Custom Hobby Forum

• January 19, 2021, 12:24:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your friendly happy Custom Hobby Forum moderators are working tirelessly to keep our community free of inane and useless rabble.  Please stand by while we adjust settings to keep things friendly for our loyal contributors while preventing spam from littering our little corner of the Internet.  Thank you!  -- The Custom Hobby team

Author Topic: Ivor, Paul's character  (Read 10188 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
Ivor, Paul's character
« on: May 22, 2007, 11:03:50 AM »

Name: Robartobolo Panocerro Strobelkin Mergin Fratellook Wogranian Fiestimo Stubblechin Tinklinkle (Ivor to his friends)
Race: Gnome
Class: Wizard
Level: 5
Xp: 10880

Str: 10 +0
Dex: 14 +2
Con: 12 +1
Int: 19 +4
Wis: 8 -1
Cha: 10 +0

Fortitude Save: +2 (+1 Base, +1 Con)
Reflex Save: +3 (+1 Base, +2 Dex)
Willpower Save: +3 (+4 Base, -1 Wis)

Hit Points: 19
Armour Class: 13 (touch 13, flat footed 11)
(10 base, +2  dex, +1 size)

Initiative: +2
BAB: +2

Melee: +3
(+2 base, +0 str, +1 size)
Ranged: +5 (+2 base, +2 Dex bonus, +1 size)

Attacks:

Appraise: +4
(0 rank, +4 int)
Bluff: +0 (0 ranks, +0 cha)
Climb: +0 (0 ranks, +0 str)
Concentration: +10 (9 ranks, +1 con)
Craft, alchemy: +11 (7 ranks, +4 int)
Craft, clockworks: +11 (7 ranks, +4 int)
Diplomacy: +0 (0 ranks, +0 cha)
Disguise: +0 (0 ranks, +0 cha)
Escape Artist: +2 (0 ranks, +2 dex)
Forgery : +4 (0 ranks, +4 int)
Gather Information: +0 (0 ranks, +0 cha)
Handle Animal: +0 (0 ranks, +0 cha)
Heal: -1 (0 ranks, -1 wis)
Hide: +6 (0 ranks, +2 dex, +4 size)
Intimidate: +0 (0 ranks, +0 cha)
Jump: +0 (0 ranks, +0 str)
Knowledge, Arcana: +11 (7 ranks, +4 int)
Knowledge, architecture & engineering: +11 (7 ranks, +4 int)
Knowledge, the Planes: +9 (5 ranks, +4 int)
Listen: -1 (0 ranks, -1 wis)
Move Silently: +2 (0 ranks, +2 dex)
Ride: +2 (0 ranks, +2 dex)
Search: +4 (0 ranks, +4 int)
Sense Motive: -1 (0 ranks, -1 wis)
Spellcraft: +13 (7 ranks, +4 int, +2 synergy)
Spot: -1 (0 ranks, -1 wis)
Survival: -1 (0 ranks, -1 wis)
Swim: +0 (0 ranks, +0 str)
Use Rope: +2 (0 ranks, +2 dex)

Feats: combat casting, craft wondrous item, Sudden Widen,

Class features: wizard weapon proficiencies, scribe scroll, familiar (optional pet),

Racial Stuff: small (+1 to attacks & ac, +4 hide, -4 grapple penalty, two thirds of normal encumbrance limits), low light vision, weapon familiarity, +2 to saves vs illussions, +1 save dc on all illussions he casts, +1 to hit kobolds & goblinoids, +4 ac against giant type, +2 to listen, +2 to craft-alchemy, gnomish spell innates (speak with burrowing animals, dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation).

Spells Known:
Level 0: All Of Them!
Level 1:
burning hands, colour spray, expeditious retreat, featherfall, lesser orb of fire, mage armour, obscuring mist, shocking grasp, true strike,
Level 2: acid arrow, mirror image, scorching ray, spiderclimb,
Level 3: fireball, shadow binding
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:18:58 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Alex

Re: The Gnome, Alex's character
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:17:57 AM »

I think you're right- curse my mathematical skills! Just tack the two points on Con to bring it to 14

As for a name: Robartobolo Panocerro Strobelkin Mergin Fratellook Wogranian Fiestimo Stubblechin Tinklinkle. (doing my best to rival Keeper here!)

Pretty much any of these are a bit much for his friends, and by some twisted logic that made far more sense in the pub than it seems to in daylight, they have settled on 'Ivor' as a day-to-day nickname for him.

The whole conversation passed over Ivor's head (both figuratively and literally.)

Edit: figured I'd put this here for ease of reference.

IVOR'S EQUIPMENT
to Ivor's equipment, here's the list:

1. Heward's Handy Haversack- 2000gp
(1 pocket filled with assorted stuff for using his clockwork alchemy stuff- ??gp)
2.  Explorer's outfit (for all the handy pockets!)- 10gp
3. Cold weather outfit (his mother always told him to wrap up warm)- 8gp
4. Masterwork Light Crossbow- 335gp
5. 50 bolts- 5gp
6. Masterwork cold iron dagger- 304gp
 (I see this as a swiss army knife sort of thing. Can I add a silver blade to it too?- ??gp)
7. Clockworker's tools 5gp
8. Spellbook 15gp
9. Additional paper- 10 sheets of parchment- 2gp
10. Pen and ink- 8gp 1sp
11. Rope and hook 2gp
12. Bedroll 1sp
13. Hooded lantern 7gp
14. Oil x2 2sp
15. Spell component pouch 5gp
16. Caltrops x2  2gp
17. Blanket 5sp

<other stuff subject to approval>
Scroll of mage armour x2 25gp (self-made)
Scroll of featherfall 12.5gp (self-made)
Scroll of expeditious retreat 12.5gp (self-made)
Scroll of fireball 375gp

(alchemist stuff- self-made)
Alchemist's fire x4 40gp
Acid x4 20gp
Smokestick x2 20gp
20 Matches 10gp

3398.9gp total= 201gp 1sp to spend.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:49:50 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Alex

Re: Ivor, Alex's character
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »

Hmm... hadn't realised about the class abilities being tied to charisma. I suppose you could put those extra points on Cha instead of Con.

As for skills, I'd like to max out Craft (clockwork or whatever,)  Craft (alchemy), knowledge (architecture and engineering), Spellcraft and maybe Use magic device(?). Feats-wise, Craft wondrous item as soon as I can; 1st level needs a bit more thought.

How will it go as far as spells in my book? How many/level roughly are you letting me know to start with?

I'd mentioned somewhere before that I'd like him to have a magic backpack. I picture this as a cross between a proton pack and inspector Gadget. Mechanically, a variant of Heward's Handy Haversack, but covered in random servo arms, whirly bits and whatnots. Basically, he'd reach for a 'gadget' to cast a spell and it would kinda just come to hand without him actively looking for it, and it contains a lot of random bits and pieces he experiments with to produce new spell effects.

I figured when we're starting at 4th level, it wouldn't be a big deal having a magic item like this, but as always, it's subject to your approval.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 04:06:52 PM »

Well you'll start knowing 7 spells (3+4, right) at 1st level? After that you'd get two more 1sts and then 4 more spells that could be 1st or 2nd.

After that we'll see about giving you a few more (but not too many).

Of course you could go all out obscene and take the collegiate wizard feat (double starting spells and 4 spells every level up as well). It's a hell of a lot from a single feat but you have to take it at 1st level (and for a nonhuman that's a lot to pile into one feat you won't really benefit from 'till 3rd or 4th level).

He does seme to be a bit more of a lonely inventor than a kid who's been to a grand colledge of magick 'though.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 04:20:43 PM »

Well, I'm 'acquiring' a copy of Complete Arcane, so I'll have a bit of a look through that. I was curious more for trying to figure out how many gadgets I'd have to make up than anything else.

I had thought about maybe his parents having gotten him a scholarship at a university or something. He'd be constantly missing classes, holed up in his room tinkering with things, though somehow managing to pass all the exams he took with flying colours. His inventions get him noticed, and he gets kidnapped and forced to design war machines. One of these explodes during a siege, killing a lot of his captor's men and blowing a breach in the wall. By the time the attackers manage to get through, he'd been chained up in the dungeon to be dealt with later. Raul rescues him and the rest is history!

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 05:00:25 PM »

I'd mentioned somewhere before that I'd like him to have a magic backpack.

I like it, it fits in with his concept and I'm sure we can make sure it won't be overpowered (probably be the only thing he has). I'm not going to do DMG "recommended" wealth because that's a bit obscene but something around two thirds of whatever that recommends for 4th level characters seems okay (without too much magic stuff). Since you guys are going to be embarking on a sea voyage you'll be needing to leave behind some stuff (the boat's not that big) so prepare to travel light. It's only a research mission afterall.

Alex

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 06:54:44 PM »

Yeah, I'd pictured it like one of those huge rucksacks with the metal frames, on which was mounted a small rat-cage with a wheel attached to a tesla coil sort of thing (spell component for electricity spells) a tank with a hose and nozzle attached (spell component for fire spells- adjustable nozzle produces varying effects), maybe another for acid, a big box near the top with a strange mechanism of mirrors and prisms (generating illusions and whatnot) and some sort of servo arm that can get inside a bag of holding and produce whatever's needed for a spell other than those mentioned above.

Basically it's a Bag of Holding crossed with a spell component pouch. (with a cage for his familiar tacked on.) The contraptions themselves don't do anything other than act as the arcane focus for the spells. His outfit itself is covered in pockets and whatnot containing other random stuff like tanglefoot bags and so on. A set of goggles with various lenses and so on act as the focus for any detection spells, like Detect Magic.

It's the sort of thing that only this character can get away with using- anyone else would just be overwhelmed by the sheer number of toggles and switches (not to mention the fact that it only works because Ivor's a wizard in the first place.)

The other thing I thought would be cool would be some sort of patent-pending pursuit deterrent system- basically a pouch on the bottom of the backpack that could be opened with a ripcord and scattered caltrops and maybe smoke bombs if the gang needed a quick getaway.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 08:52:30 PM »

I had this idea that there's got to be a crane on it and a antern hanging off something sticking out of one of the sides too that only lights up when he casts his light spell.

Alex

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 08:56:53 PM »

mixed in with a bit of this:

Here's a rough image of what Ivor looks like (or at least, the closest I could find on a quick google image search.)

His backpack is much bigger- like a full-size military-issue rucksack-n and covered in random gadgets- a whirly prism thing over one shoulder, a tesla coil connected to his rat's cage over the other, and various tanks and hoses etc fixed to the rest of it. He's got a number of different goggles and lenses, for use in detection spells and the like, and a pouch full of odds and ends he can use to come up with other spell components when necessary.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 11:18:13 AM by Alex »

Mr Teufel

• Young Dragon
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 10:54:34 AM »

Sorry. Just red x's to me.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 10:57:18 AM »

Sorry. Just red x's to me.

Same here. I just hadn't got round to telling him yet :(.

Alex

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 11:09:50 AM »

That any better?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 11:18:55 AM by Alex »

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 11:20:31 AM »

Yep.....

Okay, I'd envisaged something chunkier, like a pack half his size that extends up over his shoulders and has lots of bits coming off the sides.

Alex

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 11:22:17 AM »

Yeah, like I said, it was the best I could find on google last night. It's much more like a proton pack or an army rucksack.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 12:59:43 PM »

It makes a nice avatar