Custom Hobby Forum

• July 03, 2020, 12:45:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: Salish, agent of Karnacos  (Read 1511 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
Salish, agent of Karnacos
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:56:02 PM »

This is Salish. He's an altogether nasty piece of work. Not only is he a spy, an assassin, an agent of a foreign power, but he also has some rather nasty tendencies that weren't exactly included in the list of job requirements.

I'm not too happy with the skin. I was aiming for a sort of mediterranean skintone but it's come out a bit yellow despite not using snakebite leather (it's dark flesh, vermin fur and bubonic brown plus mixed halftones between stages). The stubble on his scalp is better than it was yesterday (when it was too dark on top). It's far from perfect but at least now it looks reasonable. He might have some secret message or cult symbols tattooed on his scalp and might now growing back a little hair to cover it.

The sword is finished. It's either coated with something dark to reduce visibility or that's a nasty venom dripping from his blade. I might add some more highlights later if it really seems to need it. The leathers will be dark. I haven't decided if the gloves and boots will be dark too or if they'll be lighter (as the belt and pouch will be). I haven't decided on a colour for the trousers yet but I'm thinking a sort of grey/blue or a dark red to tie in with the red theme already included in his clothing.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
Re: Salish, agent of Karnacos
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:04:17 AM »

I think Vermin Fur is an orange colour, I think that may be why you're getting what you don't like, but his skin looks pretty good.

You might also get a darker skin effect by making your hihglighting areas smaller.  I know this is something I get wrong on occasion.

Swatches that might help you chose a colour range for a skintone.
http://www.bruiser.ca/skintones.html

I'll not mention the studs, but I remember that they were a real pain in the arse when I painted this model!
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
Re: Salish, agent of Karnacos
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:39:37 PM »

I'll not mention the studs, but I remember that they were a real pain in the arse when I painted this model!

They're just blocked in. They'll get tidied up when the leathers get their base coat :p. The missing stud on the right gauntlet is the only annoying thing about them (and a few of the angles you need the brush to be at to reach a few of them).