of the hallway opens to let a large steel ball into the passage. It's rolling towards you all very fast and the last door is now 90' away!

It's time for you all to run like you've never run before since the boulder fills a rather large section of the passageway and dodging it would not be easy! I'm probably going to use luck for everybody on this one. Desparately you all race back towards the door and safety. Ellion slips and falls. The great ball of steel rolls over her with a horrible crunching sound and keeps moving. Hearing her cry out as she fell Dekion looks back, just in time for the ball to catch him a glancing blow. He is hurled against the wall and squashed as the ball rushes past. Sarian reaches the door and dives through with Rhana close behind. Unfortunately she is not as quick as he and is unable to draw in her leg before the ball rolls over it. She screams in pain as her angle and foot are crushed severely.

The ball rolls on and comes to a stop at the end of the hall (just on the brink of the pit). Now Sarian realises why it contained the remains of those who had fallen in. Looking back up the hallway he sees Dekion, slumped against the wall in a half sitting position clutching at his chest and cursing under his breath, and Ellion lying sprawled in the distance. She doesn't seem to be moving.

Dekion's luck roll = 9 (no bonus or penalty)
Reflex save = 16
Damage = 24 (lucky low roll)

Ellion's luck roll = another 9 (ouch)
Reflex save = 6
Damage = 31 (ouch)

Rhana's luck roll = 7 (it's almost as if nobody's lucky today :()
Reflex save = 16 (oh hell)
Damage = 28

Sarian's luck roll = 20 (+6 bonus, as if he needed it)
Reflex save = 26
No damage

Would anyone like to use their luck to reduce the damage taken? I'd recommend Ellion try to reduce the damage with luck if none of the rest of you do. She is currently on -2 hp. If she uses luck to reduce the damage (and is successful) then she isn't at -2hp and will be able to sit up in a bit (obviously stunned by being crushed). I'vbe already added the damage to the respective character sheets but I'll update it if any of you end up taking less.

And yes, that's a nasty CR 5 trap. It's only CR 5?!  Ref save at 18 or 8d6 damage? I suppose either the "low" save dc offsets the damage or I'll have to reconsider that CR a bit. As it's a one off I don't need to worry about xp too much but if it was being run as part of a regular campaign then I'd be treating it as a CR 6 or 7 trap considering it's sheer damage potential, when handing out xp at the end of the session.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #458 on: October 04, 2007, 06:03:31 PM »

OOC: Did you remember to factor in the ring for his dexterity? Ouch we got our butts kicked! Yeah I think I want to use luck to reduce the damage. I get enough damage fighting everything.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 06:24:37 PM by Custom_Hobby »

Bodhi

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #459 on: October 04, 2007, 06:26:44 PM »

Oh yes oh yes. Ellion uses all the luck she can get on this one  :icon_eek:
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #460 on: October 04, 2007, 07:23:34 PM »

OOC: Did you remember to factor in the ring for his dexterity?

Yes (although I did forget Ellion's -3 dex penalty reducing her reflex save and roleld it unmodified).

Okay, Ellion's luck roll to reduce damage = 21 (phew). That's 6 points less damage. She's conscious (barely).

Dekion's luck roll to reduce damage = 17 (4 less damage).

I suspect Keep will want to use Rhana's luck on that leg injury but I'll wait for player confirmation on that one for now. It's about time Sarian didn't get mauled by a trap and this time he was the only one to escape uninjured (I was almost beginning to feel like the dice were picking on him).

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #461 on: October 04, 2007, 08:17:49 PM »

It is a good thing they were in his favor. He would have died.

eyeolas

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #462 on: October 05, 2007, 02:25:33 AM »

"rubbish*!" I first run up to Rhana and search her backpack for her potion of cure wounds and hand that to her, I then search in my backpack for my two and run over to Dekion, the Ellion and hand one to each of them.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #463 on: October 05, 2007, 04:30:33 AM »

Yes.  As much luck as possible on that damage roll please, Balgin!  And then a potion!  Thanks Eyeolas.
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #464 on: October 05, 2007, 10:38:05 AM »

Rhana's luck roll = 11 (so 1 less damge).