Custom Hobby Forum

• December 04, 2020, 03:18:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Author Topic: Part 14: Diamasin's Tomb  (Read 5453 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
Part 14: Diamasin's Tomb
« on: March 26, 2009, 04:32:35 PM »

As Kiaphas and Rogan bring a bedraggled Aurum, gemstone in hand, to the hill above the the quarry, old Naedath is deep in conversation with Alarian and Ivor, who seem to be questioning the accuracy of his translation.

"No, no," he remains adamant, "it clearly says only the word of love and none of the elven words for love, beloved or anything else on that mater seem to be working. Now we all know that Diamasin loved Aedrinia -"

- and with a great grinding of stone the doors slowly swing open. Naedath's jaw drops in bafflement as the doors open to reveal a stone stairway descending into the hillside. As the group push inside the old sage can be heard muttering that he swears it was "word" and not "name" but that these elves will keep being "poetical" and "obfuscating even in matters as dire as these...."

At the base of the stairs a passageway runs east and west. To the east, the tunnel ends in a pile of rubble, having collapses years before those present were even born. To the west it leads away into darkness. The walls are earthen and have subsided here and there, making passage difficult but not impossible. Total collapse seems to have been prevented by the inclusion of pillars and props that are made of an unusual gray stone-like material that support the ceiling at regular intervals.

Eventually, the tunnel ends at a set of double doors made of the same gray material as the support struts. The doors are closed. Impatient to see the end of this mystery Raoul pushes the doors apart to reveal a square chamber about ten yards on each side, paved and walled with the same strange grey stone like material. Ivor believes he might have heard some rumour of dwarfs and gnomes using such a substance in the past. Miraculously it was mixed in some kind of liquid form and then was believed to set stronger than stone itself.* Some of the work on the upper walls seems to have been left unfinished and these sections seem to be shored up with wooden beams and granite.

In the middle of the room is a plinth of cut stone. Atop this is a tall urn painted a deep blue in color and sculpted so that wings extend from the neck, near the lid (remarkably similar to the elven funeral urn back at the abbey but this one remains unbroken and perfectly preserved). The urn is decorated with a flowing elvish script.

Around the walls of the room are smaller stone plinths, each being the stand for a different object. There are eight, in all, and each object glows with a silver light. They are:

A hauberk, cowl and leggings of fine Elven mail plus a shield emblazoned with a large white star, surrounded by three smaller stars (green, red and blue). This is the device of the Order of Vigilant Guard.

A single living rose.

An apple with a skin of silver.

A neck torc wrought with stylized symbols of trees.

A broken broadsword the hilt set with amber.

A wooden casket carved about with dragon-like renderings.

A silver ring inlaid with ancient Elven symbols.

A single arrow with feathers flecked with red and gold striations.

As the assembled company cast their gaze upon the collection of strange goods Naedath approaches the urn and reads aloud (his spell still functioning, "here lie the last remains of Lord Diamasin, left buried like some human chieftain, according to his own wishes. The Order of the Vigilant Guard is disbanded, but their task continues. Our Lord’s spirit watches over Elmardia until there comes a day when the Grimorden is truly defeated.

When that day dawns we beseech thee to scatter Diamasin’s ashes into the
wind so that his spirit may find the Holy Glade and thus be reunited with
his kin."

Frowing he adds that "I suppose that day may soon come. We seem to be deeper in than we expected when first we came to this isle. Now these wondrous goods much be grave goods, burial gifts left for the dead lord."

And suddenly he jumps half out of his skin for each of the assembled company hears the same voice speaking within their head 'though their ears hear it not. The voice is gentle and flkavoured with an elven litling tone. "Choose once my friends for I can grant but one gift to each of you."

* Yeah, I just realised it's concrete too :P.

Okay go for it folks. You can grab one item each (the shield and mail armour count as a single item). Yes kiddies, free magic pressies! But unidenitifed, why it's like kinder surprise or free toys in cornflakes packets or something.

Incidentaly, at the end of part 14 all of you will become 5th level. Woohoo!

There is another 3d scene I can take screenshots from if people really need help understanding the layout of the room but it's not that difficult is it?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:46:24 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
Re: Part 14: Diamasin's Tomb
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 05:42:50 AM »

Raul is drawn towards the apple, and will go to pick it up if no-one else stops him.
:hal:   

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 06:03:30 AM »

Caution Raul, you dont want to be the one turned into something with more than 8 tenticals due to lack of caustion do you?
let the mages check it and make sure touching it wont kill us with all that glow its giving off. even from here i can tell theres magic about.
I'll be in my bunk.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:55:45 PM »

"All o'this magic around does anyone have any healing for me?" Aurum looks around and continues "they can figure out what is what and who can best use it while I try to bounce back from the fight with the water elemental. I do like those dragon designs on that chest. I might be able to do something with that broken sword with the right tools..."

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 01:42:24 PM »

I don't think there's really time for anyone to cast Identify on any of these but someone could probably manage a detect magic (although Naedath's too stunhned but Ivor or Alarian might be able to do it).

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 11:58:58 PM »

ooc: if Al has the spell then he will.
I'll be in my bunk.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 06:45:08 AM »

"Thanks Alarian, but you know how rash I can be at times!"

Raul smiles as he reaches out and picks up the silver apple anyway.
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 09:29:41 PM »

As Raul takes the apple it seems to solidify a little. Only now do people notice that the other items seem vaguely less substantial, as if they are not really here and something is holding a connection to them open. The apple, now chosen, is truly here. The other items seem to beeara  potential presence.

Ooh, Schrodeinger's magic presents? They don't exist here unless you take them? Maybe it's something like that and whoever's holding the links open to the possibility of their presence here might not be able to sustain the link for long, of the one choice each thing could be part of the spell that links the present to these items from the past.

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 11:56:32 PM »

Al cringes and adds a note tohimself to get a sheilding charm at the next oppertunity.
I'll be in my bunk.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 10:32:06 AM »

"Me fightin spirit is callin for the sword but me heart wants the chest with those dragon-like carvings." With that Aurum walks over and chooses the wooden casket carved about with dragon-like renderings.

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 11:59:03 PM »

Al waits for everyone to take something, if there is anything left then he will take it.
I'll be in my bunk.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 08:13:40 AM »

OOC: There should be plenty left, there are only 5 characters and 8 items to choose from.

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 07:27:31 AM »

Rogan looks at each of the items, trying to work out what would be most useful.

"Well, I already have stout armour and a shield," he begins, "and chain would likely be of more use to one faster than I.  I have no special skill with smithing or the sword, so I shall leave that to another.  I never learned the use of the bow either.  I don't know about the torc - I've always been closer to the stone and metal than to the wood and forest.  Perhaps the ring holds a protective charm and the rose commands my interest if only or its beauty.  I have no great need of magic for my own part though.  I shall take the rose in memory of the love for which this place was built."

Reaching out for the stem, he plucks it from its pedestal and offers quiet thanks to the ancient one's spirit, along with a promise to come back and scatter the ashes once the evil is gone from this accursed island.

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 11:41:41 PM »

Al shrugs and takes up the arrow, 'if nothing else it will make a good keepsake from the adventures we have faced here.'
I'll be in my bunk.

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 06:34:26 PM »

Ivor casts Detect Magic to see if he can identify the auras, to give better idea what the items might be.

If nothing stands out, then he'll tak the Ring.