Custom Hobby Forum

• January 25, 2022, 12:12:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Author Topic: The 'ing Tank  (Read 4556 times)

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
Re: The 'ing Tank
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 04:34:05 PM »

I had similar problems with some Khador Warjacks... I filled the hollow center with putty then glued it...

Andres

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 02:16:09 PM »

Thanks to a lot of green stuff (and no glue) the two halves of the tank have stayed together for about half a week now :). I put the spare putty into the empty (almost zero surface contact) boiler that goes on the back and glues it on. It's stayed on for a few hours now and that's a good sign.

I also did the predictable thing (with the predictable result). According to "the rules" it's frontage is 50x100mm. When you put the wheels onto the ends of the axles it's already 55 pushing 60 mm. it'd be about 100mm long 'though.

Unfortunately the putty means that the two halves sit slightly further apart than they would've done if I'd somehow been able to glue it so now the holes for the gun on top and the harness shaft down beneath are a little bit too big and the pieces don't fit as snugly as they once did. The harness is a bloody awkward joint anyway (too much weight resting on two bad joints) so I might need to do something about that anyway.

I could start painting the main body whilst I decide stuff but I might need to putty up the bottom hole a bit and I haven't decided if it'll be the black & white colour scheme or the Brognir's Bronze steam fist colour scheme. A player was having serious problems telling the steam warriors from the regular Khor heavies so I mist paint all the steam stuff the same way as Brognir's big robot hand thing (which makes him a space marine imperial guard power fist sergeant nincompoop or something).

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 02:21:27 PM »

Do you have pics of the stuff you referenced? I don't know the game so I don't know what the paint schemes are like. If you take some pics of the tank maybe we can come up with suggestions to hep.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 02:30:48 PM »

Black and white colour scheme: the Khor warriors I've posted here (Hammergirls and the sword and shield pacman dwarfs).

Bronze colour scheme: Brognir's power fist (also posted here).

I don't like the "official colour schemes" where the dwarven heavy armour is all non metallic metal orange with silver details. The reason I haven't taken any pictures of the tank yet is that I'm giving it a few more days to not fall apart on me before trusting it enough to take a picture. Don't want to jinx it, know what I mean?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 02:39:38 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 02:52:22 PM »

Ok got the color schemes. I do know what you mean. I was going to ask why didn't you drill and pin it?

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 02:56:25 PM »

Ok got the color schemes. I do know what you mean. I was going to ask why didn't you drill and pin it?

It wasn't really drilling & pinning joints (surface areas were too small / too large and stuff like that).

Are we talking about the main body or the yoke here? The yoke's a two piece thing with the crossbeam/harness being a rediculously tiny joint that the main beam only barely touches (it covers half the joint) and the broad bit where it attaches to the bottom of the tank was a perfect fit before I had to use putty to make the two halves stick together.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 03:00:50 PM »

I was talking about the main body

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 03:11:44 PM »

I was talking about the main body

Very minimalistic surface areas with balls and sockets that had a lot of weight resting on them and didn't meet at all about a third of the way around so it needed gap filling anyway. That's why I used poutty. Since the surface contact areas for the boiler on the back were so tiny I packed the spare putty I scrud*ed off into the boiler and despite most of it being in the gap and not actualy touching the tank, the little bits that went near the sides seem to have made the contact areas large enough for glue to work (although I considered drilling pins into the back of the tank and stabbing them into the putty for an even firmer join).