Custom Hobby Forum

• November 30, 2020, 02:59:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Author Topic: Part 11: Back at the Abbey  (Read 18289 times)

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
Re: Part 11: Back at the Abbey
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2008, 03:46:37 PM »

Ivor waits a moment, nods to Raul, then follows Alarian, spells at the ready.

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2008, 11:40:11 PM »

As the Group reassembles Alarian asks, 'where do we go next? what is our next move in finding the forces behind these foul events?'
I'll be in my bunk.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2008, 05:15:20 AM »

At last having time to talk to the rest of the party without fear of Zombie attack, Raul fills in the rest of the part with the details of what we found in the mine, and the discovery of the thing in the tower.

"I think we should ask our friend the Abbot what he knows of these things, and then we can plan what needs to be done next."
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2008, 09:21:44 AM »

Given that no corpses seem to be attacking, the abbot and Naedath open up the door to the abbot's chamber and invite you all in. Abbot Olmaren suggests the group gather their knowledge and discuss what they know. Naedath agrees, adding that now would also be a good time to plan ahead.

All are agreed that the Grimorden, an ancient demon from the elder times, lies contained within some form of prison deep beneath the island. The three gemstones which have been stolen seem to be a part of that prison.

Upon arrival at the island the group witnessed the wounding of some strange sort of shape changing sea creature. They saved her life and she gave them a pearl, indicating that it should be hurled into the ocean when her aid is required.

A large ruby has been recovered from within the hollow tree by the Esmian shrine. Unfortunately, when Raoul returned with it to the ruins he could not remember whhich hole the ruby should fill and so did not replace it (intending to return to the abbey and study brother Oswin's sketch).

When the second attack occurred, the shadowy creature seemd different to that which had carried ou the first attacks, larger and more substantial. When it reached out to snatch away the amulet of turning, the amulet exploded, slaying all in the vicinity and hurling the abbot back against the altar. When he regained consciousness, it was gone.

By the ruins there were signs of a scuffle and the dead body of a monk could be seen on a ledge at the bottom of the cliff (just above the water). A narrow and treacherous path lead down to his body but no-one investigated further.

The ghost of Wynsar Haldin has been seen on two separate occassions now, once in the house of healing and once in the small cove near the shrine of Esmia, where Raoul unfortunately witnessed her murder by one of the labourers, not death by Khardic plague as the monasteries records say. At this point the abbot reluctantly states that Wynsar Haldin was unfortunately murdered by a labourer called Klinn. When the monks discovered his foul deed they chased him and he fled into the shed which then somehow caught fire and burned down. It has since been rebuilt but always feels unnaturally cold when anyone goes there.

The lighthouse, that is the mysterious elven tower, holds two or three secrets. There is a single piece of glass in a stained glass window on the upper floor. When looked through it reveals a large pair of stone doors on the side of the southcrown hill just above the quarry. This piece of glass may be removable.

Beneath the tower is a small chamber housing a large black sphere, almost ten feet across. It's surface resembles glass but seems to shift and move like water. Like water, but as if controlled by some intelligent power, or as if some great form shifts beneath the waves. All who observe the black orb get a diquieting feeling of being watched. A thin mist hangs upon the floor of the entire cavern and a thin line of green energy emerges from the sphere, flowing into the far wall and entering the carved stone. A beam of green light shines into the wall (heading directly to it's corresponding beam of white light from the other part of the prison beneath the ruined hall).

There was a general consensus that Naedath and Rogon should examine these two spheres.

In the hidden chamber beneath the ruins is a smaller sphere with receptacles for three gems. The beam of white light became green near the wall where a secret door with no clear method of openning it was set. Ivor realised that it would need someone very mentally advanced or spiritualy pure for the door to open (high int, wis and char scores) and that none of that party could achieve such a feat (although it may be possible with certain spells.

Now when I chatted through this with Paul at the weekend it took something like an hour, hour and a half maybe. Given that there's a lot more than two of you (but the events were very recent and easy to remember) I think I'll put about two hours on the clock so it's about half nine in the evening now. Maybe closer to ten.

Let's call it 10. That way Raoul gets to regain 12 points of subdual damage instead of 8 :) (and the abbot's probably recovered all of his by now).

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2008, 11:45:59 AM »

Alarian Yawns widely, and streaches after the recap of events 'I think at this point rest is in order after we sup, planning  and disicion making can be cared for in the morning.' 'as the  good abbots room has been proof against entry up till now i suggest we all bunk close to it tonight after we have eaten.'
Alarian questions the group 'a watch should be aranged for tonight as well, how should we  sort it out?'
I'll be in my bunk.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2008, 01:04:36 PM »

"I'll take first watch. I'm not tired yet" Aurum sits down to lovingly clean & sharpen his axe.

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2008, 03:51:51 PM »

Ivor takes te last watch - he can spend the last hour preparing his spells.
(Will check list later and amend as needs be).

