Custom Hobby Forum

• December 05, 2020, 09:02:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: Part 14: Diamasin's Tomb  (Read 5454 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
Re: Part 14: Diamasin's Tomb
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 11:53:50 AM »

Ivor casts Detect Magic to see if he can identify the auras, to give better idea what the items might be.

If nothing stands out, then he'll take the Ring.

I just went to his character shett to remove detect magic and found he doesn't have any left to use right now. I was going to check all these custom items to work out what kinds of magic they'd detect as too.

Ivor reaches for his magic detection lense only to find it hasn't recharged fully, or there's a particularly stubborn spot of grease or oil that's somehow got on it that won't come off with a quick rub with his hanky, so he takes the ring.

Kiaphas, having expressed an interest in the apple, takes the torc as his second choice. Naedath takes the arrow, "for it may point to truths unseen" and bishop Olmaren, having come along to see the truth of this mystery, takes the broken sword "for surely it was broken in some titanic struggle and may yet have some grudge to bear, some battle unfinished, to bring to this adventure."

As he lifts it from his plinth a silvery luminescence begins to form near the burial urn. It slowly takes the shape of an elf in flowing robes. He would seem to be made of a soft glowing light but transparent and insubstantial. As he raises his hands in greeting his robes stir in some small wind that none present feel.

He speaks, and when he does so, those present hear him not with their ears, but directly in their minds. Despite that his lips do move but no sound issues forth.

Can you guys spot boxed text a mile off? Yeah, sometimes it's a bit obvious.

“Well met my friends. I must be brief. I am Diamasin, once an Elven Lord of the Kingdom of Leezeria. I am the last of an ancient order whose purpose it was to guard a powerful enemy of my kin that lies imprisoned on this island that we call Elmardia. It is a foe of unsurpassable resilience. The strongest steel swords break upon its iron skin, only the most powerful of spells will slow its inevitable advance. Unable to harm it, we lured the creature into a trap, a magical Prison to contain it for all time.

"But I was slain here many years ago whilst fighting the dragon-raiders who came from the north. They landed here, thinking we hid riches on the island. They were wrong and they paid the price for their reckless savagery. I was grievously wounded and before I died, Lord Tarimth appeared before me, saying that my labors were yet not complete. For Tarimth had foreseen a time when our enemy, whom we call the Grimorden, would make a bid for its freedom. Our Lord had been empowered to contest the dark forces that had conspired to set the Grimorden against the Elves, but he was limited in what aid he could lend. Lord Tarimth’s vision saw that Elmardia would fall to the dominion of Men, whom he had little communion with, so he bade me to hold my journey to the Holy Glade and guide the hands of the champions of Men, whose task it would be to oppose the Grimorden.”

The form of Lord Diamasin trembles, as if caught in a stronger breeze, and grows faint, as if part of his presence has blown away on the wind. “My enemy strives to drive me away. It is safe for a while but I must hurry. The Grimorden was imprisoned many centuries past, by means of a sphere enchanted with potent spells. But we underestimated its strength and it nearly broke free. Nearly. With the aid of our Dwarven allies we created three perfect gemstones that were given enchantments to reinforce the weave of the original spells that forged the Prison. The Grimorden was put to rest forever. The gems were called the Star-Kin Stones. Their potencies were each specifically tailored to rob the Grimorden of one of its major powers. A ruby restrained the creature’s ability to invade the minds of those of weaker wills. A sapphire prevented it from summoning Elementals beyond the Prison. Lastly, an emerald robbed it of its control over the Dead.

"Alas these Stones have been removed and must be replaced. The Grimorden steals the souls of the dead and uses their energy against the Globe that holds its Prison intact. By killing the monks, the Grimorden gained sufficient power to
weaken the enchantments that bind it. It only needs a few more souls to allow it to break free.

“The ruby lay hidden in a tree by the Shrine of Wynsar, stolen by a petty thief who knew not the import of the thing he took. A monk, under the control of the Grimorden, took the sapphire. But he was contested and the gem fell from
the southern cliffs during the struggle. These two have been recovered and now rest here in your hands.

"Alas, the third gem, the emerald, is the most difficult to reclaim, for the Grimorden managed to send that stone to its home, Shadowland. That place is a terrible realm, beyond the boundaries of this world. It is the thralldom of Sirrith, the Queen of the Dead, the cursed place made to lure Elves from their path to the Holy Glade.

"My friends, all hope lies with you retrieving the Star-Kin Stones and putting them back in their place and thus binding the Grimorden back to its eternal rest. I see Lord Tarimth’s plan now, for the knowledge has been left with me to create a doorway for you to reach the boundaries of Shadowland and from there to rescue the emerald Star-Kin Stone.”

Lord Diamasin trembles once again and parts of his essence can even be seen dragging away. His voice now sounds faint and distant.

“Hurry, time grows short. I am charged to answer your questions but only one poised by each of you. What do you want of me?”

