Custom Hobby Forum

• October 27, 2021, 07:47:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Author Topic: RR OOC thread  (Read 35182 times)

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
Re: RR OOC thread
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2008, 05:59:50 PM »

OK, Stormy, pictured before she was captured in a fetching chailmail top and hat  :icon_w00t:

:icon_wink:

:hal:   

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2008, 06:09:05 PM »

LOL, nice pic Keeper!

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2008, 01:50:19 AM »

heh, you know, one of my hobbies is kniting chainmail, though i cant find the material here to make it, (aperently they dont sell gavanized steel wire here, only the premade rings.) still nice pick.
I'll be in my bunk.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2008, 04:39:38 AM »

I thank you   I thought it might be appreciated :icon_wink:

I just hope eyeolas doesn't get into trouble!

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »

heh, you know, one of my hobbies is kniting chainmail, though i cant find the material here to make it, (aperently they dont sell gavanized steel wire here, only the premade rings.) still nice pick.

Nice hobby! I'd like a set of this for Christmas (see image below), just made for a male  :icon_wink:

I just hope eyeolas doesn't get into trouble!

Its just art :icon_wink: :dragon:

eyeolas

• Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2008, 12:39:36 PM »

Lol, no worries. And don't get too excited, the face is all that will be used :P

And the program I use is: http://64.223.12.31/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061121t

I then page print it onto powerpoint with the character images and any other information
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 12:42:52 PM by eyeolas »

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »

Nice hobby! I'd like a set of this for Christmas (see image below), just made for a male  :icon_wink:

Trust me, making mail is one of those things you do once, then swear to never do again (due to the blisters you develope on both hands as you use two pairs of pliers).

Then sometime later you give it another go.....

You know Hawkins, you're probably better off with carbon sprung steel "washers". The mail links are actualy the waste product of some other metallic product (being effectively cut out from the middle of washers as they go or something like that).

I once made a mail shirt with a large number of rolls of galvanised steel fencing wire, a hacksaw, a wooden spoon and two pairs of pliers. Unfortunately wrapping the wire around the spoon handle (and then cutting down it with the hacksaw) meant the links were about twice the size they should've been but it was good practice for a later attempt (I've made about half a coif, done the tricky top bit first which was basicaly six triangles). It's all triangles and squares in mail (an oblong is just a square with more squares stuck on one end).

Do you do propper triangle/2 triangle underarm gussests or just leave a gap where an arming doublet's all the protection you'll get? I wouldn't use the word knitting for making mail (the new stuff I'm doing is propper 10mm links with an 8mm gap - I know they should've been 8mm links but the 10mm were cheaper and almost the right size). The fact they're made of sprung steel makes closing them a real pain so I tend to do it in small short bursts.

Of course if you're really making mail the traditional way then every other link should be rivetted closed (while the others are soldered) but that's going a bit far for most hobbiests (heading into the professionalist market there).

Mike: a normal mail hauberk's looking at about 10-12k links, a propper byrnie (norman mail coat) is more like 16-20k links. Making mail can easily be a slow and labourious process but it's well worth it in the long run :). If I can get the camera off my sister tomorrow I'll take some pictures for you guys.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 07:11:15 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2008, 02:33:30 AM »

OK, Stormy, pictured before she was captured in a fetching chailmail top and hat  :icon_w00t:

:icon_wink:

LOL!

Are you aware there is a GNOLL on the team?
Isn't he dribbling enough???

More seriously, I'm looking for a picture.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2008, 02:41:47 AM »

LOL, I almost thought that was going to be your picture.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2008, 04:33:59 AM »

I once made a mail shirt with a large number of rolls of galvanised steel fencing wire, a hacksaw, a wooden spoon and two pairs of pliers.

Are you MacGyver, or just practicing to be in the A-Team, Balgin?  :icon_wink:

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2008, 06:02:17 AM »

Balgin: a spoon? ick, better if you use a steel rod with a hole at the top of one end, then a pair of vicegrips to wrap it.

I dont leave gaps on the chainmail its all closed, includeing under the arm, i once did a full cowl, with attached facemask that was also closed in but for the eyeholes, it took some doing but the affect was great. as for the metals i use, i find as i make the links myself that galvanized steel is strong enough if the rings are small (halfinch to 5/8s and is just about bendable on the rod. if i could and had the materials i would draw my own steel and put in the tappits for soddering, as it is i only sodder things like gloves and cowls, the shirts i leave open.  As for the hacksaw, i use that and bolt cutters, depending on how i want it to look, for NERO or ACLAR i just put it together fast as it needs repairs from time to time, but for i guess you could call cerimonial stuff, i do the nines.

I have found that i can buy rings here, and probably will have to though i like to do as much (selfmade) as i can, but the plus is that i can buy it tappited or rivited if i want, so at least there is that.
I'll be in my bunk.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2008, 10:20:42 AM »

and put in the tappits for soddering, as it is i only sodder things like gloves and cowls, the shirts i leave open.

I hope those were spelling mistakes :P. As for being disgusted at the spoon, I was a poor unemployed student and there were a load of run down/broken fences lying abandoned and one of my housemates said "hey, you're into all that medieval stuff, you could recycle those fences and make some chainmail". So it's not as if I had any high tech equipment available or anything. After salvaging the fences I needed to buy about two more reels of wire.

I have no idea what Nero and Aclar are.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2008, 10:30:32 AM »

MacGyver it is, then Balgin ;)

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2008, 03:19:20 PM »

Eyeolas who else do you need pictures for?

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2008, 07:55:05 PM »

Eyeolas who else do you need pictures for?

Well, there's a gnoll in the party....
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up