Custom Hobby Forum

• July 03, 2020, 12:44:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Author Topic: Newb invades forum, starts Salamanders thread! HALP!  (Read 1901 times)

Soul Drinker

• Contributors
  • Dragon Egg
Newb invades forum, starts Salamanders thread! HALP!
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »

Howdy all, so here's a couple of pictures of guys that I'm working on.  I'm really new to painting and getting into the whole "pro modeling" aspect of the hobby.  I've got a couple of questions and I'm sure you've got answers to those questions and to questions that I should be asking.  :icon_biggrin2:  Ok first things first, here's a couple of pics of my dreadnought that's the furthest along and 1 pic of a sternguard and some lightning claw termies.

Ok, please tell me what you think, I haven't hit anything up with highlights, washes or dry brush at all.  I'm going to highlight using goblin green and use badab black for a wash.  Dry brushing I'm not really sure what to use.  :shrug:  I'm going to put up some more pics as I've got a rhino pretty far along and I'm going to need some help on converting a Grey Knight into Vulcan He'stan.   :occasion14:  

I'm really love the work you guys do here and I'm happy to be a part of this forum and hopefully learn a thing or two about a thing or two from you guys.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
Re: Newb invades forum, starts Salamanders thread! HALP!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:34:22 AM »

Looks good so far, Sould Drinker.  Nice neat base coats is always a great start! :)

Your colour selections for the next stages sound fine, too!  If you've going to be adding specific highlights, I'd avoid general drybrushing.  In fact, the only thing I'd be tempted to drybrush on these would be the metals ...

Take the deadnaught for example.  Wash the metals in your chosen black wash, then (when the wash is dry!) lightly drybrush them with the base metal colour again.  If you're using the same colour wash on your green - wash the whole model at the same time, then any mess you make on the green parts with your drybrushing can be tidied up dead easlly :)

Only colour difference I might recomment with respect to washes is perhaps a dark brown wash, rather than a black one on the gold detail - a black wash tends to kill the gold a little, I have found.

Hope that helps! :)
:hal:   

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 03:30:28 PM »

Yup black for siver, brown for gold. keeper has it right.

and welcome  :tip-hat:
I'll be in my bunk.

Soul Drinker

• Contributors
  • Dragon Egg
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 09:04:38 AM »

Thanks guys I really appreciate it!  Now what brown should I use, I see there's Ogryn Flesh and Gryphonne Sepia?  I have both.  Thanks so much, I'll post more pics when I've got them further along, hopefully work on them some more today.  I'm looking into some neon colors for the power claws.  I want to make them molten looking.   :dragon:

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 04:35:42 PM »

As far as brown washes go, you pay your money and place your bet. Just try one and see if you like it :)  If it is unutterably awful then repaint your base colour then try the other one! ;)

Looking forward to the photos :icon_biggrin2:
:hal:   

Soul Drinker

• Contributors
  • Dragon Egg
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 07:03:08 PM »

Cool, about to paint in a little bit.   :occasion14: