Custom Hobby Forum

• January 25, 2022, 12:54:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Author Topic: Green stuff, glue and paint  (Read 3823 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
Green stuff, glue and paint
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:47:17 AM »

Oh woe is me, oh agony, oh evil mister Klocke. Whyfore dost thou torment me so?

Nasty horrible evil multipart models are nasty. It's barely worth posting any photos yet as I've just stuck a few bits together (for a quick undercoat spray). A few weeks ago, after slicing open the blister pack I discovered that this is a four part model. Yep, that's right. Four parts. When you look at it you'd think it's a two parter (with the spear obviously separate from the body). You might even imagine the body splits down the middle (as it does). What you would not expect is for that little plait that dangles down across her chest to be a separate part!

Okay, so I can do multi part models. I've done multipart models before. I even scrud*ed the mold lines off her boobies (and her thighs and exposed stomach, and numerous metal armour plates). Assembly is actualy a problem 'though.

There is a noticable gap where her right leg "joins" the scaly cloak (basicaly it doesn't, all the way down). Given the size of the gap (and the overlap) I'll basicaly need to paint the leg plates and all the inside of the cloak before I glue the two halves together. This is not a proble. I am happy with this.

However.....

There are gaps that will need greenstuffing at the armpits when I glue it together before I can paint it!

Has anyone ever greenstuffed over paint before? I suspect it might not be wise idea. So it looks like I'm going to need to undercoat both halves, partialy paint both of them, stick them together, greenstuff them, and then finish painting them.  :icon_evil: :tantrum: :tantrum:

Why couldn't it have just been made in such a way as to either stick both halves together and then paint them, or paint them and then glue them together? The main reason that painting the skin in two goes is going to be annoying is that I'm going to be mixing colours, or using valuable paint I don't want to waste. Plus the left leg absolutely has to be painted with the cloak off, worst luck :(.

What makes it even more annoying is that I've had all this time to think about colour schemes. I know fire giants are meant to have very dark skin but I'm thinking of just painting her as a giant dwarf. The awkward thing is that I think she's too big to be a 54mm dwarf. She's more like a 72-90mm dwarf. I was already thinking of  factoring in an enlargement type spell but even then she'd be a bit big for large scale gaming. I'll take a size comparisson picture of her standing next to the Rackham "giant dwarf" streak of piss and the old Ral Partha Clangeddin miniature to get a good estimate of her overall size.

So I was thinking ruddy pinkish red skin with red hair, blue or green gems, bronzey metallic bits (with the cloak being quite dark and tarnished). There'd be lots of touches of silver in there. Either that or the fair/brown skin with fair hair and blues and white as main colours kind of theme. Wasn't gisixers painting this one up recently? I'm sure someone was (I even think it was someone here). I wouldn't mind having a little chat with them about assembly to see how they did it.

That picture's actualy distorted a bit (the angle gives the illussion of her being broader and more dwarfy). She's actualy slimmer and has more human proportions (apart from the head). I'm tempted to paint her grey and stick her on a plinth as battlefield scenery but that'd almost be a waste of such a good model.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:03:55 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

dargrin

• Juvenile Dragon
    • www.darkgrinminiatures.com
Re: Green stuff, glue and paint
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 12:24:37 PM »

I have only seen the unassembled model for this from one of the Reaper Reps.  Nice model and one that I would like to get one day if money/time permits. 

I was talking to the rep about the sections.  She said that the hair was seperate just in case you wanted the clevage. Kind of like an optional part although you need to green stuff the small hole the end is supposed to go into.

I have done green stuff over paint before but only if there was a larger section of non painted part to support it.  If the figure is for gaming then a Fire giant sceme would be prefered but if it is only for show choose what colors you want.

Long term exposure to the Orb of Confusion will give you...er.. confusion!

I invite you to my dot on the web: http://www.darkgrinminiatures.com

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 06:29:20 PM »

There I knew someone had posted painted pics in the Reaper forum. I notice how they didn't take many closeup shots (maybe mold lines were evil for them too :p). I don't see any of the gaps mine's got but I'll take some photo's in the morning.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 06:33:42 PM »

I must have been lucky, the mould lines on mine aren't that bad.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 06:50:27 PM »

I must have been lucky, the mould lines on mine aren't that bad.

