Custom Hobby Forum

• October 27, 2021, 08:04:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Author Topic: A Little Help Please, and an Eeeeeeevil Church WIP.  (Read 1860 times)

Caerban

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
A Little Help Please, and an Eeeeeeevil Church WIP.
« on: July 20, 2008, 05:42:59 PM »

I've been working on my Forum of Doom - Diorama of Doom (full update can be seen here if you're interested and haven't seen it already). To cut a long story short I've reached this stage:

It's just blu-tacked together in this shot, things will be a little more elaborate, the doors have working hinges and such waiting to be attached f'rinstance. I've never done anything like this before however and I'm getting a little stuck. My biggest problem is that I have never used blue foam before for anything and it occurs to me I have no idea how to glue it to things or what to use to fill in the substantial gaps between wall and arch that my kack-handed cutting left. So good people what will work, what won't and what will reduce my wall to a pool of bubbling blue ichor? Any advice on using blue foam or critique would be welcome.
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." - Groucho Marx

weirdwolf

• Dragon Egg
Re: A Little Help Please, and an Eeeeeeevil Church WIP.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 05:58:15 PM »

Looking good. Have you tried YUHU!

Try a test on some scrud* though as I don't know what type of foam it is.

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 05:58:39 PM »

Grendel resin gateway there?

theommir is the expert at blue foam, I suggest you get a small screwdriver and bluntish pencil and work the stones.

paint.. cover in emulsion first before you spray... it does eat it but not quite as much as normal foam.

filling the gap.. hmmmm

cut some more foam and add a half row at the bottom... cut out some foam stones and do a tumbled wall to hide the gap with kitty litter rubble.

Glues that do work.. PVA... No more nails (eats a bit) both take ages to set as they don't have anything to soak into.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 07:03:18 PM »

Bostik used to be good but then they reformatted it into this really weak milky white stuff that was rubbish so I can't help you there mate.

Caerban

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 07:06:59 PM »

Grendel resin gateway there?

theommir is the expert at blue foam, I suggest you get a small screwdriver and bluntish pencil and work the stones.

paint.. cover in emulsion first before you spray... it does eat it but not quite as much as normal foam.

filling the gap.. hmmmm

cut some more foam and add a half row at the bottom... cut out some foam stones and do a tumbled wall to hide the gap with kitty litter rubble.

Glues that do work.. PVA... No more nails (eats a bit) both take ages to set as they don't have anything to soak into.

It's actually the old Ral Partha ruined archway but having seen the Grendel one they look to be the same one.
Stones were worked using a paper embosser followed by rolling a stone over them. The stone was a technique I think I lifted from one of Theomar's threads. They give a really nice texture.... whiiiich you can't see in the photo  :icon_wink:
I've got some black gesso which is going on as the undercoat for this and hopefully I'll have my airbrush up to speed to paint it.
The gap at the bottom is being covered using some modified foam blocks I cooked up earlier this evening to look like a stone edging piece we have in a local church.
Got some PVA and some UHU but I'll wait a bit for more advice before gluing anything. Get as much info as I can before I mess it up  :icon_mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 07:16:38 PM by Caerban »
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." - Groucho Marx

geronimo

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
    • Fenris Games
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 12:52:44 AM »

PVA will work both as a cement for sticking blue foam and as a sealer (thin it down with water so you can paint it on with a cheap old brush) before painting/doing anything else. Then you can fill gaps with polyfilla, milliput, GS, whatever.

Otherwise, you're well on track!
Fenris Games
Too many ideas....way too little time...

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 02:01:55 AM »

:yeahthat: Sorry I didn't get to this sooner. Geronimo hit it on the head though.

Medved

• man with the fluffy skates
  • Global Moderator
  • Young Adult Dragon
  • look at my fluffy skates!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 02:40:49 AM »

use some wood dowel to 'pin' the foam to the base and glue with wood glue (elmers glue if you're in the USA)

i'd cut down the blue foam a bit so that it doesnt overlap the diameter of the circular base. (composition tip)

you can fill the gaps with milliput as it has quite a coarse texture like stone.  you can also water the stuff down and paint it over the foam and then seal with wood glue.

Caerban

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 05:18:26 AM »

@Medved: I'm gonna fix the wall in place then trim it to match the curve of the base, that way (hopefully) I won't mess it up and cut too much off one side or something.
Cheers all. Watered down PVA first it is then. After that I'll see how much Milliput I have left.
 :tip-hat:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:20:47 AM by Caerban »