Custom Hobby Forum

• November 30, 2020, 02:06:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: Part 9: Return to the abbey  (Read 6155 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
Part 9: Return to the abbey
« on: December 11, 2007, 04:18:13 PM »

Upon their return to the abbey those who ventured to the tower discover that Jondyn has managed to find himself a bottle of Guardian Fire, and is propping up a wall in no fit state to hold a coherent conversation. Rogan has hauled out the bodies of the three monks from the shrine, the monk from the garden, the cook from the kitchen and the workers from their dormitory (including the one who was outside the back door), and laid them all out in the courtyard. He has not yet moved the workmen in the stables or the upper chamber, neither has he moved any of the other monks yet.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 04:22:11 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Mr Teufel

• Young Dragon
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
Re: Part 9: Return to the abbey
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 06:06:09 PM »

"I'll help you with this grim task," says Kiaphas.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 08:14:04 PM »

"Oy brother, if I knew you were staying to do this I would have stayed to help." Aurum also aids his brother with moving the bodies.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 05:39:39 AM »

Raul silently lends assistance, moving the bodies of the monks.
:hal:   

Fabian

• Chief of the Oak Priests
  • Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
    • My Cheddarmongers gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 03:25:46 PM »

Alarian regards the scene grimly, and then goes off to find the sage and the abbot.
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 02:17:45 PM »

Alarian finds the abbot Olmaren and Naedath the sage upstairs in the abbot's bedroom/study (the room serves more than one purpose). The abbot is resting as best he can given his troubled state of mind but Naedath is most agitated. "Now listen," he says, "you must here this," and with that he picks up a fresh sheet of parchment onto which he has transcribed his translation of the ancient elven document and begins to read.

"Now this document," he says speaking over the top of the sheet to Alarian, " is entitled A Chronicle of the Order of the Vigilant Guard.

"I have condensed it into a somewhat shorter format and skimmed over some of the details but intend to perform a more thorough translation at a later date."

Clearing his throat he continues. "Our ancestor's songs tell us that our people once dwelled in the world apart from the other races and walked in the footsteps of the gods. Of all the high lords, of Tarimth (lord of the stars) ever had a special place in his divine heart for the children of light and we learned the wisdom that he espoused. Our people dwelled in harmony in the house of Tarimth and we emulated the wisdom of our lord. He entrusted us with great powers and secrets of the Void."

"All this is most interesting," he mutters to himself, "but there is more." And with that he continues anew, his creaky old voice reading out this history. "But the other races which shared the world missused the knowledge that was given to them and the gods were dismayed at the ruin they brought to their creation. So it was that the gods met in council and agreed to remove the greater part of their knowledge from the lesser races. They made a binding agreement amongst their kind to depart from the physical world and not to interfere with the affairs of mortals; to let their creation grow and develope on its own. Tarimth reluctantly was part of that agreement and he lamented at having to leave his beloved children to their wooded homeland of Leezeria."

There's more but I didn't want to find out the letters per post limit the hard way so I'll post again in about an hour and a half's time.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 04:21:28 PM »

There's two and a half sides of this in print so I'll assume that turning it into handwriting takes up four or five sides. So let's assume he has three sheets of parchment.

"But Tarimth left our kind with a gift. Tarimth has blessed us with long life but this meant we would be denied a reunion with him in the Holy Glade for many centuries. So Tarimth taught us the paths between the worlds and the Elves alone, of all the God's creations, could seek solace in the afterlife before their time, if their long years grew wearisome.

"While our songs give us a record of those halcyon days, our dirges tell us of our darkest hours. Soon after the passing of the Gods from the world, a race of Demons, known as the Grimorden, appeared in the north. They were few in number and unable to sire offpsring but they were extremely resilient to our weapons and enchantments and wielded powerful magic of their own. In their wake came the armies of the Goblinkind and the united tribes of Men, all bent on usurping our lands. Our Kin fought a long defensive war against them, but one by one our kingdoms fell, until Tarimthol-Irl alone was left.

"But in our time of need Tarimth did not abandon us. He broke the Accord of the Gods and intervened, saving us from the Grimorden, destroying the creatures and driving their allies from the world. We were saved from death and slavery at the hand of these Demons but we suffered a far greater loss. Tarimth had defied the Gods edict and was banished from the Realms of Creation, cast into the Void amongst the stars. That is how we came to name our Lord the Emperor of the Stars and it is from the stars that he still sends signs and omens to those who can read them.

"The men who had been rallied against us made peace with our kin in later ages but we saw that they feared us and treated us with suspicion. But our bane since the Grimorden has ever been the Goblinkind, twisted creatures of dark underground places, that the Grimorden strengthened against sunlight to bring into their host. They fled after the return of Tarimth and hid for an age beneath the mountains of the east but they grew in number and in boldness and reemerged to assail our eastern border again.

"The Elves who dwelled there fled to Tarimthol-Irl and a permanent garrison was established in the east to guard against the intrusion of the Goblinkind. It is to Tarimthol-Irl my grandsires of old came to live, escaping the troubles on our borders. In my youth I listened to their tales of the Twilight Years and the terror of the Grimorden that all seemed a distant dream. I was gifted as an enchantress and married by my beloved Diamasin in my one hundred and tewntieth year. I have never loved another and the shaded forest clearings surrounding Tarimthol-Irl were a place of unending serenity."

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 04:49:15 PM »

"I remember the year of three thousand, eight hundred and fourteen well. It was the year that peace ended and terror walked the glades of Leezeria. News came from the east of a new invasion by the armies of the Goblinkind. Normaly, our captains in our garrisons would have been able to deal with the incursion but this time tales came to us in Tarimthol-Irl of a powerful creature who led the enemy host, a cunning sorceror who could reach into the minds of Elves and bend them to it's will. The creature called the servants of the elements to it's aid and the Dead rose to follow it's command. It's army destroyed our forces in the east and drove on deep into our sacred groves, towards our ancient city. Soon the army of the Goblinkind was upon our very doorstep.

"King Pelentine himself lead an army out of Tarimthol-Irl to defeat this new nemesis. He left my husband in charge of the defence of the city. Alas for the glory of brave king Pelentine! Brave and valiant were the warriors and enchanters that fell that day. Our army was defeated and the survivors retreated into the safety of Tarimthol-Irl. However, the identity of our enemy was at last revealed. The Goblinkind were marshalled by a Grimorden; a single survivor of Tarimth's wrath. Where it ahd hidden all this time, we knew not, but it was instilled with powers beyond those of it's elder kin and it marched beneath the banner of the Horned Queen, Sirrith; Goddess of the Dead.

"There followed a siege in which my husband led our warriors fearlessly for twenty days but we all knew that our defeat was inevitable. Finaly, with hope fading, we were saved once more, like the songs of old. I saw in the night sky a sign from Tarimth and I went to the temple to pray for our salvation. My prayers were answered and I was sent a vision showing me the means to trap and imprison the Grimorden for all time.

"I had our finest smiths fashion a small sphere of jet-black glass and through me, enchantments were placed within the artifact. This I gave to Diamasin, instructing him in it's use. I named the device, the Star of Diamasin, and gave him my blessings, saying that it must be born into close proximity to the Grimorden and the word of command uttered, so that it would cause and enchanted prison to engulf the creature. This prison took the form of a larger black sphere and was, in fact, an extra-dimensional space that rendered the Grimorden dormant.

"And my husband went forth from Tarimthol-Irl, suited in mail and bearing his enchanted blade Eseriel. He challenged the Grimorden to single combat and the arrogant creature accepted. The fight was brief and Diamasin broke Eseriel upon the hide of the creature. Then, as the Grimorden gloated over it's impending victory, Diamsin drew forth the Star and invoked it's power. The Demon was encased within it's magic prison and, at that moment, the gates of the city were flung wide and the warriors of Tarimthol-Irl rode forth. Diamasin was saved and the army of the Goblinkind was scattered to the four winds.