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 12:50:24 PM »

Aurum holding the box he choose steps forward and asks "Does the box do more than it looks?"
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 12:56:44 PM by Custom_Hobby »

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »

"The casket itself does little. Within lies an amulet bearing the tooth of the last true dragon to be seen in these lands, set within it. It is said to contain some of his power for this dragon's fire burns with a passion even beyond death."

The amulet has 11 charges of Burning Hands remaining (caster level 5). If fully recharged it would have 50 like a wand.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 02:24:53 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 02:07:57 PM »

Aurum smiles and put the amulet on.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 02:25:51 PM »

Kiaphas asks "how shall we find our way in the shadowlands? They are unknown to us."

With a smile Lord Diamasin replies "a guide shall be provided".

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 11:43:11 PM »

Al about to take the arrow and seeing naedeth take it first changes his choice to the shield and armour.

my question then, "what is the magic within each of the items?"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:48:45 AM by Custom_Hobby »
I'll be in my bunk.

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 05:47:08 PM »

Ivor waits until all the other questions are asked & answered, then asks;

"What dangers await us in thes 'shadow' lands, and how can we protect ourselves from them..."?

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 11:58:06 PM »

ooc:  :icon_neutral:
I'll be in my bunk.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 07:57:07 AM »

In response to Alarian's question the spirit of lord Diamasin smiles as he replies, "that is a question with many answers and we have little time. Each of the gifts is useful in it's own way. The apple may be eaten, the petals of the rose may also be consumed, the swords cuts, the arrow may be shot. Like the amulet, the arrow contains a burst of dragon's fire. Unlike the amulet, it's flames are unleashed in a single burst upon the target that it strikes. Do not stand too close."

Old Naedath finaly finishes gawping long enough to ask "oh ancient spirit, may I be correct in assuming that this broken blade was once used in battle against our foe? And that it may somehow be reforged?"

"Indeed you may," replies the spirit, "that sword and the Grimorden are ancient foes by your reckoning. The blade was broken in a fight left unfinished, a battle not won. Should the two meet, and the Grimorden be challenged by his true name, then shall the blade reform itself to finish a fight left unresolved for many a long year. Unfortunately this name is not known to me, but it may be discovered at the Grimorden's keep, in the land of shadows."

Since Ivor's question is last, I'll leave it 'till more questions have been asked.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 06:15:12 AM »

"Will binding the Grimorden in his magical cage with the three perfect gems be enough, or must he be defeated for all time?" ask Raul.
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 12:10:26 PM »

"Time is short. There is one within the realms of shade who shall explain this matter more fully. In essence my continued existence is bound to that of the Grimorden for I must stand guard to ensure it's continued imprisonment for all eternity, or 'till it is no more."

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 01:43:30 PM »

Aurum walks over to old Naedath "if you need some help I can carry the sword for you until someone is ready to use it."

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 10:06:29 AM »

Rogan rubs his chin thoughtfully.

"My lord, should we take the stones with us on this journey for their protection, or will that release any hold they have remaining over the Grimorden if we do so?  It seems to me that leaving them here unguarded would not be safe, but to take them into this Shadowland may be yet worse."

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 05:57:49 PM »

The spirit answers thus: "The stones themselves hold no power over the Grimorden whilst they are separated from his prison. Removing them to the shadowlands will not weaken his prison. By sending the third stone into the shadowlands the Grimorden has not weakened his prison so much as he has prevented any from strengthening it again. Returning all three and placing them in the prison would bind him once more. Returning me to my constant vigil, destined to stand guard over this isle 'till the Grimorden is no longer a threat to this world."

Abbot Olmaren politely signs that he has no questions, still rather in awe at the current situation.

Ivor waits until all the other questions are asked & answered, then asks;

"What dangers await us in thes 'shadow' lands, and how can we protect ourselves from them..."?

As he asks it becomes clear that Lord Dismasin is fading from view. He is caught in that strange ethereal tremor again and clearly his grip on the physical world is drifting away. "The Shadowlands were created by an ancient foe of elvenkind," his voice seems strained, "I have little time to answer but know this: there shall be one beyond the portal who may know more.

"Pass through the portal to Shadowland and seek out the Star-Kin Stone there. It lies within the Grimorden’s tower on the outskirts of that dreaded land. There are friends who will help you as well as foes…be warned…you will find a grey road…do not stray from that path, no matter what beckons you to do so…look for a tower atop a bluff of black stone…it is marked by two rocks wrought in the likeness of hands…”

With that the last silver light that shaped Diamasin’s form winks out only to be replaced by a similar burst of radiance from the featureless west wall. The stonework there seems to boil away into curling thick mist, lit by preternatural
luminescence. Air swirls and distorts, spiralling inwards as a rift in space opens. A portal to another dimension.

Thus ends Dark Awakenings: Guardian. Soon I shall begin the first thread of the sequel, Dark Awakenings: Shadowland.

Now everyone gets to be 5th level, go for it folks! And give yourselves a hearty round of appluase.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:32:54 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »