Custom Hobby Forum

Hobby Workbench => Member Gallery => Topic started by: dargrin on August 06, 2007, 01:15:10 PM

Title: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: dargrin on August 06, 2007, 01:15:10 PM
Here is number 2.  This weekend came and went too fast.

(http://home.comcast.net/~mikechrisnoahtyler/maiden2of3.JPG)
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: Perv on August 06, 2007, 02:15:15 PM
looks good again mate, nicely matching.  I like the shield especially  :clap2:
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: geronimo on August 06, 2007, 02:59:22 PM
Yup, nice consistency with the previous mini. Grats!
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: gi6ers on August 06, 2007, 03:13:51 PM
good stufff, the gold is very effective, not so sure about the metal on the hammer.
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: Dr.Evil on August 06, 2007, 03:36:51 PM
Very well done there, i like this sculpt better than the other one.

Quote from: gi6ers on August 06, 2007, 03:13:51 PM
good stuff, the gold is very effective, not so sure about the metal on the hammer.

Think it needs a bit more highlighting.
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: Custom_Hobby on August 06, 2007, 10:36:21 PM
It makes the hammer look more like stone. I like her, and it is amazing how consistent they are.
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: Keeper on August 07, 2007, 05:21:03 AM
Great :)  At least as good as number one, if not a little better for me :D

Is that the Alternative Armies symbol on her sheild, or just a co-incidence?
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on August 07, 2007, 02:05:12 PM
Quote from: keeper40k on August 07, 2007, 05:21:03 AM
Is that the Alternative Armies symbol on her sheild, or just a co-incidence?

I don't think so. Reaper put Tyr's rune all over their Warlord dwarfs (shields, shoulder plates, helmets etc, even some knee and elbow plates too).
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: Inso on August 13, 2007, 02:24:23 PM
Nicely painted but although the gold looks great, I don't think the other metals look at all like metal (just highlighted grey).  The rest is nice but I would personally go with brighter metals.
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: Custom_Hobby on August 13, 2007, 03:08:36 PM
How did you make the gold look so good?
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: dargrin on August 13, 2007, 07:26:29 PM
Quote from: Inso on August 13, 2007, 02:24:23 PM
Nicely painted but although the gold looks great, I don't think the other metals look at all like metal (just highlighted grey).  The rest is nice but I would personally go with brighter metals.

This is something I have been working on.  I admit whole hardedly that it needs work.  Do you happen to do NMM?  If so what colors do you use?

Edit: Removed double post :icon_wink:

Quote from: Custom_Hobby on August 13, 2007, 03:08:36 PM
How did you make the gold look so good?

Thanks.

I have been messing around a bit with this.  I don't have the bottles in front of me because I left them at work.  (Had to leave in a rush)  But this GNMM is something I accedently stubbled on a while back.  All of them are done with Reaper Master series paints.
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: Dr.Evil on August 13, 2007, 07:55:05 PM
I have had people saying my NMM is good but I don't paint NMM.  :icon_scratch:

I'm still sorting out my metals and once I'm happy with them then i will give NMM a go.  :icon_wink:
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: Inso on August 14, 2007, 05:25:15 AM
Sorry Dargrin, I'm nowhere near NMM level painting so I wouldn't know where to begin trying to impart expert advice  :icon_scratch:.

I have always been a 'good tabletop' standard painter and that's where I'll stay (I paint armies not masterpieces  :icon_wink:).

I know that there are plenty of guides out there (there may even be one on the Forum of Doom).
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: dargrin on August 14, 2007, 01:19:31 PM
Just because I like beating a dead horse, this is the look I was shooting for but it didn't work out that way

(http://gamesday.us.games-workshop.com/GamesDay2007/lacoverage/goldendemons/cat1/1_gold.jpg)
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: Inso on August 18, 2007, 05:11:48 AM
The blade on that marine is nicely done but I don't think the armour or the 'gold' trim look like NMM. 

I have seen MUCH better examples before (the best being a Juggernaut of Khorne on Bolter and Chainsword...it won a Slayer Sword as well and would have wiped the floor with this marine).

It goes to show that a lot of NMM is purely subjective.  I reckon there are people who would look at that marine and say that it looked metallic...I wouldn't  :icon_wink:.
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: Inso on August 18, 2007, 07:26:52 AM
I have only gone and found it!

The guy's name is Boltman and here is a link to his juggernaut of Khorne:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=71875&hl=

It is the 8th post down and is a perfect example of how contrast REALLY brings out the NMM.

If you have a look at all his posts (by using the search option) it would appear that he is happy to pass on his NMM technique...he may be worth a look?
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: Custom_Hobby on August 18, 2007, 10:58:28 AM
I am with Steve on this one. The one he just found is amazing though
Title: Re: Shieldmaiden 2 of 3
Post by: geronimo on August 18, 2007, 11:06:52 AM
Quote from: Inso on August 18, 2007, 07:26:52 AM
I have only gone and found it!

The guy's name is Boltman and here is a link to his juggernaut of Khorne:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=71875&hl=

It is the 8th post down and is a perfect example of how contrast REALLY brings out the NMM.

If you have a look at all his posts (by using the search option) it would appear that he is happy to pass on his NMM technique...he may be worth a look?

That's the first pic I ever saw of a NMM mini, about 18months ago, and it's partly what got me thinking about getting back into painting and converting minis again. Not a fan of NMM as a rule, but that model is awesome. Quite cartoony - as all NMM is, kinda by definition - but it really looks the part.

In agreement with everyone else re the Space Marine, though....that's exactly the kind of NMM paintwork that makes me think I'll stick of realm metallics, thanks  :icon_ermm: