Custom Hobby Forum

• July 03, 2020, 12:05:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Author Topic: Walls!  (Read 1344 times)

Caerban

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
Walls!
« on: May 09, 2009, 08:27:11 AM »

I'm knocking together a sort of post-apocalyptic diorama, there will be a HF martial arts chick and some nasty big a$$ robots (of rosy hue). The idea in question involves these Rose Madder mecha bursting through a wall to in turn find themselves taken down by our erstwhile heroine (she's been taking lots of vitamins). But the thing is I'm not much on walls and the whole post-apoc thing, I've done fantasy style stone walls out of blue styrofoam before but I feel that's too heavy a look. Can anyone give me some hints on knocking up modern looking masonry and rubble, preferably that will look good with some of Fenris' lovely brick rubble strewn around?
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." - Groucho Marx

dargrin

• Juvenile Dragon
    • www.darkgrinminiatures.com
Re: Walls!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:32:42 AM »

The only other thing that comes to mind if you are not going to use the blue stuff is using foam core board.  It's only about a 1cm thick and you can use the same tricks as the blue stuff. 

Just a thought.
Long term exposure to the Orb of Confusion will give you...er.. confusion!

I invite you to my dot on the web: http://www.darkgrinminiatures.com

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
Re: Walls!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 02:51:27 PM »

Modern masonry?

Most buildings have walls 2 bricks and insulation thick.

one brick around 1.8 to 2mm, air gap 0.5mm Insulation around 1mm thick and another layer of brick,

the whole thing around 5 to 6mm.

If its a taller building there will be columns, in europe and UK this will probably be concrete with reinforcement bars, in the US probably steel with thin coating of concrete.

Bricks should be 4.3mm long, 1.5mm high, 2.05mm thick at 1/50 which is close for Hasslefree figures (these include the mortar thickness which normally would be 10mm thick in real life, or 0.2mm thick at 1/50, a score line should do it)