Custom Hobby Forum

• July 03, 2020, 12:27:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Author Topic: Man of clay  (Read 2492 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
Man of clay
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:55:37 PM »

Well he's not finished yet but he's just a base away. Behold the mighty man of clay! Oh goodness, that wasn't supposed to rhyme.

I was actualy impressed. Due to the nature of the sculpt it was practicaly drybrushing. He's been chipped a little and needs some minor touching up (plus a few tiny gaps in the undercoat in awkward parts but I'll be able to sort it out sometime soon). I'm thinking of going with grass for the Hell Dorado bases because the conquistadors and saracens are generic enough to be used in other games.

There's 4 or 5 different shades of red and orange (and maybe even yellow) in the sigils and the eyes but the main body is only dark flesh drybrushed with vermin brown (and a few small snakebite leather highlights away from the face because I tried them closer and it made the orange almost blend in).

I'm still getting the hang of my new camera (it's harder to focus and much more motions ensitive so I'm going to have to get that small tripod set up sometime soon).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 07:59:51 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

snuurg

• Global Moderator
  • Wyrmling
    • snuurg.com
Re: Man of clay
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 12:56:12 AM »

- nice sculpt, and nifty paintjob, looks pretty proper on the roughly-hewn-from-mud side of things :)
...I am the thing that darkness fears...

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:07:30 AM »

The skin is really nice, but I can't make out what is going on with the head? Is it me?
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:11:18 AM »

No it's not just you. It has no mouth. http://helldorado.fr/factions/les-mercenaires/golem/index.php

And even no chin. Last picture.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:29:47 AM »

Never trust a monster than can't eat pies ;)

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 12:39:30 PM »

The thing is it's a jewish golem so it must have a mouth to put the piece of paper with the instructions on in.

If I were any better at freehand I'd write "I have no mouth but I must scream" around the edge of his base. Not only because you want to roar whenever he does anything (He's that strong) but also because it's the title of a classic short story.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 12:36:12 PM »

Copied my post from FOD for anyone who doesn't check there :P.

The Great Man Of Clay strikes again! Hopefuly some better lighting (less dark shadows) today but don't hold your hopes up. I wasn't going for a bright colour scheme.

It's the usual scrud* of modelling card on top of a bucket in the back garden but this time I've put the spray box behind it to try and reflect some light back (although not opposite the sun). I think these photos are more in focus anyway. I foudn how to put the camera on flower mode iunstead of default mode (have to do it every time I turn it on 'though). He's abit chipped now and needs some finishing touches beore he gets based and varnished. I'm dreading the varnish but if he comes out all glossy and shiney he can really look like wet clay :).

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 02:31:47 PM »

Nice with better pictures.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »

When I touch up ther scrud*es I'll do his base.

To do his base I need to fill that slot.

To fill the slot I need to sue putty.

I don't want to waste putty so I'd like to fill some other slots and stuff too.

I have other minis that need bases filling with putty but somehow I just keep getting put off.

Because his base has holes in it I haven't bothered to touch up the chipped bits :(.

It's getting to be like The Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly (or The House That Jack Built if you're american :p).

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 10:37:25 AM »

I don't waste expensive putty on filling gaps in bases.  I went to my local wickes (OK, I was there anywhere buying something else) and bought a largish (2 ltr, I think) bucket of the cheapest DIY filler material I could find - in my case, ready-mix coving adhesive.  So long as it can be sealed up again this stuff keeps for years and is handy right there for filling gaps and shaping bases whenever the muse takes me.  Cost me about three quid, I think.