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2008, 10:36:38 AM »

'then i'll take the middle, so let us break our fast and then to bed.' says  Alarian 'But where will we all sleep?'
I'll be in my bunk.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »

Aurum stops cleaning Axerager for a second and looks up "What about the large room we just fought in? It's big enough for all of us."

Mr Teufel

• Young Dragon
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2008, 10:01:26 PM »

"This sounds reasonable. How many exits does it have? Are there windows?"
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 10:22:27 PM by Custom_Hobby »

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2008, 11:33:10 PM »

Im agreed to that, so long as we eat first before cleaning up the room, and an open window would certainly help clear the last of the smoke and smell.
I'll be in my bunk.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2008, 04:57:50 AM »

"Sounds perfectly fine to me.  It has been a long, long day!"
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 07:59:21 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2008, 08:32:47 PM »

Everyone moves into the council chamber. Not only does it have plenty of floorspace but it also has some chairs to sit in as well (although some of these are fairly badly burned by now). People manouver the dead bodies out of the room and onto the landing and then they settle down for a hearty meal and then sleep. Aurum finds himself a spot by the table where the book of records sits. From here he can see all three windows and the door ('though his view of the window in the near wall isn't perfect).

He leans his back against the wall and lets his eyes adjust to the darkness. Slowly he hears the breathing in the room settle and merge into the slow tidal breath of a sleeping crowd. The effect is almost soothing but he is determined to stay awake. As he stands guard his mind wanders. The few candles people lit to illuminate their eating are flicking away, slowly dwindling to nothing. In fact it might be a good idea to put them out, so as not to draw unwanted attention. Just as he comes to the realisation that there will be no cock's crow to wake them in the morning, he realises the room seems a bit colder. Well that's to be expected in these island settlements.

And so the room gets colder and the shadows darker. In fact that shadow in the corner seems particularly dark. The darkness almost seems to be spreading (despite the nearby candle). And it has eyes. Glowing red eyes!

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2008, 09:17:26 AM »

Surprise Round & Round 1:

As the shadowy form of Klinn coallesses out of thin air, Aurum shouts a warning to his friends. Many are already awake, too cold to remain asleep. As Kiaphas' eyes flutter open he feels a dread chill touch in his shoulder. Looking up he sees a glowing flame-like pair of eyes looking down at him out of the darkness.

Leeping to his feet, Alarian flinches as shadowy fingers pass by his throat. Shouting an alarm he draws his sword and slashes at the shadowy fiend. Unbelieveably his blades passes right through it as if it was not there! Bellowing Aurum charges to stand over Kiaphas and swings at the darkling creature. Splinters of stone scatter as his axe impacts on the wall behind it.

Abbot Olmaren sits bolt upright and cries out "it comes, it comes again!" Too terrified to point, he sits stock still. Ivor sits, shakes his head and, spying the intruder, reaches across and pulls one of the spidery arms down from his mechanical pack. A crystal lense no rests before his eyes and he readies the flame nozzle for a dealy gout of fire.

Raoul rises, grasping the northman's sword found in a ship's wreck at the seabed. He is busy attaching his shield to his arm when he realises it won't be much use to him as it's a small room and everyone's in his way. Rogan too is on his feet, mace in hand.

Clutching his trident Kiaphas crawls as far away from the creature as he can, pausing only when he reaches a wall, he gains his feet and stands. Meanwhile, outside on the roof Squall observes movement in the courtyard below.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2008, 10:15:23 AM »

Round 2:

As Alarian prepares to stab at the shade, it's shadowy hand passes through his shoulder and he feels a deathly chill spreading through him. The numbing pain is so great that he almost drops his sword. Desparately he lashes out, his blade flickering in the light as it passes harmlessly through the shadow. Aurum and Rogan, the brothers dwarf, strike at the thing but axe and mace pass harmlessly through it's shadowy form. Dropping his sword and shield, Raoul grasps his bow and lets loose an arrow that clatters harmlessly off the stonework behind the fiendish shade!

Adjusting his telescopic eyepiece, and giving the rim a slight twist for range finding, Ivor clutches at the flame nozzle and squeezes the trigger. With a woosh a great gout of flame streaks out over the heads of the assembled warriors and pours down upon the shade of Klinn.

Klinn sees the flames too late. The flames that had been his downfall. Fire slew him, and fire he feared above all else. The sight of the roaring sizzling burning bright light sent his mind sinking deep into his subconscious and mindlessly he fled. With a low wail the shadowy form flies out of the window, tugging at first, as if it cannot leave the fire. But then the rest of it catches up with the tugging urge and it is gone in a rush.

From the rooftop Squall shudders as the unnatural form flees past her. She watches it flit across to the toolshed where it seesm to dissipate into the walls of the place. Giving the matter no further thought she turns her attention once more towards the corpse shuffling towards the guest house. One of the human animals went in there earlier, the loud one who stank of veneomous vapours. That one had earlier been in the room with all the food. How stupid these people were to keep so much food, much more than they need, and to not eat it, or share it with others who went hungry, others like Squall who e'en now was tempted by the smell of food from below.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 10:34:52 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up