News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Main Menu

St George's Day

Started by Keeper, April 23, 2007, 06:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keeper

Hi All,

Since it is St George's day today, I thought I'd post a suitable miniature.  Feel free to comment on the painting, although in my own defence I did paint this chap two or three years ago! :)

It would have been better if I'd finished the the St George and the Dragon mini from Salute a couple of years ago, but the Zero Three mini will just have to do!

:hal:   

cheddarmonger

The paintjob is pretty good!  Nice neat freehand, and the white has some subtle shading to it to give it depth.

Did you dullcoat this one?
Nevermind me, I have a cruddy banner, so please click HERE for Cheddarmongers!

Keeper

No, actually this was sprayed with GW Satin varnish (whatever its name is), but I did it inside the garage on a wet day, and I've discovered that this makes the finish all chalky and powerdery.  Actually, the final effect is not as bad as I first thought it was (as you see), but it has made a bit of a mess of the chainmail.
:hal:   

gi6ers

Ah! Death by purity seal.

The chainmail and skin could do with a bit of shading but the freehand is very tidy (and I'm jealous!)

cheddarmonger

:sign5:

If you touched up the chainmail, the skin, and the hair, this would be a great paintjob!
Nevermind me, I have a cruddy banner, so please click HERE for Cheddarmongers!

Custom_Hobby

Strip it and start over! Just kidding.

Not bad if this was a few years ago. The freehand is very neat and the whites look good. try the touch ups suggested and post some new pics.
Mike
www.CustomHobby.com

Balgin Stondraeg

That's nice. I like the sculpt (save the fact that that's a cavalry shield as the point is angled back and away from the body to protect the horse when he turns round to back off for another charge) and I like the paintjob too. Good stuff :).

Fabian

Maybe he just got off his horse?  :icon_razz:
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?


cheddarmonger

Maybe the Dragon ate his horse?

Nevermind me, I have a cruddy banner, so please click HERE for Cheddarmongers!

Bungle

Evil Turkish dragon.... and our brave armenian national saint.. what a cosmopolitan country we are  :icon_wink:

Dr.Evil

Quote from: Bungle on April 23, 2007, 02:25:12 PM
Evil Turkish dragon.... and our brave armenian national saint.. what a cosmopolitan country we are  :icon_wink:

I though you wrote American there at first...  :laughing7:
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction


Custom_Hobby

I thought that same thing.
Mike
www.CustomHobby.com

Rays Bat

Me three! :icon_scratch:

Keeper

#13
I might have a go at touching him up - but I keep seeing the lead mountain and thinking I should tackle those first ... maybe when the lead mountain is smaller :D

I'll do better chainmail, flesh and hair on the minis I paint in the mean time, I promise :)

I thought that St George was the national saint of:
England;
Georgia (the country, for you isolationists :));
Malta;
Lebanon;
Palestine;
Ethiopia;
Bulgaria;
Greece;
Portugal; and
Holland.

And, of course, boy scouts.

:hal:   

Bungle

#14
was a soldier of the Roman Empire, from Anatolia, now modern day Turkey.
Saint George is the most venerated saint in the Eastern Orthodox Church and Oriental Orthodox Churches.

he is the patron saint of:
Canada,
Catalonia,  Aragon
England,
Ethiopia,
Georgia,
Greece,
Montenegro,
Portugal,
Serbia,
the cities of Istanbul, Ljubljana and Moscow, as well as a wide range of professions, organisations and disease sufferers.

His father was from Cappadocia and served as an officer of the Roman army. His mother was from Lydda, Lod in israel

I was wrong.... or maybe the borders change Cappadocia was part of the Armenian empire :icon_wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

I didn't know about holland, malta etc