Custom Hobby Forum

• November 30, 2021, 11:22:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your friendly happy Custom Hobby Forum moderators are working tirelessly to keep our community free of inane and useless rabble.  Please stand by while we adjust settings to keep things friendly for our loyal contributors while preventing spam from littering our little corner of the Internet.  Thank you!  -- The Custom Hobby team

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down

Author Topic: RR pre game talk  (Read 22638 times)

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
Re: Another idea for a campaign
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 02:49:35 PM »

How do we do the stats? 4d6 drop the lowest?  Also do we do our possesions and get them later?

Do you have the 'Savage Species' book? He could be a multiclass ('x' levels of imp & 'y' levels of whatever class). He could be in jail simply for being an imp. Do you have a problem with an evil character?

Chrysalis what type of character do you want to play?

Oh! I'm aboard! Great!!!  :icon_w00t:

I haven't been creating a character for so long that I don't know what to do.

May I play a Gnoll?

eyeolas

• Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 03:30:19 PM »

Ok, lauful is fine, but preferably not LG if it can be helped (I'm not restricting no paladins, they can't help it)

4d6 drop the lowest is fine

don't write anything in the possessions bit of your sheet, you will be equipt with weapons, armour, items etc as the games goes on, and as I see fit.

Gnolls are fine

Balgin, so there not overpowered as they sound aye? I am getting a sence of a strong connction between you and dwarves

Oh, and I forgot, no dragons or half dragons, or dragon shamans or diciples etc. Nothing tat makes you dragon like.

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 04:06:47 PM »

Gnolls are fine

Great! I know there is a booklet about the Gnolls, but I don't have it. I can scratch a character from the monster manual (with a +1 LA), unless somebody knows the gnolls racial features...

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 04:28:25 PM »

Ok I will roll mine up and send you the sheet.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 04:44:43 PM »

Balgin, so there not overpowered as they sound aye? I am getting a sence of a strong connction between you and dwarves.

How many fighter classes do you know with medium (cleric) attack bonus and a serious lack of feats? :p

Mike, do you have this book in pdf form? If not then I'd have to write a lot of stuff out by hand (and I don't mind doing that but it'll take a lot longer). I'll see what his chances of making a new gun would be ('cause if it's missing then recovering it would probably be very difficult indeed).

I just wanna use the "incoming fire" class feature where he gets to treat incoming ranged weapons as clay pidgeon shooting practice :). He might even shout "pull" as well just before he shoots them down. Almost all the class features use hp to activate. So, if I took the Sharpshooting class feature (+1 to hit), he'd need to pay 1hp for every shot he used it on. So stuff burns down slowly (and having a hp cost to use feats makes them considerably less powerful). I like the Lone Wolf spellcasting system (it's hp/power points based instead of the Vancian spell slot system of much crud*ness).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 04:49:44 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

eyeolas

• Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 04:46:23 PM »

quite a few...

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2007, 04:50:37 PM »

See the rest of my post. The hp costs really offset the class abilities in the long run. I think even the rapid reload ones (tiers 1, 2 and 3) have hp costs (per shot!!!!).

Plus Lone Wolf characters don't get feats (but they get more class features). Many people say the dwarven gunner is slightly underpowered if anything (especialy with no feats 'till 2nd level).

eyeolas

• Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 04:56:32 PM »

You just said a bunch of things I don't know. I have never heard of lone wolf, or of this class so yes, it would take some typing on your part to even let me consider it, and at the moment it is sounding like it has seriouse ups and seriouse downs.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2007, 05:16:03 PM »

Don't worry, I haven't committed to playing yet but I'll jot down a summary of what you could expect to see by 6th level anyway.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 05:29:29 PM »

Sorry Balgin I don't have that one.

Eyeolas I think I am going to make the Imp a Rogue
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 05:50:25 PM by Custom_Hobby »

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007, 06:00:06 PM »

Sorry Balgin I don't have that one

Oh I've got the book, just no pdf version of it :p.

