News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Main Menu

My first painted Rackham mini ever

Started by Balgin Stondraeg, April 23, 2007, 09:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balgin Stondraeg

Since nobody's paying attention to thwe WIP thread :(....


Quotewhat colour are you planning for the armour??

Well you've had a taster with Fetish Girl but now you get the full blown frontal armour look!

FaceGirl! (Hiding nothing - exept her face......)





And from behind



Bone Shoulder detail



Fear the purple! She lieks purple. Just pray you don't get too near to that purple cloth or else you might see something you'll wish you'd forget.

And I took another one too.





Now see those little raised Ares ram's horns on the knee plates? I'm thinking of doing them orange (fading to red near the edges) becayse the further down you go, the darker she gets (less details to do bright silver) so I think she needs something bright and colourful down there. When the idea first came to me (before I'd even painted them silver) orange just seemd right. It's also the complimentary colour of purple so I might just give it a go.

The armour on the other two will be darker (there's more room between the details) but I like it as a dark armour look and think it suits them.

Custom_Hobby

She looks good. I posted my only suggestion in the WIP thread :icon_wink:
Mike
www.CustomHobby.com

cheddarmonger

 :clap2:

She looks nice!  Maybe a blue ink wash on that blue jewel on her left shoulder?  Or the whole reverse highlight plus white dot thing so prevalent on jewels?  And don't forget to tidy the base!

With those minor quibbles aside, this is a nice paintjob, I think one of your finest so far, and certainly something to be proud of.  The face, the hair came out great, nice depth, and the eyes are incredible.
Nevermind me, I have a cruddy banner, so please click HERE for Cheddarmongers!

Balgin Stondraeg

There's actualy four different shades of blue in that gem :( (Starts from enchanted blue then goes up one of the reaper blue triads).

The eyes are so huge that I was able to paint coloured bits in them as well as black dots. The trick, I've found is to paint a big coloured circle, then paint a tiny black dot in the middle. Then paint the coloured circle again brighter around the black dot (tidying it up) and leaving the darker colour around the edge of the coloured bit.

Then you paint the skin (easier than touching up where colours might've gone outside the eye).

And if you think this is my best yet you should see some of my WIP's :).

And yes Cheds, you may pinch the pic's if you like :).

cheddarmonger

Quote from: Balgin Stondraeg on April 23, 2007, 10:42:51 AM
There's actualy four different shades of blue in that gem :( (Starts from enchanted blue then goes up one of the reaper blue triads).

The eyes are so huge that I was able to paint coloured bits in them as well as black dots. The trick, I've found is to paint a big coloured circle, then paint a tiny black dot in the middle. Then paint the coloured circle again brighter around the black dot (tidying it up) and leaving the darker colour around the edge of the coloured bit.

Then you paint the skin (easier than touching up where colours might've gone outside the eye).

And if you think this is my best yet you should see some of my WIP's :).

And yes Cheds, you may pinch the pic's if you like :).

Wow, the blending in the gem must be exquisite!  It just doesn't show up in the pic, just looks like natural sunlight hitting it.

You bet, I'll nick the pictures!  (I'll make them up into a collage, if you don't mind)

Cheers,
-- David
Nevermind me, I have a cruddy banner, so please click HERE for Cheddarmongers!

cheddarmonger

Okay, she's posted on Cheddarmongers, thanks!



Of course, if I had the bigger pictures, the collage would have come out a bit better...  ;)
Nevermind me, I have a cruddy banner, so please click HERE for Cheddarmongers!

Bungle

Quote from: cheddarmonger on April 23, 2007, 10:19:34 AM
and the eyes are incredible.

:yeahthat: X lots

a great job so far I like the bright work on her armour and how it contrasts.

I agree with the other comments about the hammer it needs a similar treatment to the armour, lots of darker bits and a few polished bits to lift them.

The sculpt.. I would like to see a non slip surface on the hammer grips.... that would just fly out of her gauntletted hands on a smooth steel shaft. (damn there I go again making fantasy practical)

Balgin Stondraeg

Hey there's those protruding rings for that. I've done a lovely job on the hammer and hopefuly I'll have photo's sometime soon to prove it :).

Balgin Stondraeg

Rarrr! The hammer head has now been selectively inked and looks well cool :).


Fabian

It does indeed look cool. Very envious of your skill with metallics.
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?


Balgin Stondraeg

Quote from: Fabian on May 01, 2007, 01:27:58 PM
It does indeed look cool. Very envious of your skill with metallics.

Envious? It's just the same way they painted the metals in every LOTR painting article in white dwarf I've ever read.

Boltgun Metal
Black Ink (& water)
Boltgun Metal
Chainmail
Mithril Silver

For the armour I did Boltgun Metal 1/Chaos Black 2
Black Ink & Water
Boltgun Metal (very light drybrushing)

And then the bright parts were mostly mithril silver but with the more detailed raised areas (like the edges of shoulder plates) were done the standard way.

Fabian

I tend to get a bit carried away with the highlighting and leave the paints too thick. You make it sound simple but you execute it well.
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?


gi6ers

Nice work Balgin, I think I'd avoid the drybrushing stage and just use a thinned mithril or chainmail.

@Fabian: There is a really good painting class here for metals: http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?t=145 I never used to thin my metals but I followed this class originally and it works a treat.

Balgin Stondraeg

Quote from: Fabian on May 01, 2007, 01:57:07 PM
I tend to get a bit carried away with the highlighting and leave the paints too thick. You make it sound simple but you execute it well.

I get carried away with highlighting. I don't lay it on too thick 'though. I simply make the highlights too large. So when I'm painting up from the shade, my successive highlights progress too slowly. Each new layer of colour covers almost as much as the previous one. I'll look at the perfect highlight and think "nah, it needs a bit more" and add some around the edges. So then I'll want to put on a brighter one that'll be smaller (but it won't).

I wish I wouldn't overdo my highlights but I do (so stuff often ends up a bit brighter than I'd intended).

Fabian

I have that trouble too... my raptor has chrome plated armour now!  :icon_razz:

Excellent tutorial, thanks Matt. Not seen that one before!
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?