News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Main Menu

My latest sculpt - Baruk packbeast

Started by Carcharoth, October 14, 2007, 04:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carcharoth

I joined this forum a while back, but never quite got around to posting anything... I've not done much sculpting for a while, but had a random bout of enthusiasm last week!

Anyway, here is a 'baruk', a pack beast for a fantasy world that is a bit of a pet project of mine. Any comments would be appreciated as I've not plucked up courage to show any sculpts for a while!



Mike

gi6ers

#1
I really like him, good sense of movement, I can imagine it plodding along in the sun..I'm interested to see who is leading it...If I had a negative it would be around the ankles, I'd expect some wrinkles around the joint.

Don't see enough of your sculpts, did you ever get the alien Grey cast?

Does your fantasy world have any predatory lizards?

Fabian

Now that is seriously nice. Love it.  :icon_w00t:
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?


Carcharoth

Those were quick responses! Thank you. Thanks even more for them being positive!

Looking at the pictures I should perhaps do a bit more on the ankles, and some of the other skin texture... He's not finished yet, so any other comments would be handy!
The guy leading it would be a fubarnii. I've got some pictures of WIP sculpts on my blog http://mikethorp.blogspot.com/.
There are predatory lizard-mammal-dinosaur creatures in Twilight. Not dinosaurs as such, but probably rather inspired by them!

Andy cast me up a few aliens, but I never got them cast up beyond that.

gi6ers

I love the texture on the smaller one, excellent and makes me want to paint one.


Bungle

#5
Quote from: Carcharoth on October 14, 2007, 05:30:56 PM
Looking at the pictures I should perhaps do a bit more on the ankles, and some of the other skin texture... He's not finished yet, so any other comments would be handy!

You have picked up on what I thought - skin texture needs work.

I love this guy too:


some bobbles on the packbeast like on this one would be great. How did you do them?

Both the pack beast and the little fella would make great alien mounts for smaller scales too if it had finer straps and a seperate load....


In fact the more I look at the pack beast the more I think it would benefit from casting in a nice soft lead so the tail and neck can be bent to get more variety....

cheddarmonger

#6
Ooh, Mike, these are fantastic!

I really gotta finish that Fubarnii Knight!!!   :Doh!:
Nevermind me, I have a cruddy banner, so please click HERE for Cheddarmongers!

S1ND3X

that's some really nice work, it's good to see non horses
Seraphon Productions
Oils, Pencils and Putties, drop in and have a browse

Keeper

Really nice, Mike :)  Excellent looking creatures!
:hal:   

cheddarmonger

#9
So...  are there any plans for releasing the Fubarnii set?  Or...  any way I can get my hands on these guys?

Here's my Carcharoth collection in progress:

http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/key/carcharoth

And, here's my latest workbench, with a WIP of the Fubarnii Knight:

http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/workbench/20071014
Nevermind me, I have a cruddy banner, so please click HERE for Cheddarmongers!

gi6ers

No idea what I've done with my giant scorpion...I really like my paintjob on that, and it took seconds.

Carcharoth

Some day I'll get enough models done to get a small range cast up, but it is such a slow process! And I tend to keep getting distracted... There will be a set of fubarnii figures some day, although I doubt they would ever be terribly marketable.

Skin texture on beasts is always a tricky one. The nobbly bits on the little guy are a bit of a cheat really - stolen from Andy. If you cut open a water filter there are lots of little green pellets of varying size...

Thanks for showing your painted models David - I always like seeing my models painted by somebody else  :icon_smile:

You would be hard pressed casting in metal soft enough to bend the neck. I was going to do a little accessories pack of extras to load the baruk even further, and it migth be fun to sculpt an alternate head/tail seen as I'll have to chop him up to cast eventually anyway. It would be nice to have a group of three slightly different ones to defend against Devanu attacks...

Bungle

Well if you want to do an unladen version with a couple of different loads...  :blob10: :blob6: :blob5: :blob7: :blob3: :blob9: :blob9: :wav: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 

cheddarmonger

and for those too lazy to click the link to my gallery, here's one of my favorites, Urkmon the Urkmon:

Nevermind me, I have a cruddy banner, so please click HERE for Cheddarmongers!

geronimo

Really nice designs and sculpts there....I'm a sucker for weird/alien mounts and inhuman species  :icon_w00t:
Fenris Games
Too many ideas....way too little time...