Custom Hobby Forum

• November 30, 2020, 02:23:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Author Topic: The Notepad  (Read 11482 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
The Notepad
« on: July 03, 2007, 01:23:13 AM »

Okay, all the characters are near the top of the path. The distances shown on the diagram are height, not horizontal distance.

Walking at half speed will make for an 8 round descent. A balance check at dc 5 is required every 10'.

Walking at full speed is a 4 round descent but requires a dc 10 balance check every 20'.

Walking safely down the path with no skill checks will require 16 rounds.

"Does anyone have a Cure potion?" Kiaphas bellows urgently. "Ivor, do you have a familiar - or some spell that can help? We've got to get a potion to that woman! I can tell Squall to fly down with one, but the woman would need administer it herself."

That takes about fourteen seconds to read at speaking speed (that's urgent desparate speaking/shouting speed).

"Give me the potion!"

4 seconds (plus a bit of time standing around).

"Get one of these to her as quickly as you can - it should stop her bleeding out long enough for me to get down and heal her!"

7 or 8 seconds.

"Um... if it would help, I've been working on something to ease one's passage upon surfaces on an incline greater than that normally possible. Basically, it involves, well, I don't suppose now is the best time to explain the detailed methods behind it."

13 seconds but I'll reduce that a bit because he babbles. However he does spend some time rummaging around before speaking a few words more.

That comes to at least 38 seconds, plus a few for people to listen to each other (although Ivor could quite possibly be speaking at the same time as other characters and they could also be ignoring him so we can ignore his time as others will probably already be doing stuff).

So....

Rounds 1 & 2, Kiaphas suggests the flying idea.
Sometime around round 2 or 3 Raoul begins his descent.
Round 4, Aurum demands a potion and Rogan gives him one.
Raoul continues his descent (hopefuly).
Kiaphas calls for his eagle and Alarian or Rogan gives him one.
Round 5, Aurum leaps from the path and plummets to the beach below, taking 21 falling damage (but 4 of that is subdual).
Raoul continues his descent.
The eagle is given a potion and flies out to begin it's descent. I'm going to assume that it takes two or three rounds to land since it's not diving upon prey or anything so it may need to spiral & stuff.
Round 6, Aurum is stunend (clobbered, single action only) so he probably stands up, or lies there groaning.
Raoul continues his descent, possibly arriving at the bottom (maybe even jumping the last 10').

Right, that's enough to start with, now let's do some dice.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 01:35:28 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
Re: The Notepad
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 01:36:42 AM »

Sounds good so far....

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:37:22 AM »

Sounds good so far....

The reason this isn't a sticky is that it's hopefuly only a temporary post.

So, Raoul's descent. Oh heck, he doesn't even have ranks in balance. So, plus two then.

Maybe he's going slower after all. I think I'll need to wait for player input here before making such a big decision for him as he could easily suffer the kind of damage Aurum took if he sets out at a normal speed.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 01:39:45 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 01:38:54 AM »

Might as well save it since there might be other moments like this. It was a good idea.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 04:43:10 AM »

OK, so the +2 penalty would be negated by my +4(dex) and -2(armour check), which would mean I was rolling against 5 at half speed, meaning he couldn't really fall at all at half speed.

Since all of the others are ahead of Raul, he will sprint to the top of the trail, then go down the trail at half speed.
At 40 feet height, he'll speed up to a normal movement rate. (If he is still on the trail) He'll jump down the last 10 feet (+3 Jump / DC 15 {?}).

Raul might have a weakness for girls in distress, but he knows he'll not get there before everyone else, anyway, and he hasn't got any special skills to help her.

Will repeat this post in the Eastbeach thread, too.
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:02:45 AM »

OK, so the +2 penalty would be negated by my +4(dex) and -2(armour check), which would mean I was rolling against 5 at half speed, meaning he couldn't really fall at all at half speed.

Nope. The +2 is your +4 dex mod with the -2 armour check penalty taken away. I don't know where you think I'd pull a personal +2 bonus from for your +4 to then negate :p. Failure itself does not mean falling. Failing by enough, means falling :p.

So 3 rounds slow, 2 normal, and a jump.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 07:09:12 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 07:04:51 AM »

Okay, well I'll roll some dice and stuff and then starts adjusting the in game thread to tidy things up a bit. I'm a bit surprised that nobody reacted to the suicidal dive myself.

Raoul manages his three slow rounds. Then he loses his balance a bit on his first swift round, wobbles, but remains on the path. He then makes the next two rounds safely and can jump. (fails by 5) so he takes a bit of subdual damage (3 points).

Don't worry, after the wobble he got a natural 20.

That's 7 rounds so she gets 7 stabilisation rolls so far.

Ouch, so she's at -8hp now then.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 07:22:02 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 07:52:04 AM »

Aurum keeps doing weird stuff, even for a Dwarf.  Raul is getting used to that.

Nope. The +2 is your +4 dex mod with the -2 armour check penalty taken away. I don't know where you think I'd pull a personal +2 bonus from for your +4 to then negate :p. Failure itself does not mean falling. Failing by enough, means falling :p.

So 3 rounds slow, 2 normal, and a jump.

Right. Sorry.  Not enough coffee yet today.  I thought the +2 was add to the DC for not having the skill, but I just re-read the skill description properly, now.  Glad you're the GM, Balgin, you're more on the ball than me! :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 08:10:38 AM by keeper40k »

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 01:38:31 AM »

Aurum keeps doing weird stuff, even for a Dwarf.  Raul is getting used to that.

He is just heroic and really not the typical dwarf.

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 04:54:50 AM »

He is just heroic...

Some would say overconfident  :icon_wink:

Alex

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 05:41:37 AM »

Or foolish... ;)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 05:52:28 AM »

Some would say overconfident  :icon_wink:

I believe foolhardy is the word you're looking for (overconfident doesn't sound as cool and doesn't neccessarily mean the same thing, although there's a big overlap).

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 08:32:08 AM »

How about intrepid or perhaps undaunted. Unflinching or maybe spirited.  I thought of audacious, too, but it sounds too much like Bill and Ted.

That's, like, totally audacious, Aurum, dude ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 08:34:24 AM by keeper40k »

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 09:06:05 AM »

I am with Keeper

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 02:22:09 PM »

No, I'd stick with overconfident - let's face it, most situations like this he is going to be able to handle fairly easily, but one day he'll put too much faith in his abilities and that day won't be a pretty one.  :icon_neutral:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up