"We triumphed that day and Diamasin was praised and brought before Telembar, the young nephew of our slain king Pelentine. In later days, many gifts were given to Diamasin and myself for our part in the defeat of the Grimorden. The Prison was brought within the city and eventualy was placed within our Hall of Relics, beneath Tarimthol-Irl. The Star I kept and it became an heirloom of our house. Scholars and sages came to study the Prison Globe in our Hall of Relics, but over the years it was all but forgotten. In the years that followed, we came to learn that the Star of Diamasin was intrinsically linked to the Prison Globe and could only be separated by a distance of about a mile. It could not be physicaly or magicaly shifted beyond this point. And during that same period, the Grimorden stirred in it's Prison and learned to extend it's powers beyond the confines of the Globe. It struck out at scholars within the Hall of Reclics and attempted to dominate their minds that they may destroy the Star of Diamasin."

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 05:01:11 PM »

"Fortunately the attempts failed and a vigil was placed over the Prison of the Grimorden while a council was held to solve the problem. The more adept of our Elven mages had come to understand something of the Grimorden's powers and how Diamasin's Star held the Grimorden prisoner. They needed to create three smaller foci of power to augment the Star, each enchanted with wards to nullify one of the Grimorden's three main avenues of attack - it's power to corrupt minds, it's control of the Dead and it's sorcerous abilities.

"To this end they attempted to fashion three gemstones to contain the potencies that would defeat the Grimorden's powers but their skills were not sufficient to fashion the perfect stones to house such spells. But there were others whose craft with the bounty of the earth surpassed our own. In the decades following the dreadful year of three thousand eight hundred and fourteen, the Dwarves of the west came to Leezeria, hearing tales of the great battles against the Goblinkind. They too had fought their own wars against similar foes and made alliances with the young king Telenbar.

"And so it was, that the Dwarves who resided in Tarimthol-Irl, at this time, were eager to assist the Elvenking and these Sons of Stone crafted three perfect gemstones. They named them the Star-Kin stones and they included:

"A Ruby to contain the Grimorden's power to dominate minds
An Emerald to contain the Grimorden's power to command the Dea
And a Sapphire to contain the Grimorden's power to cast Spells.

"These stones were enchanted with their own individual wards and placed around Diamasin's Star, immediately reinforcing the powers that maintained the Prison Globe. The Grimorden's Powers were effectively cut off and it was rendered dormant once more."

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 05:39:26 PM »

"The wars with the Goblinkind of the east still continued and at times, Dwarves fought alongside Elves but soon affairs in the west called the Sons of Stone home and few tarried in our homeland of Leezeria. One year, the Goblinkind took our eastern forts by surprise and a host penetrated deep into our realm and almost assailed Tarimthol-Irl once more, before they were defeated. The entire incident was enough to unsettle the Elven community and the High Council met and it was decided that the Prison of the Grimorden should be removed to a more isolate and secret part of the world. Diamasin founded a special Order whose task it would be to seek out a new location to house the Prison and guard it ever after. They were called the Vigilant Guard and were largely made up of the kinfolk of both our families.

"After several years of searching, we settled on relocating to a remote island in the Greater Inner Sea, a place we named Elmardia (meaning "Guardian" in the Elven tongue). Soon after the Vigilant Guard sailed from Leezeria, northwards to their new home. With us we took two Dwarven brothers, Guthram and Sturlen Marundor, whose great grandfathers had fashioned the original Star-Kin stones.

"The Vigilant Guard raised a new hall upon the isle of Elmardia, the Dwarves making great use of the granite that was abundant there. We also made use of existing Uushai excavations that we found, housing the Prison in one such chamber beneath a tower that had been constructed by the Uushai. The tower's purpose was unclear to us, but at night a crystal located in it's summit radiated light. I theorized that the crystals were able to trap sunlight and release this light at night. We even made several lamps out of this crystaline material.

"When positioning the Prison, it appeared that it's magical properties had a unique effect upon the crystal light. A silvery thread of light usualy connected Diamasin's Star to the Prison. This silvery light was translated into the crystal's radiance when the Priosn was placed beneath the tower. Additionaly, when the Star-Kin stones were removed briefly to align the podium that held them, the crystal light turned a baleful green, returning to silver when the stones were returned. The Order of the Vigilant Guard saw this as a good device to warn against the Grimorden ever stirring.

