Custom Hobby Forum

• September 24, 2022, 03:33:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your friendly happy Custom Hobby Forum moderators are working tirelessly to keep our community free of inane and useless rabble.  Please stand by while we adjust settings to keep things friendly for our loyal contributors while preventing spam from littering our little corner of the Internet.  Thank you!  -- The Custom Hobby team

Author Topic: The burning wheel.  (Read 1502 times)

Bodhi

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
The burning wheel.
« on: August 11, 2007, 06:58:31 AM »

Just impulse bought a new set of generic fantasy roleplaying rules on recommendation - The Burning Wheel. Aparently it's rather new. Anybody heard of it? What did you think?
I'll make a review once I've read them. So far they seem rather good. Use a dicepool system (d6) for just about everything which probably should make it easy to convert the rules for miniaturegaming.
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

geronimo

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
    • Fenris Games
Re: The burning wheel.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 11:35:33 AM »

The name rings a bell from somewhere in my sub-brain but beyond that I don't know anything about this one. I've always had a soft spot for generic systems, though - keep us posted as to what it's like !
Fenris Games
Too many ideas....way too little time...

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:31:45 AM »

So do you like the rules Alf?

Bodhi

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 03:16:48 PM »

Haven't read through all of them but from what I have:
It's not good for converting to wargaming but probably one of the most rewarding systems for ACTING in roleplaying that I've seen. It is very open ended leaving a lot of room for improvisation and dialogue between GM and players while at the same time having rules enough to avoid total confusion  :icon_wink:
It has loads of rules covering how you force the players to act in character in order to get any experience points.. at all.
One of the special features is a voting at the end of each gaming session where the players award each other points for "best in character play" and stuff like that.
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

Fabian

• Chief of the Oak Priests
  • Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
    • My Cheddarmongers gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 07:06:20 AM »

I have indeed heard of it, and it sounds very fun - I've looked at lots of indie games over the last year. One in particular has been a big influence on Playthings.

I just bought one called City of Birds, which from a design perspective is fascinating, and if you're looking for acting... it's almost like improv theatre meets storytelling. I might see if it would work in a forum.
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?