Custom Hobby Forum

• December 04, 2020, 02:57:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Author Topic: Battle thread 7: Aurum and the Water Elemental!  (Read 6293 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
Battle thread 7: Aurum and the Water Elemental!
« on: July 26, 2008, 03:18:08 PM »

Daddda dun dun dun dun!

Okay, so this one's going to be nasty. First of all, Aurum is below water, without his shield. He is therefore ac 15. He currently is standing on the bottom of the bay. If he loses his footing, he loses his -1 dex penalty but everything under the water gets +2 to hit him. While standing on the bottom of the water he deals half damage with his axe and strikes at -2. His spiked gauntlets might be more effective, being a mixture of bludgeoning and punctuyring damage. Due to the dirty "darkness" he also suffers a slight miss chance against the elemental (because it's so hard to see) which it does not suffer (as it's in it's element).

Conversely, the water elemental is in it's element, it gains +1 to hit and damage while both of them are in the water. Since it's also made completely out of water, it's very hard to see. Now that it's close up it only requires something like a dc10 or 15 spot check to find it (and given the poor visibility that check grew progressively harder over distance). It easily got in a charge on the poor unsuspecting Aurum (spot checks taken at -1).

So with a surprise round, the elemental charges. It's charge attack roll is a shocking 25! It deals a mere 6 damage (it only rolled a 1). Now we go into round 1.

Aurum's initiative roll is a 10, it's is an 11 so it goes first. It attempts a grapple! It's touch attack roll is a 13. Aurum would get an attack of opportunity but he's still flat footed, so he doesn't.

Opposed grapple checks then: the water rolls an unimpressive 8 and Aurum (with a -2 penalty for being underwater) rolls a much more impressive 14. The watery force does not get a grip on him.

Go Aurum!

Wish him luck folks. Seriously, he'll need it.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
Re: Battle thread 7: Aurum and the Water Elemental!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 04:15:01 PM »

OOC: Balgin it should have gotten hurt to some degree when it tried to grapple me because of the armor spikes. Also Aurum had his shield aura, so it should have taken some dragon fire damage for attacking me in addition to any spike/grapple related damage.

Aurum tries to keep track of where the elemental is at all times and takes a defensive posture. He swims up (like a short step) a bit so he isn't causing the muck to block his vision. Only if he can clearly see it he uses his dragon breath attack on the water elemental.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 10:27:14 PM by Custom_Hobby »

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 06:37:53 PM »

OOC: Balgin it should have gotten hurt to some degree when it tried to grapple me because of the armor spikes. Also Aurum had his shield aura, so it should have taken some dragon fire damage for attacking me.[/i]

I'll check that. He's currently roling swimming checks at -1 (+7/-8) so we'll see how he does.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 06:51:40 PM »

Let me know if I need to roll the dragon breath I can post it.

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 10:01:36 AM »

'this is silly' says  Alarian, 'we should use the pearl to call her back rather than have our friend traips around the sea bottom, i mean we lost track of him in a mear few seconds, what chance has he to find a corpse or worse a zombie down there and exspect to fight it effectively or anything else alone down there for that matter?'
I'll be in my bunk.

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 08:33:45 PM »

"Nah - what's that muppet doing now"?
"I know that breath weapon recharges quickly, he'd better not skimp on it". "Even if he does go defensive and just uses his aura and breath weapon - he'll still have to find an easy way back up without climbing.".

OOC:
You can use that Dragon Breath every D4 rnds - so don't skimp on it. Unfortunately Water Elementals deon't have fire vulnerabliity, so it's normal damage.

Suggest you go defensive as part of your move action - +2(Dodge) AC, -4 to hit, but at least your breath wpn auto hits, so no prob there. Just make sure nothing else is down there - you might have to take some time finding a safe way back up that doesn't involve climbing.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 08:41:36 PM »

Cheers Paul :occasion14: I am going to use it every time I can. Balgin you need to let me know when it is recharged.

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 07:33:02 PM »

Hi

No probs CH. Just make sure you do more damge than they do. Quite possibly it's strong tides that will kill you - try climbing up steep rock formations under water, in full armour, without rope, in a strong current.   :icon_eek:

(Of course if all the berserkers on a sunken ship animate & attack, you're dead meat anyway....)

Well, here's crossing my fingers (and anything else) that you'll find a way out.....

Cheers
Paul H

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 07:59:29 PM »

He's a tough little bugger so I am I'll make it out of this one. I am starting with a blast of fire and going from there. Just waiting on Balgin :icon_wink:

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 12:57:02 PM »

Okay, so Aurum attempts to swim (2) and fails (dc15) so he's weighed down by the water and stuck on the bottom. He then attempts to spot the water elemental (shouldn't be too difficult but he's got awful perception skills). With a 13 I'll say he can manage to notice a disturbance in the water.

The group on the cliff top see a flicker of light for  amoment in the depths below (since there's so much water above it) and he breathes forth a great gout of flame you wouldn't expect to work underwater (but apparently it does). The water fails it's save (9) and takes 5 damage as it boils and evaporates. It's angry now so it's going for a straight physical attack. It gets a 16 and buffets him for 11 damage.

The d4 is a 1 so fortunately Aurum's got reserves of flame left over (maybe he held some in in case he missed it). Okay, go Mike!

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »

Did you remember to factor in my shield aurua for the first time it attacked me and also the armor spikes? then you need ot factor it in for this second time it attacked me :icon_wink:

Aurum uses his breath weapon again.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:48:25 PM by Custom_Hobby »

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 09:28:38 AM »

The elemental fails it's save and takes another 6 damage for 11. Aurum doesn't so much breath again as keep on breathing (so it's a continuous blast). It tries to ram itself down his throat and quecnch the flames (physical atatck). It both threatenes (27) and confirms (16) a critical hit! Aurum takes 21 damage!

That puts him on 32 pints of damage :(. Fortunately the d4 roll for breathing is yet another 1 so clearly he can burn it as it tries to flow down his throat and drown him (hey, it doesn't know he can breath underwater).

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 01:22:56 PM »

Aurum continues his breath attack and prays it dies

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 04:45:24 PM »

Hi

Aurum - Hope you're remembering to move 5' & go defensive every turn as well........

Cheers
Paul H

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 05:24:29 PM »

Will that have an effect if Balgin said it jumped down my throat? Balgin seems to be ignoring the questions I am asking him in this thread. I had mentioned before that he got into a defensive posture, but don't know if it made any difference. Just in case:

Aurum takes a 5' step back and gets into a defensive posture before he unleashes another blast of dragon fire.