News:

Your friendly happy Custom Hobby Forum moderators are working tirelessly to keep our community free of inane and useless rabble.  Please stand by while we adjust settings to keep things friendly for our loyal contributors while preventing spam from littering our little corner of the Internet.  Thank you!  -- The Custom Hobby team

Main Menu

Village Blacksmith step by step

Started by Theomar Pius, September 15, 2007, 02:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perv

Looks very good but still not very forgey mate  :icon_w00t:

Theomar Pius

Quote from: Perv on September 28, 2007, 03:48:34 PM
Looks very good but still not very forgey mate  :icon_w00t:

did you happen to see the forge I carved from the first post?
it's going to be attached to the shop/ apartment under a pavilion, bringing the whole thing together.
The building is essentially only half of the building. The forge will be under the pavilion, with the smiths work area being in the upen air under the pavilion as well.

Custom_Hobby

Its one of those cases where it is still a WIP and some people don't see it yet. I wrote in another thread that it is the exact reason I hate sending WIP pics to new customers :icon_wink:
Mike
www.CustomHobby.com

Bodhi

So...
What you're saying is there's not SUPPOSED to be advertisement for a toy plane on the roof? And here was me thinking that gave it such a particularly medieval look...
I'll go and sulk now.
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

Theomar Pius

Quote from: Bodhi on September 28, 2007, 06:01:19 PM
So...
What you're saying is there's not SUPPOSED to be advertisement for a toy plane on the roof? And here was me thinking that gave it such a particularly medieval look...
I'll go and sulk now.

It's a scale model, not a toy! :icon_wink:

Bodhi

Oh sorry. And it's miniature sculptures I'm doing not toys  :icon_wink:
I usually say that when people ask "I sculpt toys". Much easier for people to understand.
Only thing wrong in the picture is that the toy industry pays MUCH better but leave NO room for artistic creativity (from what I've heard) and also allways keep the sculptor anonymous. So it's much more like a kind of factory work.
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

Perv

Quote from: Theomar Pius on September 28, 2007, 03:52:58 PM

did you happen to see the forge I carved from the first post?
it's going to be attached to the shop/ apartment under a pavilion, bringing the whole thing together.
The building is essentially only half of the building. The forge will be under the pavilion, with the smiths work area being in the upen air under the pavilion as well.

Ah I getcha, when u said you are just doing interior black I thought it wouldnt be too different from a house.  Didnt realise you still had add ons for the exterior.  Has been a while since I saw first post  :icon_w00t:

lol Mike I understand that things only come together in the end but when a house is being built you can tell its a house b4 its finished, its not like the front door goes on and you say ahhh, I see it now, its a house  :icon_w00t:  With people like me around I can fully understand why you dont do WIP pics though mate  :icon_wink:

Theomar Pius

It's been a few days, working on one of my least favourite tasks to work on, but one of my favourites for results: the roof.
This one has 624 individual shingles, cut from a sheet of styrene. The top piece is a bit of l-shaped strip styrene.


Perv

624 pieces?  I know why you hate it !!!  couldnt you use a hirst mould for the roof or would you prefer the work all to be created yourself?  They do wood shingle, clay tile and gothic style roofs.  May make life easier.

http://www.hirstarts.com/molds/molds.html

Moulds #230, 235 and 240

Rackham do a couple of shop signposts and 1 would look great sitting outside when its finished perhaps?

Looking good though mate and you're almost finished now  :icon_wink:

Custom_Hobby

Quote from: Theomar Pius on October 02, 2007, 02:55:26 AM
624 individual shingles

These models are a labor of love and are pieces of art in my eye. Not just things you can pop out of a mould.
Mike
www.CustomHobby.com

Perv

Quote from: Custom_Hobby on October 02, 2007, 07:26:14 AM
Quote from: Theomar Pius on October 02, 2007, 02:55:26 AM
624 individual shingles

These models are a labor of love and are pieces of art in my eye. Not just things you can pop out of a mould.

I thought that would be more the case.  I refuse to use paper print outs in my stuff except for banners, need texture  :icon_w00t:  I fully understand

Custom_Hobby

An example i the grond model we did. Each wheel had 12 individual pieces. in total there were over 350 indiviual tiny pieces of wood that went into that model.
Mike
www.CustomHobby.com

Theomar Pius

My tavern had over 1100 shingles, and the town gate had so many that I didn't bother to count, probably over 3000. But I have a philosophy that just because something is hard, doesn't mean it shouldm't be done. I've used plastruct sheet roofing in the past, and the results from hand making them blows it away. The reason I hate doing it is I wear a hole in my thumb with the knife, and the plastic shavings get everywhere. I usually glue my fingers together a few times as well. :icon_wink:

dargrin

Education needed. What is Styrene?

Quote from: Theomar Pius on October 02, 2007, 02:55:26 AM
This one has 624 individual shingles, cut from a sheet of styrene. The top piece is a bit of l-shaped strip styrene.
Long term exposure to the Orb of Confusion will give you...er.. confusion!

I invite you to my dot on the web: http://www.darkgrinminiatures.com

Custom_Hobby

Mike
www.CustomHobby.com