Custom Hobby Forum

• January 25, 2022, 12:45:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Author Topic: 4" Circular Tower from Hirst Arts  (Read 3619 times)

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
4" Circular Tower from Hirst Arts
« on: July 19, 2007, 06:27:16 AM »

I got my moulds thru the post.....22 quid for these tiny little things?  I first thought they were A4, then someone said DVD case sized, then someone said CD case sized and now I say they are even smaller !!!!  These are like 2 cigarette boxes next to each other its pathetic, to think I was gonna do a whole diorama out of these....you've gotta be kidding.....it'll take me til I'm 50 to cast the bricks......I'll be crippled with arthritis by the time it comes to painting it....

Right winge over, now for the positives.  They are pretty well made and seem of durable material.  I got the 4" circular tower and the basic blocks 40 moulds and these do seem to have all the bricks necessary for what I need.  I like the colour of the moulds too :perv:

Geronimo, I think there will be a massive market for an A4 size mould which is about 4x the size of the Hirst ones.  My tower takes 18 casts of the mould so you could probably get it down to 4 casts on an A4 one.  If you said £2 roughly went into making the hirst ones then say £10 would be enough for an A4 one, sell them at £20 each in quantities of 50 or more or £25 each singles and you're laughing mate.  Anyone wanting 1000 or more (Overseas customers) do at £15 and you still make 5k on the sale.  All u need is a basic blocks mould, a tower and a gate section to start with I reckon and that will be enough to get people buying.  Work out how much material it takes to make the tower etc and sell this with it in optional complete kits as I would have preferred this option when I bought.  Just some thoughts mate  :icon_w00t:

I'm gonna start casting today and will post pics here of it.  This is my first time doing anything like this so dont expect a brilliant result !!!

Dr.Evil

• Time to take over the world!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Dragon
  • Ever watchful
Re: 4" Circular Tower from Hirst Arts
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 08:10:59 AM »

If you got two for £22 then that might be why they are small, my one was £22.
Keep to the DVD case size and they can buy a few for half the price of the Hirst ones.
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 08:40:05 AM »

Nah I paid £22 for each.  He combined postage so I guess I should be happy....

personally I'd prefer to pay more for less casts, a dvd case would still be 10 casts or so and that would be hard to get done in a day.  4 - 5 on A4 size, no probs  :icon_w00t:

Agentmolar

• Global Moderator
  • Young Adult Dragon
  • The Tooth is out there.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 08:52:31 AM »

Another business idea mike. Id pick up a few moulds if they were the quality of hirst arts on an A4 sheet.
Funny isnt it how naughty dentists always make their one fatal mistake.
Bye for now, keep your teeth clean
www.dentalserenity.com.au

Dr.Evil

• Global Moderator
  • Old Dragon
  • Ever watchful
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 09:08:44 AM »

You can get 7-8 casts a day no problem as they are ready between an hour - hour and a half.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 09:27:27 AM »

Not if you have activites that clash, like, say, a job away from the house, or children, or a wife, or a memory like a sieve :)
:hal:   

Dr.Evil

• Global Moderator
  • Old Dragon
  • Ever watchful
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 10:15:16 AM »

I was off last week which helped.  :icon_cool:

geronimo

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
    • Fenris Games
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 11:48:09 AM »

I've managed to cast all the bricks I need (42 off of some of the buggers) but just haven't had chance to put any more together. However I have managed to double my bench space at home in the loft so will try and get into gear again!

Re all the suggestions for making a variant of these moulds - I'm sketching up ideas using mainly bigger blocks than the Hirst stuff as that in itself would get your building erected faster. Smaller blocks where necessary,I reckon - but 1/2" per course seems half the problem to my eyes. Any thoughts?
Fenris Games
Too many ideas....way too little time...

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 04:38:01 PM »

been here 9 hours doing this casting and on my 11th one....  I havent been doing it flat out but this is the fastest comfortable speed I think you can work at.  So seeing as the bricks need overnight to dry properly I cant make the thing til Sunday.  With an A4 mould you can cast one day and make the next, another better attribute than the hirsts.  I may need to redo a few bricks as I had the mix too thin early in casting and the filling shrunk a bit short of the top but I am very happy for my first attempt, got it down to a good art now.

1/2" per course, do you mean the width of the bricks?  I think any thinner and they may become easily damagable, especially if someone uses Herculite 2 as its not as strong as this powder I'm using apparently.  I've chipped off bits of this with my nails so dread to use the 2 version....

One thing I dont think is necessary is the ability to take it apart and see inside it etc.  Once the thing is built and on the battle field you arent going to open it or look inside it.  Putting figs in seems pointless to me.  No need for steps all the way to top so can save there then.

Dr.Evil

• Global Moderator
  • Old Dragon
  • Ever watchful
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »

Put them in the hotpress to help drying, 1 mesure of water to three powder worked great for me and they can crumble so be carefull when they are just cast, but once dryed you don't have that problem.

geronimo

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
    • Fenris Games
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 05:12:42 PM »

1/2" per course, do you mean the width of the bricks?  I think any thinner and they may become easily damagable, especially if someone uses Herculite 2 as its not as strong as this powder I'm using apparently.  I've chipped off bits of this with my nails so dread to use the 2 version....

Nah, I meant half an inch high. On the 6" fieldstone tower, each piece of wall is roughly 1/4" deep and the same in thickness. I'd aim for the same thickness but twice the height - maybe even 1" wall heights,too. Certainly for building curtain walls and big fortifications, less bricks will make the whole thing faster. Smaller bricks obviously allow for a little more variation....some thought needed on this  :icon_wink:
Fenris Games
Too many ideas....way too little time...

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 05:18:25 AM »

Not sure what a hot press is Wristy?  If its electic then its a no for me as all my electricity costs go into my growroom unfortunately.  The only use for figures is a light bulb to see when painting :perv:  I think temps are ok now for drying normally but in winter I may have to pop in the cupboard with the hot water boiler thingy.  When I move to St Lucia I will have perfect drying temps and perfect sun to grow with so barely any lectricity will be used  :icon_w00t:

ah half inch high, yeah they could be higher if they had the detail on them.  I mean if they were cast as 1 inch high but had a line through the middle denoting it as 2 bricks and not 1 big one it would be ok.  Would it be an issue getting the blocks out the mould if they were an inch high?  you'd want to do the 1" in the depth of the mould rather than along the mould to save space on it I guess so could be an issue especially on detailed pieces with extruding parts, blank walls would be ok I imagine.  How about an accessories mould with chests and barrels and tables etc?  Not sure if this is possible with the flat top you get from casting but suppose the flat bit could always be the base.....

Dr.Evil

• Global Moderator
  • Old Dragon
  • Ever watchful
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 08:28:57 AM »

cupboard with the hot water boiler thingy.
Thats the hotpress, dry's them great.

Going to use some of my blocks for my DOD entry so mine is on the back burner for a while as the Wyrd comp will be at halloween as well.

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 08:52:36 AM »

I have the added bonus of drying in my growroom, under a 600w light is perfect  :icon_wink:

On my 15th cast now, I am doing both moulds at same time so actually made 30 casts now and I think I will just about make the 18 needed or 36 casts with this 5kg bag.  doing it 3:1 ratio same as you Wristy and its a perfect mix, maybe I am doing 4:1 sometimes but its all good, occasionally spill some water.....

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »

a complete kit sounds like a terrific idea. I have been thinking of this sort of thing for a while.