"We maintained our watch for many centuries to come. The odd Dorvin seafarer occassionaly visited our community but otherwise we had no contact with outsiders. Humans stayed clear of our island, fearing it's reefs and the "Elven Devils" who dwelled there. We kept the location of the Grimorden a secret, even when visiting Leezeria from time to time. However, over the years, the Order dwindled in number, as more and more of our folk felt the call of home and the Holy Glade of Tarimth. They sought Diamasin's leave to return to the mainland and then the Unending Sea. My husband would not dissuade them.

"At last there came a dark day that ended the Vigilant Guard. A dragonship from the north, containing many barbarian warriors was wrecked upon the reefs of Elmardia. 'though the vessel sunk, many of it's sailors were able to make it ashore, clinging to pieces of wreckage. A goodly sized force of Men assembled themselves upon the beaches.

"Diamasin offered these Men the hospitality of his hall and this was accepted, but the northmen coveted the womenfolk of the island and our finely crafted belongings. They betrayed Diamasin's kindess and savage battle was fought. Although we were greatly outnumbered, we prevailed, but my beloved was mortally wounded and the Order of the Vigilant Guard was reduced to ten. The northmen were all slain.

"I made to help Diamasin by attempting to use the Blessed Rose to heal his wounds but he declined. In his last hour, he too had been granted a great vision by our Lord, as I once had. He bade me assemble those treasures that we still had and to place them with his ashes in a tomb on Elmardia. He also rodered that I take the last of the Order and return to the Kingdom of Leezeria: our task was over and his spirit would watch over the Grimorden.

"I was also instructed to leave this account of our experiences, and to mark the island with certain cryptic signs warning those who would later come 'gainst the Grimorden, to guide them to Diamasin's resting place. Before his passing my husband said "The labours of the Elves as the guardians of our ancient enemy are at an end. A time comes when the Grimorden shall struggle to be free and it will be the task of others to do battle with it. But they shall not go unassisted in this fight, the powers that feed our dark foe are strong but the will of Lord Tarimth shall prevail. The last Grimorden shall fall forever."

"Diamasin is now laid to rest and I, Aedrinia, and the remaining Elves now take our leave from Elmardia forever."

Setting his pages aside Naedath squints at Alarian and lets out a small whistle. "Well," he says, "that's certainly a tale worth the telling. Those old elves certainly came up with some stories eh?"

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 08:58:20 AM »

"I should make sure they know what I saw." Aurum heads off to find Alrian and the others. "Brother we need to tell the abbot and sage about the things we found while you were here, I'll be back." When he finds then he makes sure to recount everything he saw.

I changed it to fit in a bit better. Hope that helps :icon_wink:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 12:13:16 PM by Custom_Hobby »

Mr Teufel

• Young Dragon
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 06:47:46 PM »

"So, we need to find these "Star Kin" stones," rumbles Kiaphas. "The thing is still in that black ball, but its powers can now range about, and that seems to be cause of the fate of the poor monks. Until we find them, we'd better burn the bodies, so they can't come back as undead horrors the next time this demon rolls over in its sleep!"

(OOC: which gem do we actually have? If we have the Emerald, we can just insert it, and be more respectful to the dead.)

Fabian

• Chief of the Oak Priests
  • Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
    • My Cheddarmongers gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 07:29:27 AM »

"I think we had better return whatever stones we have to their proper place." comments Alarian. "I think you are right, Kiaphas. Its power seems to have seeped out without these gems in place."
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 09:36:23 AM »

Whilst the others have been rearranging bodies in the courtyard the sun has been slowly sinking towards the eastern horizon. At this point in time it begins to set and, as it does so, a silvery light shines forth from the top of the beacon tower.

It's now around six in the evening. I know the day seems to have gone quickly but someone spent about half of it plundering the monastery and the sun sets early in the autumn :P.

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 03:49:52 AM »

It's now around six in the evening. I know the day seems to have gone quickly but someone spent about half of it plundering the monastery and the sun sets early in the autumn :P.

Rogan looks up at the silver light as it begins to shine.
"That looks to be a good sign at least," he says, some thankfulness evident in his voice.  "I'm going to keep moving the fallen for a bit longer, I think.  We should probably take turns on watch overnight too.  I don't want to be slain in bed by this shade."

OOC: Have the others come back and told us what Naedath said, or are they still discussing it?  I'm not sure whether you just moved us on in time or not.