Custom Hobby Forum

• October 27, 2021, 07:45:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Author Topic: Painting the Autumnblade  (Read 2523 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
Painting the Autumnblade
« on: August 13, 2007, 06:09:10 PM »

Well I finaly got fed up of trying to improve/finish my convertion and so I just started painting her. The photo's didn't come out too well (they never do :p) but these are the best 6 of 17 so they could be a lot worse. Given the colours I'm thinking of doing her talons (nails) red, black or purple, it'd be a very dark red or a very dark purple. I'm sort of proud of the hair but it didn't come out right. I was aiming for something like this colour but a little bit warmer and with less extreme pale highlights. It started as dark flesh and then I added in that lighter brown that's almost the same colour as snakebite leather, but reddish instead of yellowy, and then I added in a bit of orange to that mix for the final highlights before inking it down with chestnut ink. The end result looks good but not very close to what I was aiming for (I was aiming for a light orangey brown natural colour and instead it looks like dark brown dyed a bright orangey brown :().

The green cloth is only blocked in for now, only the hair and skin are finished (although I'm thinking of adding black, white, or silver beads to the ends of her dreads). I've already touched up that dark spot on her forehead and I might retouch the skin a bit anyway. As usual, lighting conditions in my garrett are not particularly good so I took some with the blind down (closer to the real colours) and then lifted the blind and let the sun shine in and distort all the colours with it's mono-directional glare (helps illustrate the hair's colour a bit although the highlights aren't really that extreme - the camera just really likes to crank up the contrast :(). I'm also going to darken and reduce her eyebrows (they were originaly pure dark flesh and actualy looked pretty neat that way).

Medved

• man with the fluffy skates
  • Global Moderator
  • Young Adult Dragon
  • look at my fluffy skates!
Re: Painting the Autumnblade
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 06:40:22 PM »

i'd lose the eyebrows as they make her look a bit odd. maybe a very thin glaze of red would warm up the flesh a bit  (like a 1:20 mix of paint to water)

a good tip for delicate faces is to match the eyeshadow to the lip colour and the gibe a light glaze with ethe flesh colour to stop it being too strong.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 06:52:29 PM »

I just do less highlighting on the eyelids and let the darker colours show through. I haven't touched the lips yet (and if I'd left the eyebrows how they'd been the first time I did them they'd be a lot slimmer and really quite good but I kept highlighting them to make them match the hair :().

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 04:27:07 AM »

looking good mate but is that left hand of hers a little on the large side?  She could pick herself up  :icon_w00t:  Think the colour cheme so far works well and you'll do a fine job  :icon_wink:

Dr.Evil

• Time to take over the world!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Dragon
  • Ever watchful
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 08:23:02 AM »

looking good mate but is that left hand of hers a little on the large side?  She could pick herself up  :icon_w00t: 

I think it's the thick fingers and the hairy palm that are making it look big as it's ok from the back and that's the sculpts fault not the  :artist:.
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 11:54:09 AM »

looking good mate but is that left hand of hers a little on the large side?  She could pick herself up  :icon_w00t:  Think the colour cheme so far works well and you'll do a fine job  :icon_wink:

Yes, it's big but I can't help that. That's the nature of the sculpt (although camera angles might've had something to do with it too).

Also she has very long fingernails (almost half a finger long). They're currently painted flesh coloured because I haven't decided what colours to do them yet. When I've coloured them the fingers won't look so long.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 01:13:25 PM »

I was going to ask about those fingers. Do the nails a color that will contrast the rest of the painting.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 02:08:05 PM »

If you look closely at the third photo you should see where the nails go under the skin. I still think the fingers on her left hand are a bit big too 'though. I think purple or red would be best but black might be cool too. The dangly crystal bits will be a light bluey greyish colour and I haven't decided for a colour for the inner dress but the cloak will be shades of green.

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 02:51:40 PM »

Also she has very long fingernails (almost half a finger long). They're currently painted flesh coloured because I haven't decided what colours to do them yet. When I've coloured them the fingers won't look so long.

aha that would explain it  :icon_w00t:  Either a lighter green than the cloak for the nails or the red I reckon.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 04:15:28 PM »

Black or purple would be good but I think they'd blend into the dark sword hilt. Red would stand out more on her right hand.