News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Main Menu

A blast from the past

Started by Fabian, April 25, 2007, 12:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gi6ers

Quote from: Fabian on April 25, 2007, 04:27:34 PM
You also have a recognizable style, as do David and Matt, which I think shows how confident you've become.

Really!?!  :icon_eek: I'm quite surprised by this comment...go on then, describe my style.

Dr.Evil

Better yet, discribe all three.  :icon_twisted:

On the spot now.  :icon_wink:
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction


Fabian

Very well, "gixers"  :icon_razz: - deep shading, very pronounced contrasts between light and dark producing very solid, 3d effect; Cheddar - bright colours, shading not as deep or as blended as Matt's but good harmonious colour schemes, sometimes converted, perhaps a little whacky; Wristy - subtle, natural tones, attention paid to flesh tones, inventive combinations of miniatures, often monstrous.

That's on the spot, off the top of me head wittering.
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?


Keeper

My own small contribution from about 12 years ago:


And for the same army from about 6 years ago:


Those of you who saw the Space Marine Captain I posted recently will have seen how much I've improved since then :)
:hal:   

gi6ers

#19
@Fabian - ta, didn't think I had developed a style yet, if I had to describe what you do I'd say understated with a good feel for colour.

@Keeper - Those Termies are mental! I've got some of the chainfist version somewhere..

Fabian

@ gi6ers - Cheers, mate!

@keeper - yeah, those fellas are nutty! Or should I say wine-gummy? The colour scheme reminds me of Maynards wine gums packets... yes I'm weird.  :icon_razz:
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?


cheddarmonger

Um...  any particular reason for the pink triangle?  Does that mean the same thing out there as it does here?
Nevermind me, I have a cruddy banner, so please click HERE for Cheddarmongers!

Dr.Evil

@Keeper
They not only kick's the ass of mine back then but also jump on them too for effect as well.  :icon_razz:

Strange figure's can capture my humor at time's and then i have to paint them.  :icon_razz:
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction


Custom_Hobby

Quote from: cheddarmonger on April 25, 2007, 04:59:48 PM
Um...  any particular reason for the pink triangle?  Does that mean the same thing out there as it does here?

....or the rainbow theme?
Mike
www.CustomHobby.com

cheddarmonger

Quote from: Custom_Hobby on April 25, 2007, 05:02:27 PM
Quote from: cheddarmonger on April 25, 2007, 04:59:48 PM
Um...  any particular reason for the pink triangle?  Does that mean the same thing out there as it does here?

....or the rainbow theme?
Yeah, the rainbow termies!
Nevermind me, I have a cruddy banner, so please click HERE for Cheddarmongers!

Fabian

Well there was a chapter called The Rainbow Warriors (40K geek hat on) who were destroyed for being heretical, but they were blue IIRC with a rainbow stripe running from top to beak on the beaky marines. I always thought they were kind of cool.
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?


Custom_Hobby

Sounds cool. They are actually painted well. I just wondered where the theme came from.
Mike
www.CustomHobby.com

Keeper

Yes, they are my Rainbow Warriors, but I felt that the colour scheme shown in Rogue Trader was a bit crud*, so I embelished it a bit ... although the terminators are an extreme example.  I'll try and take some photos of the other troops, so you can see what a more normal trooper looks like.

I developed a whole set of rules for the different colours of the armour to be used for different roles within the chapter, but I was a teenager and I had more time available then ...

I painted these terminators mostly for Space Hulk (in fact that is where I acquired the minis from), but obviously they can be used in my 40k army as well.  I've got a lots and lots of TTDA waiting to be painted with lots of different weapons combinations, but after painting five of them in this colour scheme, you are inclinded to paint something simpler for a while ... especially those blended rainbows, they do your head in after a while!  :blink:

I don't think the chapter has been desroyed for being heretical, though, as they are still listed as a chapter on the GW site.
Proof: http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/chapter-gallery/4/

However, my 40k gamer friends always accuse me of having painted Slaaneshii workshiping space marines :)  There is a line drawing towards the back of the Rogue Trader book of a Rainbow Warrior being shot by a Sister of Battle - maybe that is what you're thinking of, Fabian.

Yes the pink triangle means the same thing over here.  Technically, it is just a campaign badge, but you know, all those big strong men, living and working and fighting and dying together; not having any women or children about.  Nothing they need to shout about, just the way that they are.  Besides, I didn't start the subtle hints about the nature of Space Marines, Games Workshop did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Johnson  :icon_eek: ;)

I know what you mean about Wine Gums packets, Fabian.  I deliberately kept the colours a little flatter than I might otherwise have done so that they were bold and matched the rainbows.  When I tried highlighting them too much, they lost the colour connection to the blended rainbows and this figures just looked odd.  Well, OK, even more odd :D

I'll go and try and find the box they're in and my camera ... :)
:hal:   

Fabian

Yep, Sister Sin shooting Brother Vermillion - a seminal Rogue Trader image. Maybe it's just fan boy fluff that they were all destroyed.

Brother Vermillion: Hey sister! Black is so last year!
Sister Sin: -

Bang!
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?


Medved

oh the old days of mini painting, when you never had to worry about mould lines or generally cleaning up the mini.

it was a case of stick him on the base and painting it green, then off to battle.

anybody remember priming minis with tipp-ex?