News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Main Menu

Dwarf Siege Gun

Started by Laikalappie, April 19, 2008, 05:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laikalappie

As this is my first post on this forum, hi all!
I've been directed to this forum some time ago by Perv, and been looking around a bit lately. Since I need advice on something now,  I thought this would be a good opportunity to register on Customhobby!

Anyway, my question. I'm participating to an OPC in 2 to 3 weeks, with a Dwarf Siege Gun.
I got three original crewmembers from it: the swabber, chief (lits the gun) and a little guy with a bucket of water.
As I'd like to be original with it, I created a base. It has a little pool in it. I've never converted water before, or painted it. First, I tried to do it like this, though it looked bad. Then I got inspired by this article on CMON. I put some scenery rocks on the bottom of the gap for the water, added a bulk of PVA glue and painted ripples on it. It looks fairly good, though I'm doubting if it is good enough for an OPC, if I need to add another layer of PVA (and paint ripples again?) and just the overall look of the whole thing.

So, generally, any advice?
Here's some pics:

Water WIP 1
Water WIP 2
Water overall pic

Thanks in advance. Oh and by the way, I like your emoticons!!  :occasion14:
And your spell check .. since I'm Dutch  :icon_wink: Only had one tiny mistake, though.

Perv

Good to see you here mate, I couldnt help Laikalappie with this one so referred him here  :icon_wink:

Agentmolar

Hi mate you've come to the right place for advice.

There is a trick to water. You have to create a field of depth using darker paints to represent the deeper parts of the water, and go up to lighter on the sides.

If you are going for a natural pond colour then use dark greens for the center to light brown on the edges. If you are going for a fantasy blue, Dark blue in the center and up to light blue on the sides.

You can also mix tints with the water effects you are using to give less of a clear effect.

http://www.hirstarts.com/tips24/tips24.html#river
Funny isnt it how naughty dentists always make their one fatal mistake.
Bye for now, keep your teeth clean
www.dentalserenity.com.au

Laikalappie

Ok, but I'll probaly have to make a new pond for that? Or do you think I can change this one *going to have a look*?

Love your avatar by the way, Agentmolar  :icon_cool:

Custom_Hobby

 :welcome: to the CH forum Laikalappie. Agentmolar covered it well for you. Try it out and post some more pics when you get a chance. :bludrgn2:
Mike
www.CustomHobby.com

Theomar Pius

#5
I honestly didn't know that that was a pool, until you mentioned it. I think with the water, it's the waves that let it down. On water, I think it is best if all of the paint is beneath the surface. Try using WS water effects for waves. I've had good results with it in the past, and since they are just clear, it  more or less just looks like waves. Also, I would consider context. If this is a coastline, then rolling waves are appropriate. If it's a small pool, then the only way you would get big waves would be with huge wind. You are on the right path, as the water itself looks pretty good, just some pointers.

Agentmolar

Quote from: Laikalappie on April 19, 2008, 06:59:22 AM

Love your avatar by the way, Agentmolar  :icon_cool:

Your welcome  :icon_mrgreen:

Depending on the thickness of your water effects you could still play with it. Repainting the top of it with a gradient of colour, then reapplying the water effects on top will work.

Im really keen to play with envirotex to make a nice water feature. Hirst recommends using epoxy on the top to make ripples, alterantively water effects like theomar work quite nicely. Ive used them with good effect before. They can also be used to make water falls and icicles.
Funny isnt it how naughty dentists always make their one fatal mistake.
Bye for now, keep your teeth clean
www.dentalserenity.com.au

Laikalappie

Oh lol, I see your sig only now, nice quote and addition to your avatar :icon_mrgreen:

QuoteOn water, I think it is best if all of the paint is beneath the surface
Yeah, that was one of the things I had doubt about; I intended to add another layer of PVA glue when I painted the pool, though I thought it looked nice as it was and that another layer would probably become too thick, so I didn't.

The pool you see in the picture is removed by now, I'm making my third attempt at the moment, using the guide Agentmolar gave me. I'm going to finish that first.

I don't have anything like "WS water effects", and don't think I can/am going to get it any time soon either, since the local hobby shop has very few/none things useable for this hobby. So, any other advices?

Theomar Pius

Woodlan Scenics water effects, I'd look again. It's in the model railroad section. That's all I've ever used, and it is soooo useful for me, I use it for waves, icicles, gap filling, texture on buildings, it is probably pound for pound, the most useful stuff out there.

Bungle

clear yacht varnish..... its slightly flexible, and has a very light brown tint....

costs about £5 a litre.






Laikalappie

Ok, a little update on one crewman:
(note that although he's nearly finished, this is still WIP. I had to take some pics for bugmansbrewery, and took pics of him as well. And, apologies for the quality of the pics.)





Feathers are looking nice IMO, but a little chalky. Don't know why.

Hawkins

QuoteFeathers are looking nice IMO, but a little chalky. Don't know why.


it looks like you added white paint for the highlight....dont add white paint, add yellow to the green and red (orange) for the highlight for the feathers, the blue is fine just try not the drybrush...
I'll be in my bunk.

Agentmolar

You can go white, but its the absolute last step.

Use desert yellow, bleached bone or Kommando Khaki for adding to highlights.

I have lately found that red works best by initially mixing bronzed flesh to get the blending, then using spacewolfs grey alone to get the reflection point with final pointing of white to finish off.. Dont ask me why, but its been a god send to painting red for me.
Funny isnt it how naughty dentists always make their one fatal mistake.
Bye for now, keep your teeth clean
www.dentalserenity.com.au

Laikalappie

Ah, okay, still learned something today then  :icon_w00t:

The Master Gunner also gots feathers, I'll paint those differently, see how it comes out and perhaps then repaint these.

Custom_Hobby

Looks nice. Also to avoid the chalky look think down the paints a little more.
Mike
www.CustomHobby.com