Okay, so what would a gunner have at 6th level then......

No racial abilities (exept for the "no speed penalties for encmubrance and armour" one, Borese dwarfs don't get con bonuses, darkvision or combat bonuses against things, worst luck (although the +4 dodge bonus against giants might make sense to put back in)). Craft skills (armourer, blacksmith, weaponsmith) are treated as class skills whatever class he takes levels in if multiclassing.

No Feats

HD d10
BAB: +4
Fort +5
Ref +2
Will +3

Skill Points : 2 per level (quadruppled at 1st, + int mod obviously)

Class Skills: appraise, concentration, craft, disable device, intimidate, jump, knowledge (architecture and engineering, history, religion & warfare), speak language and swim.

All simple & martial weapon proficiencies + dwarven waraxe, dwarven rifle & dwarven pistol. All armour profs, shield prof (but not tower shield).

Forge Lore: Can always take 10 on any craft (blacksmith, armoursmith or weaponsmith) check in any conditions (including stuff like ignoring combat happening all around him as he straps a bomb together or something like that)

Smoke Shot: Uses 2 powder charges (instead of 1) and creates a cloud of thick smoke around the gun barrel that glasts for 1d4 rounds. It grants the gunner 50% concealment but due to being used to it, his foes only get 25% concealment against him (they'd get 50% concealment against anyone else 'though).

Advanced Smithing: No -2 penalty for not having the right tools for the job (in LWd20 doing things like eprforming first aid without a healing kit actualy incurr a -2 penalty so there's no real bonus there exept for the ability to work with shoddy or improvised tools out in the field).

Marksmanship +1d6 : basicaly adds d6 damage to all ranged attacks with his gun (30' pistols, 120' rifle)

2 Secrets of the Gun (from this list):

Uncanny Accuracy (1hp/shot): +1 damage (if taken multiple times the damage bonus increases but the hp cost remains the same)

Incoming Fire (2hp): May shoot down incoming non firearm shots (opposed attack roll & must have a loaded gun at the time or pay the hp costs to rapidly reload too)

Sharpshooting (1hp/shot): +1 to hit (if taken multiple times the attack bonus increases but the hp cost remains the same)

Rapid Load (cost varies):

If taken once, (1hp) reloading is a full round action, not two full round actions
If taken twice (2hp) relaoding is a move action (so he can shoot in the same round)
If taken 3 times (1hp/shot) then reloading is a free action so he can take as many shots as his BAB allows (if he's willing to pay the price)

Two Gun Mastery (may be taken 3 times): It's a complicated one that basicaly involves firing two pistols in the same round, the level 3 version costs 3hp.

Gunbutting (no cost): Can use the rifle as a greatclub without the risk of breaking it.

Sniper's Eye (4hp): If he spends a full round action aiming then, when he shoots next round, he gets to add in an extra +1d6 marksmanship die. it can be taken additional times for no extra cost, it doesn't add more marksmanship dice but instead reduces range penalties for that shot.

A free rifle (2d8 damage, (18)x2, 120' range increments), 26 bullets, powder for 12 shots.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 06:08:05 PM »

I used that link Fabian gave for rolling the stats and you can see them here http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?a=show&id=1291718

These are before racial adjustments and the extra point at 4th level.

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 02:25:09 AM »

I've been searching on the net for the racial features when creating a gnoll character, and here is how it comes:

Darkvision 60 ft

Strength +4
Constitution +2
Intelligence -2
Charisma -2

+1 natural armor

Automatic language gnoll, bonus language common, draconic, goblin, elven and orc.

Gnolls have a level adjustment of +1 and have D8 hit dices.

If it's ok, I'll roll my character with those...

« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 02:28:23 AM by Chrysalis »

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 03:03:14 AM »

This is everything you should need to make the character (I wasn't sure if you saw this or not)  http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/gnoll.htm

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 03:32:36 AM »

Thanks CH!

I think my gnoll will be a ranger...A nasty ranger  :icon_twisted:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up