Custom Hobby Forum

• November 22, 2017, 05:02:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your friendly happy Custom Hobby Forum moderators are working tirelessly to keep our community free of inane and useless rabble.  Please stand by while we adjust settings to keep things friendly for our loyal contributors while preventing spam from littering our little corner of the Internet.  Thank you!  -- The Custom Hobby team

Author Topic: Prepare to enter Deathtrap Dungeon  (Read 101734 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
Re: Prepare to enter Deathtrap Dungeon
« Reply #855 on: June 10, 2009, 12:15:13 PM »

Using the troll's large axe as a somewhat unreliable pulley, Rhana manages to raise Sarian up the shaft. He then assists her in elevating Dekion and Ellion to the upper level. Heading out of the room, and past the dead hounds, the group rounds a corner and finds Throm standing with his back to them, arms folding as he stares somewhat stolidly at a large wall that blocks the corridor. Above him the ceiling rises at an angle. The wall itself is around fourty feet high and it would be possible for a man clambering to the top to climb over and down the other side with ease. From the other sound of the wall a terryfying roar echoes throughout the cavern up ahead.

Throm turns and somewhat sheepishly asks "did anyone bring a rope?" Then, putting a bolder face on the situation he adds "the beast has caught my scent and what manner of man would I be, trapped here, denied the chance to engage in glorious battle? By the spiritis of my ancestors,if you value your honour provide me with rope mthat we may ascened and defeat this beast!"

Then turning to the wall he roars back at the beast beyond, arms spread wide, back arching as he aches to do battle.

And to think he threw his own rope down at you to prove he couldn't be persuaded to lower it down :P.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #856 on: June 11, 2009, 06:09:25 AM »

"Maybe we'll help you.  Let's see what is over that wall, first!"

With that (and assuming her Spider Climb is still active, Rhana scoots up the wall to have a peek over and see what is beyond.
:hal:   

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #857 on: June 15, 2009, 10:04:44 AM »

Not to be out-done, Ellion readies his Mace for battle...

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #858 on: June 19, 2009, 10:26:06 AM »

Atop the wall Rhana looks down and gasps, almost losing her balance. The cavern beyond is roughly circular, surrounded by the vast wall. Thrashing around on the sand covered pit floor is a creature the like of which she never has seen. Large and scaley, this beast stomps and bellows, teeth the size of daggers, nay, some the size of small swords, and an armoured hide to turn any blade whilst it's sheer bulk alone would be enough to crush any unfortunate enough to be in it's way. Surely this creature is of no natural origin. How Baron Sukumvit managed to obtain such a vile beast is beyond reason. There must be some sorcery involved.

While Rhana perches, heart in her mouth, atop the wall, and Throm boils with frustration below, the pit fiend awaits it's next meal.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #859 on: June 21, 2009, 04:28:50 AM »

Is there an exit to the arena, Balgin? I'm not doing anything to fight it if it is in a dead-end.

Also, would someone be able to move around the top wall of the arena?  The picture seems to indicate you could spider-climb around the top wooden pallisade on the outside without being seen.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #860 on: June 21, 2009, 09:24:48 AM »

Is there an exit to the arena, Balgin? I'm not doing anything to fight it if it is in a dead-end.

You see that door in the far wall in the picture? That's there. And I think there's a lock on it too. The wall reaches the ceiling on the far side so you can't just walk around and climb down.

Also a slight mistake, the wall's not 40' high. The ceiling's 40' high in the middle so the walls lower. Probably 25-30' tall. So walking around might run the risk of being plucked from the wall by vast jaws and chomped on a lot. The pit fiend is not hyper perceptive so it's not likely to see people but it might smell them.

I believe the party has picked up a useful item that might help them out here but I'm not entirely sure. I'll be posting a clue later once I've checked if someone's got it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:27:39 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #861 on: June 22, 2009, 07:29:49 AM »

Thanks Balgin

Rhana climbs back down the wall and describes what she has seen as best she can to the others, including the giant carnivore, the pit and the only exit.  She also sets out the plan she has.

This involves going and getting the carcasses of the dogs that Throm slew, as well as bits of the Troll, perhaps.  Then casting spider climb on anyone prepared to accept it, or anyone else can mess about with a rope to get over the wall.  The first person up (with everyone else close behind) throws the meat as far away from the door as possible to distract the carnivore whilst everyone else makes a run for the door.  The door looks locked, so either a mighty blow from Throm or someone with a skill in picking locks will be needed.  Perhaps one of Rhana's Lighning Bolts if nothing else, although we might need all the offense we can to keep the monster at bay until the door is open.

Good plan? Bad plan? Opinions anyone?

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #862 on: July 15, 2009, 09:55:45 AM »

Alas the fair elf maid, Merenwe, has breathed her last. Her possessions include 2 throwing daggers and a rucksack containing a four inch high ivory bone charm shaped like a monkey, a small silver mirror, some unleavened bread and a note bearing the following message:

Important: find gems that unlock door to exit. 1st -, 2nd -, 3rd Diamond.

The creature in the pit eats bone. Charming.

Everyone regains 2 luck points for discovering this note.

Apparently that's a really relevant clue at the moment.

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #863 on: July 22, 2009, 05:27:45 PM »

Ellion whispers to the others;

"That bone charm - what's it do? Anyone know? Might be useful to distract the big teeth." :)

Cheers
Paul H