Custom Hobby Forum

• October 01, 2020, 03:18:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your friendly happy Custom Hobby Forum moderators are working tirelessly to keep our community free of inane and useless rabble.  Please stand by while we adjust settings to keep things friendly for our loyal contributors while preventing spam from littering our little corner of the Internet.  Thank you!  -- The Custom Hobby team

Author Topic: Modular Terrain  (Read 4417 times)

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
Modular Terrain
« on: January 22, 2010, 05:06:36 PM »

This is something I've been wanting to make for myself for a long time, and a couple of weeks ago, I had a flash of inspiration :)

The basic idea is to have a large fixed board (or boards) underneath, and then small boards on top that can be re-arranged to make the scenery desired.

I've gone for 2 feet by 4 feet 5mm plywood for my baseboards, onto which I've sketched out a six inch square grid.  These six inch squared blocks are to be the basic units of my modular terrain.  In the centre of each of these six inch squares on my baseboards, I have superglued a metal washer.

The terrain boards themselves are hardboard.  So far I've cut out six inch square, twelve inch square and six by twelve inch terrain boards.  To these I have glued paper backed grass flock sheets.  I've used the Gaugemaster spring grass product I got from Markway Models in Sheffield - but any similar product would do.  Much easier than gluing all that grass onto the boards by hand!! :)

Finally, I have stuck small pieces of strip basing magnet - I get mine from Hasslefree - to the centre of the underneath of each terrain board, corresponding to where they will connect to the washers on the baseboards.

Works pretty well so far - now I just need to make some terrain that is a little more interesting than flat glass tiles! :D

Your comments and feedback are most welcome! :)
:hal:   

alrith72

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
Re: Modular Terrain
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 06:10:09 PM »

looks good so far. What sort of terrain are you building and how are you attaching it to the boards? Is it scale specific?
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:39:07 PM »

Initially, as you can see, I'm making generic green grassland wargaming board.  Once I've got all this together, I might look at making different types of boards as well. It isn't going to be scale specific, but I'm sure I'll make a few scale specific pieces - especially for 15mm and 28mm, the scales I play most :D

The boards attach to each other when the magnets and steel washers come together ;)

alrith72

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 04:02:52 AM »

The boards attach to each other when the magnets and steel washers come together

I understood that bit :icon_wink: i just meant are you building seperate scenery pieces then attaching them to the individual sections of the board?
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 07:36:18 PM »

Sorry Al, I think I missed your reply,

Yes, I've made a few now, roads, rivers and coastal pieces.  I've nearly finished a couple of fords and a piece where a river flows into the sea; and I need to tackle hills next!

More pics below. Your comments and feedback are still most welcome. I'll try not to miss them this time! :)

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 03:29:19 PM »

Very nice work there Keeper! Were these pics from games or just set up to display it?

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 05:25:48 AM »

Thanks Mike :)

No, I just set up these pics to take some photos. I'm sure you know how it is :)  But I'm sure I'll be using this modular scenery for some games at home in the near future!  As soon as I can stop making new pieces ;)