Mine has mold lines running up the side of the legs, across all the armour plates (inside curvy awkward places), up the oh so awkward to reach sides of the metal bra thing and then they go up towards her neck (so it looks like she's wearing a skin tight shoulderless triangle thing). Mike, does yours have big gaps down the sides from the waist down too? I've done a lot of trimming already and can't afford to send her back to america anyway now :(.

I'm going to start looking for a big round base for her now (preferably a fairly flat one too). The "red" scheme I was thinking of is fairly similar to that one but with different coloured gems and a more normal skin tone. The "blue" theme is different again (very Valkyrie). The canny bugger's actualy gone and sculpted a few more scales in by the left leg before painting her up.

The reason she looks so dwarfy in their preview pictures is that they've photographed her from beneath so her chest sees foreshortened.

Caerban

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 07:05:56 AM »

My mate has her and she's a great model, his didn't seem to have any mold line problems and fitted together pretty well. I've noticed the Reaper can blow pretty hot and cold sometimes with cast quality though, and their white metal can be quite variable in its properties too.
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." - Groucho Marx

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »

Right then, here we go. Now because it looked like it was going to rain I took these pictures indoors (with only one light source, my bedroom window) and some are a bit out of focus too.

First off, here's the obligatory "that's chuffin' big" picture:

Now here's two pictures showing the gap. I've glued the body together for undercoating and I had to carefuly jiggle it into place. I got the best fit but it's something like a millimeturrrrrrr (que Arnie impressions) too low and could maybe rise  alittle. It's easy to put the left foot in the wrong place (making all the gaps look bigger) but I carefuly juggled it into it's little stirrup dibber dobber thingumijig. Either that or putting it in the right place (leaving no gaps down the left hand side) makes the right hand side completely fail to align at all (especialy at the armpit). The annoying thing is that if you look at the gap on the left hand side all the edges match up perfectly but they just don't reach each other if you want to close the right gap as well.

Unfortunately the left armpit gasp photo came out too blurry to use so I'll have to try again sometime later. So here's the "metal bra" mold line (it's about the same on the other side but I managed to scrud*e them down better on the other side). The back's the raised section, not the front (which almost made scrud*ing them down worse).

And here's a couple of moldy booby shots. As you can see I had a lot more ytrouble scrud*ing down one line than the other.

Theomar Pius

• Inner Circle
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 07:19:07 PM »

I hate these big multi part metal minis, for just this reason. But man, I've always liked that sculpt on the fire giant.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 07:24:49 PM »

It isn't that bad. Just take a look at them in the sore and buy the one with the smalest mould lines.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 09:36:07 AM »

It isn't that bad. Just take a look at them in the sore and buy the one with the smalest mould lines.

This is england mate. If I want to buy Reaper Miniatures I either have to travel all the way up to The Keep (in Devizes) or order from their webshop (with no preview pictures). Either that or I have to order from american websites (with preview pictures) so I order from Reaper directly. I don't really get many chances to view the actual model I'll be buying before it gets posted to me :(.

Not that bad? Well I reckon if I paint the inside of the cloak scorched brown then the gap behind the legs won't be that noticable. OH, and she passes the pencil test without even trying so there must be some lead in her.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 09:43:06 AM »

I was saying the mini isn't that bad from what I have seen. Then again maybe the different casters in the UK might make the difference. I am not sure.

gi6ers

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 10:14:31 AM »

I've got one of these and the casting was pretty good, just got bored so if anyone wants a semi painted one let me know.  EDIT: Keeper is the new owner.

@Balgin - Try this lot: http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/About.aspx  good service and they cast them on site. I've been to their 'shop/warehouse' and they were a good bunch.  You have to know what you want though and unfortunatrly it's in Southampton with dodgy opening hours so call first if you are visiting.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:22:29 AM by gi6ers »

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 10:23:02 AM »

unfortunatrly it's in Southampton with dodgy opening hours so call first if you are visiting.

You do realise that's 15-20 miles away frpm me don't you? There's nothing unfortunate about that (there's even a regular bus route :).

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 10:24:54 AM »

EDIT: Keeper is the new owner.

Blimey, that was quick - I'd only just come back here to say "PM sent" ;)
:hal:   

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 10:27:27 AM »

You do realise that's 15-20 miles away frpm me don't you? There's nothing unfortunate about that (there's even a regular bus route :).

Now you have a new source for your Reaper minis. They are who cast them in the UK. I figured you would know that already since you buy reaper.

Blimey, that was quick - I'd only just come back here to say "PM sent" ;)

Then the forum is working the way it should  :icon_wink: