Custom Hobby Forum

• April 11, 2021, 09:47:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: Introduce yourself...  (Read 56026 times)

minimaker

• Dragon Egg
    • My photopage
Re: Introduce yourself...
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2007, 06:41:03 AM »

Hi Irene,

good to see you here. So you're going into jewellery making? Have you had training or are you doing it all by yourself? I've had a year of training at a local group. Unfortunately I had to quit when I went to work in another town. I'd love to pick it up again. So would Cindy by the way. She's had more training than I did at another group. The focus of the two group was different so apart from the basics of cutting, forming and soldering we've used different techniques. I've done silver casting (I've cast three dragonhead which I first sculpted in green and then made a cast of in wax) and wirework while she has done hammering and stonesetting. Anyway, I'd say, set up a section for that on your forum and we'll chat about that too. :)

Bye for now, Ming-Hua

Bodhi

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2007, 10:20:34 AM »

I haven't got the time to take up jewelrymaking but making a few designs in greenstuff and then have someone ELSE cast it in silver sounds like an interesting thought. Ming: Do you know of anyone who provides such a service?

One idea I've allways wanted to do is a  tiny evil pixie working his way through an ear -where the upper body would make one part of an earring (ear stud? I'm unsure about the proper english name here?), the lower body the other part  :icon_razz:

I did start my sculpting years ago with making earrings in fact though they were cernit ones that I sold the originals of at festivals and streets. I hated the streetvendoring bit but the sculpting was fun.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 10:24:08 AM by Bodhi »
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

Dr.Evil

• Time to take over the world!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Dragon
  • Ever watchful
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2007, 11:11:24 AM »

Good to see you Irene.  :icon_razz:

Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction

minimaker

• Dragon Egg
    • My photopage
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2007, 07:40:50 PM »

Ming: Do you know of anyone who provides such a service?
You best talk to your local silversmiths (not just a jeweller). How refined are the greens? If they are not too refined a silversmith could cast them in sand. Even double sided. A more precise process is the lost wax process. Check with your silversmith if he can work from a green. Or you could make some wax copies yourself (get wax from the silversmith). The process is nearly the same as metal casting of miniatures.
There are also professional silver casting foundries who will be able to do the whole process for you. Not sure where they are in your country though.

By the way, unless you have experience at it or supervision, don't cast silver yourself. The temperatures are a lot higher than with white metals and it behaves quite different.

Hope this helps.

Bye, Ming-Hua

Zordana

• Dragon Egg
    • Tiny Souls
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2007, 01:52:01 AM »

Cheers :)

Ming-Hua, I'm just doing it by myself. Nothing as indepth as silver casting, just making earrings and bracelets using findings and pearls/swarovski crystals/ and different types of beads. I just purchased a bunch of sterling silver findings to work with when Ava lets me get back into it :)

A forum is a good idea, I might just do that once I get back into the swing of things :)

Your evil pixie idea sounds cool, Bodhi :D
I sleep in a drawer

gi6ers

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2007, 05:30:45 AM »

You know Sally over at HF does the odd bit of jewellry too...

Zordana

• Dragon Egg
    • Tiny Souls
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2007, 05:44:08 AM »

Really? I didn't know that :)
I sleep in a drawer

Dr.Evil

• Time to take over the world!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Dragon
  • Ever watchful
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2007, 07:49:46 AM »

Sally made a ring for Pocket's for when he asked Amber to marry him.  :toothy11:
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2007, 07:57:54 AM »

aaaaahhhhhhhhhh

brings a tear to me eye

Welcome to the new people !!!!

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2007, 11:14:30 PM »

The ring was Beautiful! :thumbsup: Welcome Zor! :wave: Glad to see you and Ava over here.  :toothy9:

Inso

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
  • Often misguided and misunderstood
    • Inso's Blog
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2007, 07:55:34 AM »

Hi, I'm Steve.  I fix helicopters for a living.  I'm a family man with a wife and two children.

I've been in the collecting/painting hobby for over 20 years.  I have mostly collected GW stuff but have completely switched to other manufacturers over the last couple of years...mostly Grymn from Hasslefree.

I rarely game; in fact I haven't done so for about 10 years now but I do collect to lists and have most of the WH40k codecies in order to do so.  I don't necessarily use GW troops though.

I sculpt minis to varying standards and have done sculpts for other people...but I'm certainly no pro.

I frequent the FoD and various other forums as either Inso or Insomniac.

I am going to Salute this year...YAY!

I am an insomniac which means that sometimes I don't make much sense (which only adds to my eccentric character).

I wish I had a puppy.
Another Day Older; Another Day Closer To Death.

To while away a few moments, have a look at this:

http://insosworld.blogspot.com/

gi6ers

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2007, 10:00:19 AM »

I wish I had a puppy.

Get a KFC, they taste the same..welcome aboard!

navarr

• Inner Circle
  • Dragon Egg
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2007, 10:33:53 AM »

Okay,

I am a bit tardy in doing this.  I was one of the first to sign up for Mike's list when he started it and am just now getting to the point to post.  Our local group has a forum site that I haven't posted to in weeks because I am so busy. 

My name is Nick.  I am the other half of the Charcon Convention that Travis mentioned in his intro. 

I live in WV. 

I do mainly LOTR.  A large number of CH's LOTR pieces are in my collection.  I think I am responsible for putting the Mike(s) children through college and medical school and their large collection of porche 911's they park at their beachfront houses.    :icon_w00t:

Mike has posted several of the pieces on this forum.  Here is a link to a photobucket page with some of the LOTR battles I have ran at various cons:

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j114/navarr_2006/

You can see the Helms Deep set, Minas Tirith, Grond, siege towers, orc landing craft, corsair ships, ect, in the pics that are all from CH.

CH is currently working on a couple of new projects for Origins 07 for me.  One, of course, is a LOTR project and the other is a sci-fi set. 

I won't say anything about them until the Mike's are ready to show some pics. 

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2007, 11:18:21 AM »

Good to see you on here Nick. Everyone is going to love that Sci-fi set once we are ready to post it.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2007, 09:19:30 AM »

My name is Dave.  I paint and play with toy soldiers, and I haven't had a life for 15 years   :icon_neutral:  :icon_beer:
I mostly paint to relax, to a reasonable and improving standard.  I paint both fantasy and sci-fi in various scales, but at heart I am deeply sci-fi  :abduct:

I sometimes find time to play wargames, when a hole in my schedule happens to coincide with one of my gamer friends.  Recently it has mostly been Epic40k and near-future stuff, but I have been known to play other stuff, including AD&D and Traveller as well as other wargames.

At the moment I am painting:
1) Baccus6mm Austrian Napoleonic Army;
2) 2x Hasslefree Harem Guards;
3) Pendraken 10mm Aliens (various);
4) A 6mm/10mm Farmhouse/Countryhouse with a tower;
5) An Epic40k Ork Army;
6) 500pts of 40k Space Marines;
7) Anything else that takes my fancy  :icon_razz:
:hal: