News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Main Menu

Dice

Started by Balgin Stondraeg, May 20, 2007, 01:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balgin Stondraeg

Just to let everyone know, I haven't decided how we'll be doing dice rolls yet (I'm perfectly happy to sit down with my dice bag and roll them all). Characters will be points buy (haven't decided how many points yet) because we haven't got an automated dice rolling program so nobody could complain if everyone had the same numbers to play with.

As for actual in game dice rolls I haven't decided yet. Again, due to the lack of dice I might allow/force all the players to sue the "average" optional rule where you get three quarters of the hit die rather than rolling (exept at 1st level). I'm not too worried about how many hitpoints people have and I'm happy to roll them.

So I'm happy to roll dice, I'm happy to use an online dice roller type thing if everyone else is okay with it. I've also had a few ideas like, you can roll any number you want on the die but you must roll every number that's on it before you can roll something you've had before (an idea I've played about with a few years ago but never got round to testing), the "reverse dice" idea (where I decide if I'm reversing it or not, then ask the player which number they want, so if they said 57 on a reversed d100 they'd get a 43).

I'm not too fussed about actual dice rolls most of the time but I'll get all rules lawyer on your arses when it's really nasty life or death situations (meaning I'll post battlemaps and update them to simulate flanking and stuff). I know the rules (don't encecssarily like all of them but that's another matter).

I've also got a few other ideas but I thought I'd check what people think of dice first.

Balgin Stondraeg

On a (barely) related note, here's a link to my favourite character sheet (I've been using it pretty exclusively since the 3rd ed rules came out). I just find it a lot more useful than those crud*py little two page ones (plus the last page bears a lot of similarity to the character description, personality quirks, friends, enemies & will section from the old 1st ed sheets). It's also a layered pdf so you can do things like turn on/off the psionics skills/options etc. It's just great :).

The four page sheet (version 2.3).

Fabian

Wow, those are some nice sheets... might just have to alert the 'Playthings of the Gods' players to that.  :occasion14:
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?


Balgin Stondraeg

Quote from: Fabian on May 20, 2007, 05:16:13 AM
Wow, those are some nice sheets... might just have to alert the 'Playthings of the Gods' players to that.  :occasion14:

Almost considered doing so myself :).

Custom_Hobby

It is a nice sheet, I just downloaded it.
Mike
www.CustomHobby.com

Fabian

Oi Balgy, hands of my players!  :icon_razz:

Just kidding, thanks for the link; I'd heard of the Mad Irishman years ago but forgotten about his sheets. The 1e style one cracks me up!
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?


Alex

I'm not sure the exact details, but warseer.com has a dice roller built into the board. Whether that's feasible or not is something for Mike and his mechanics to work out.

Other than that, I'd rather Balgin rolled the dice than I had to keep track of which numbers I'd used off a D20 etc, though we're all grown-ups here, so I'm happy enough trusting everyone else to be honest about that sort of thing and do it themselves.

Custom_Hobby

If anyone can find a dice roller that is compatible with SMF then I can install it.
Mike
www.CustomHobby.com

Rod the Worm

www.irony.com does a dice roller in which you can specify dice type, number of dice (including drop highest/lowest), repeat rolls, add bonuses/penalties to the rolls etc.  It's a pretty good one, though probably not all that much quicker than actually rolling them if Balgin were to do them all.  If we used it, it can be set to send the results to an email address to create a record, though Balgin may not appreciate getting 20-odd dice emails to look through each combat round... :(

Fabian

I've found rolling all dice myself to be not that much work. But we haven't got to combat yet  :icon_razz:
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?


Balgin Stondraeg

The annoying thing is this: I regularly play at a forum which has a built in dice rolling script.

You just type [dice] then write something like 2d8+12 (or whatever you want to roll) and then type [/dice] at the end of it.

It shows the individual rolls and the total.

Unfortunately the guy who scripted it has a lot of real life issues going on at the moment otherwise I'di ask him how he did it and if we could use it here.

There's even two different dice buttons at the top of the posting box (can't remember the difference between them but they serve slightly different functions). They're right next to the quote, italics, bolds and stuff buttons.

Balgin Stondraeg

Okay, sod it, I'm going to roll people's hitpoints now using real dice. I'll then let people know what I've roleld and we'll see if anyone's seriously unhappy (in which case theyn might have to just be a bit more careful than they'd planned or something).

Fabian

 :icon_neutral: I await that crucial d12 roll with bated breath...  :icon_ermm:

EDIT: Didn't have long to wait! Well, that's still median HP overall so I'm happy.
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?


Balgin Stondraeg

Kiaphas:

d8: 1
d8: 4
d8: 2

That's pretty shocking. Oh well, totalling at 15.

Alarian

d6: 4
d12: 6
d10: 4

Not too impressive but it'll do. So that totals at 20 then.

Raoul

d6: 5
d10: 8
d10: 6

So that's totalling at 25.

Ivor

d4: 3
d4:1
d4:3

Totalling at 15.

Rogan

d8:2
d8:2
d8:5

Totalling at 29 (big con bonus).

Yes, my dice are always this bad (and usualy worse).

Fabian

The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?