Custom Hobby Forum

• December 05, 2020, 09:54:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: The Rant Thread  (Read 52531 times)

Dr.Evil

• Time to take over the world!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Dragon
  • Ever watchful
Re: The Rant Thread
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2007, 05:08:10 AM »

I still have some software programs to install yet and three XP updates woun't install, they fail everytime i try.  :tantrum:

Wish Microsoft would update there update disk so it has all the latest updates and why don't they do update disks for there older windows as well.
It would mean they could remove the older windows updates for there site and make some money as well selling the disks.
Also make updating older windows more easy and quicker too.
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2007, 05:12:19 AM »

As a software engineer I have OPINIONS about software viruses.  Most of those are the same that everyone else has - but the thing that p_ss_s me off most about viruses is that they are written by idiots!!  OK, that goes without saying, really, but let me elaborate.

Most of the problems caused by viruses come about because they are badly written by boy-monkeys without the brains to realise that what they are attempting to do is complex.  It is the bugs in these lame half-_arsed attempts that most viruses are, that cause the most problems for people.  If you are genuinely stupid enough to want to infect other people's machines with your own self-portable little blobs of software, don't you at least want the damn things to stay unnoticed so that they stay on other people's machines doing whatever it is you want them to do? :tantrum:  Have you so little pride in your work that you don't even want to hide your lameness from other boy-monkey virus writers?

Come on you idiots - have a little self-respect.  If you've going to do something bad, at least have the pride in your work to do something bad properly!  Don't let yourself be seen on the internet for the d_psh_t, sh_t for brains, half-_rsed loser that people in real life know you for!!!

It is never k3wl, or l33t.  You're just all 7055p075 !!!!  :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

Edit: Corrected some minor grammer, as it was originally written in rant. :rant:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 10:28:16 AM by keeper40k »
:hal:   

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2007, 10:23:52 AM »

Ray we have someone who just did your rant thread proud! :tantrum: :protest: :argue: :Censored: :irked: :cussing: :angryfire: :angry9: :icon_wink: :occasion14:

Rays Bat

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2007, 05:26:43 PM »

Funny computers should be brought up now. Today, I got stuck on the start up. It would load the splash screen but instead of starting windows, a flashing cursor on a black screen came up. I could type or attempt to get into Bios or anything. Even the XP disk wouldn't run. I opened the side and started pulling cards out as it told me to do. Nothing. I debated replacing the hard drive with the one downstairs. Maybe the computer downstairs would let me get further and maybe I could fix it. In the end, I yanked all the plugs in the back out and it started working again! A full day behind the desk, getting dirty and VERY sweaty, and all I had to do was take the plugs in the back out! It seemed the DVD rewriter had buggered things up and I tried fixing THAT but it wouldnt work downstairs either so I think it's a lost cause. £66 that cost me. Since I do use it a lot, now I need a new one! I'm exhausted and I haven't had my cup of tea. :tantrum:

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2007, 05:35:16 PM »

Many many years ago a friend wrote a virus and sent it to Norton on a disc.

It was a simple virus.... it made your hard disc spin to the tune of the death march .... constantly until the HD broke.

Reputedly, Norton contacted him and asked him if he knew how to stop it as it had ruined three of their machines and they couldn't figure out how to stop it. :tantrum:

He never recommended Norton to anyone after that, and never released the virus.

Still loading software...... :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

Bruenor Odinson

• RPG Guild
  • Juvenile Dragon
  • Kiss My Axe!
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2007, 02:59:39 AM »

Sorry folks but this is a non computer related rant, but one I'm sure you can all relate to.

Just received a rather large order from Olley's Armies, and Gamers Quest yesterday, consisting of ALL the new Scrunts, and a load of Fenryll stuff, and ..............I CAN'T GET ANYWHERE NEAR PAINTING OR ASSEMBLING THE BLOODY STUFF AS I HAVE 2, YES 2 COMMISSIONS TO FINISH FIRST. ARRRGH!!!!!

The amusing thing is, without the commissions, I wouldn't have been able to purchase the above stuff, talk about catch 22.

:tantrum:                :Walkdrag:OOOOOooo I'm as mad as a mad Dragon that's really mad at something!!!!
:tantrum:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 03:02:02 AM by Bruenor Odinson »

Baldemyr

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2007, 08:30:30 AM »

What has IMO allowed GW to excel has been its gameworld, its miniatures and its art.  The 40k rules have never been that good (but honestly I have tried other games and found them equally crud*) so GW knows that isnt how they keep their fans.  So llooking at these three different areas:

Art:  Everyone here has seen my art(so know im heavily influenced)-the old timers (and some of the new peeps) are absolutely excellent.  While they have had their share of garbage, GW seems able to project its themes well through art.  The recent trend to anime styled Marines/enemies might mean trouble on the horizon

Miniatures:  GW in general still has great looking minis(if you are a fan of the themes they present)-they really do have some cutting edge stuff.  The problem is-other companies are getting better or are as good as GW. Rackham(with its brutal pricing) and Reaper come to mind

Game World:  Maybe im the only one that sees this but GWs greatest strength was a genuinely cool world(2 really..WHFB and W40k).  This is a combination of Holy Roman Empire, Starship Troopers, Dune and a few others.   The problem is that with the addition of new races, this background is being stretched too thin.  Look at the Imperium: 
1) The Orcs if ever gathered would kill everyone
2) Chaos is in all our hearts and just waits to turn us all into 1000 eyed drooling sheep/cattle. Let the Galaxy Burn
3)Tyranids The bug menace from beyond.  No one can defeat the Tyranids...NO ONE EVAR.  Our doom is here-let hail the trumpeters of Gotterdamerung
4)Necrons-the ancient menace awakens-Mars itself houses one of the Greatest Necrons-they walk within our society and they want all our souls to munch on over a pot of tea. We cant defeat the, hell we cant even get a hold of their technology to review it.  It all dissapears into Necron happy land for re-use
5)Tau  Ahhh...the glorious anime freaks.  Somehow their tiny empire is growing, is unaffected by Chaos, hasnt been touched by the Tyranids and the Necrons never seem to bother them.   

What went from the "Eternal Imperium" of a million worlds, whose continued existance is inievatable and unavoidable has become an empire on the brink.  Its downfall is inievatable now-and nothing your 1 bajillion Imp guard or 1 million marines do can stop that.  My unchangeable escape has become destroyable by the latest "army of the month" fad.  No-I dont just refer to the Imperium here.  Im actually referring to all the races.  It seems as if any hope has been removed simply to chuck another race or two in there-and in so doing they remove my glorious Squats without a moment of care and dont even have care for those players that purchased them. 
   Oddly enough, the game world has gotten darker as its target fanbase has gotten younger.  Should I blame this all on the Emo generation?

I honestly beleive that GW has driven a good storyline into garbage.  Without the storyline, there is no way I can continue being a fan-Reaper has some excellent toys...as does Rackham(with more boobies even) and I just find myself cringing with each add-on they make.

:soapbox:

Drives me bloody bonkers.

Edit by :wristy: You have to have an  :tantrum: in your post for this topic and you have now.  :icon_wink:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 08:35:50 AM by Wristaction »

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2007, 09:48:21 AM »

:yeahthat: :tantrum:

Only a mini-rant from me today :tantrum:

All you've said is why I still play Rogue Trader, and buy old GW minis that people don't want any more, from ebay.  Sure Rogue Trader isn't the best game ever, but it is certainly no worse than the current version, and more easily customised so you can use those Necrons and Tau that we have (but can't remember why, exactly, we bought them!).

GW have left me behind, really, but good luck and all the best to them - its their company to make or break after all, even if it does seem to be run by *******-*****-***-*****-***-*******s, at times. :tantrum:

I'd like the old company back :tantrum: But that isn't going to happen, so I'll just have to make by Imperial Army from the Book of the Astronmican from ebay-cycled squats and shiny new Grymn and Scrunts marching alongside cut-priced starship troopers (you know, they ones that no-one else wanted to buy, but when they reduced them to 50p a blister pack you just couldn't resist and spent £20!).  :scratch:

OK, this is becoming less a rant and more a nostalgia piece, which just makes me :tantrum: as I wanted a good rant!! Damnit!!!  :sad7: :rant:

Baldemyr

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2007, 12:48:13 PM »

I am designing my own new squats :)    I wont let GW take away my techno geniuses or make me play them as orks.

Er.

It costs 75 dollars for a PLASTIC dreadnaught from GW

Agentmolar

• Global Moderator
  • Young Adult Dragon
  • The Tooth is out there.
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2007, 07:24:19 PM »

My local GW manager got moved to another store and didnt even say good bye. Often i was his only customer when i went in on fridays..

:tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

And the new guys are giving me the pretend im your friend conversations.
Funny isnt it how naughty dentists always make their one fatal mistake.
Bye for now, keep your teeth clean
www.dentalserenity.com.au

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2007, 07:13:04 AM »

I am designing my own new squats :)    I wont let GW take away my techno geniuses or make me play them as orks.

Er.

It costs 75 dollars for a PLASTIC dreadnaught from GW

Er. :tantrum: Why?

http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.ca?do=Individual&code=99120101014&orignav=10

$55CA online, plus $10CA for postage within Canada @$149.99CA or less.

Did you mean 65 dollars? :tantrum:

Baldemyr

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2007, 08:07:24 AM »

No...you forgot the 15 percent tax. 

:tantrum:  Edited for Keeprs sake   :icon_suspicious:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 08:45:25 AM by Baldemyr »

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2007, 08:19:37 AM »

Ah, OK. :(

But you forgot the :tantrum: !

Dr.Evil

• Time to take over the world!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Dragon
  • Ever watchful
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2007, 03:37:05 AM »

Bloody royal mail!!!!!!  :tantrum:

Posted off a cheque on the 17th using 1st class recorded and was wondering what was taking so long.
So i just checked the ref number and it was only delivered YESTERDAY!!! the 27th.  :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

That's 11 days to delver a 1st class recorded letter that it says takes 2 working day's to delver, even with delays, 9 working day's is a bit much for a letter.
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction

dargrin

• Juvenile Dragon
    • www.darkgrinminiatures.com
« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2007, 08:00:10 PM »

Why do I post on Coolmini or not?  Am I high?  I put up a mini. I post what I think what my rating should be. What do know it goes down!  So I put in the discription  "If you give me a low score can you please tell me why? I can take it"  Sure enough the score goes down further with no replies why.  I should expect this but everytime I put something up I say to myself "It will be different this time."  What do know! It wasn't.  Maybe next time.

:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 04:08:22 AM by Bruenor Odinson »
Long term exposure to the Orb of Confusion will give you...er.. confusion!

I invite you to my dot on the web: http://www.darkgrinminiatures.com