Custom Hobby Forum

• January 25, 2022, 01:19:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Author Topic: The 'ing Tank  (Read 4557 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
The 'ing Tank
« on: June 10, 2007, 11:42:27 AM »

Okay, so a few days ago I got a box with lots of pieces in it:

So I took all these pieces out, and looked at them, and tried to work out if there were any bits missing (because all the writing on the box was in a foreign language and there were no lovely GW style exploded diagrams of how to put it together, just three different closeup photo's of the various parts an idiot could get wrong in constructing it).

Well, that wasn't much help so I went and looked at their website and counted eleven different bits listed as being in the box. So I counted all the things in my box and there were eleven different ones (with duplicates for the second boar etc) so I reckoned everything was there.

So I took it out the box and looked at it and lo, I was greatly disappointed in the quality of the casting. And so it came to pass that I did spend over fifty minutes with scalpel and clippers gouging away at the huge lumps of exess lead that obscured details, and verily did I carve such details back into place, and carve away mold lines too.

At the end of this time, I was not fully content with my shaping of the beast but didst I tire greatly of the task and set it aside for another day.

"Mending" and bodging aside, I picked bits up to see how well they fitted together. Cursing I removed more lumpy fuzzy lead from bwteen the joints and tried again. Here are some more pictures.

Behold the large gap runnin down the middle of what's supposed to be a solid strip holding the two sides together.

And once again, that same gap from the front.

And from beneath

Apparently (according to "the rules") the crew get in and climb out through the back of the machine.

Exuse me? They clamber through the engine to get in?! And there's no way their giant pumkin heads are supposed to fit through that tiny little hatch (also observe the bits of exess lead I haven't bothered cleaning away on the wooden shaft because it'd be too much work to then sculpt a new surfacr back onto it).

Okay, so in those pictures you can clearly see where I had to carve away huge chunks of stuff but it's done now (mostly) so sometime soon I'll restart work on this baby. I'll be periodicaly updating this thread from time to time.

As for size (as if my normal sized hands didn't give it away) the box is resting on a normal sized, upturned, bucket in the first photo.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 11:45:00 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
Re: The 'ing Tank
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 12:01:53 PM »

Sorry to hear they did such a bad job of casting it. It seems you need to be an accomplished modeller just to get it ready to paint.

Medved

• man with the fluffy skates
  • Global Moderator
  • Young Adult Dragon
  • look at my fluffy skates!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 04:01:37 PM »

as always the larger the kits the more moulding mishaps that take place (why heresy chops the demons into so many bits)

as far as i know rackham sculpt stuff in fimo (which does not vulcanise that well)  so often there is shrinkage and the moulds wear out fairly fast as there is lots of deatail on there.

the upside is that the alloy is a lot softer and thus easier to clean with a scalpel.  other companies seem to cast their minis out of steel (well it seems that way) and makes even the slightest warp or slip a problem.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 04:19:26 PM »

other companies seem to cast their minis out of steel (well it seems that way) and makes even the slightest warp or slip a problem.

Very thin steel that arrives all bent out of shape ('cause they just throw the misscasts in with the quality ones) with bent bits so thin they'll snap if you try to straighten them. Yes, I am thinking of the shamefuly low state of quality control on the LOTR line there :(. Lovely sculpts, terrible quality control.

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 04:55:26 PM »

I have been told you need different alloys or a higher casting temp for the large pieces...

and a warm mould helps.

Paintslave is right... big bits show more shinkage - all minis shrink. but the bigger they are the longer thaey atke to cool and the bigger the shrinkage.     

part of the problem is how the master was designed.

:icon_beer: :occasion14: :icon_beer: :twocents:

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 06:23:03 PM »

all minis shrink.

So that's their exuse for scale creep huh? Long term shrinkage? :p

Baldemyr

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 02:04:20 PM »

That looks bloody terrible-  and combine that with the price?  Jesus H C.

Im so sorry man-that completely sucks

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 02:13:37 PM »

Well after all the putty work Balgin should be a good sculptor :icon_wink: :icon_cool:

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 05:32:40 PM »

That looks bloody terrible-  and combine that with the price?  Jesus H C.

Im so sorry man-that completely sucks

Yeah, £35, and it's technicaly rumoured to have been discontinued too (which mean't I had to really search around for one).

It also needs a base. It comes with two bases for the boars nd the wheels rest on the ground. But since it's got a defined combat frontage I'd like to be able to put it on a pre-prepared base so people won't argue as to what fits in where and make me keep looking up the obscure rule. With a defined base they'll be able to know what fits right away (so long as it actualy fits on the base itself).

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 12:55:31 PM »

Do the rules give the size it should take up?

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 02:04:47 PM »

Do the rules give the size it should take up?

Nope. They give the "maximum number of bases allowed to gang up on it in combat" which is listed as a certain number on each side and another certain number (about half it) at the front and back.

It then tells you how many bases a big monster base counts as, etc.

From that (and their standard base sizes) you can blatantly work out what size base it needs to be on for people to be able to do it without constantly asking you.

But Rackham are daft, it's not warhammer where corner to corner is base to base contact because the bases are actualy touching. With them it has to be at least half a base edge in contact for it to count and then you have to line them up neatly even if their charge distance wasn't enough for them to swing in at the end like that so basicaly cheating for extra movement you didn't have.

And the distinction basicaly says 5cm by 10cm base. Well, it says you can have two 25 by 25 mm bases at each end and four along each side. So that's 5cm by 10cm.

Or 2" by 4" in real measurements (not made up french crud*).

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 10:39:10 AM »

Okay, so today I

painted the two halves of the main "body" of the tank black on the inside.

Then I glued them together.

Then they fell apart as soon as I touched them.

Then I glued them together again.

Then I glued the back bit on.

Then a few minutes later the back bit fell off.

Then it fell apart again.

:(

I reckon the lack of contact (really bad joints) plus the sheer weight of the pieces must be pulling it apart before the glue can even dry (it's not as if it's actualy together in the first place either :(). So it looks like this one, like playing the Rackham dwarfs, will be an exercise in frustration that'll pay off eventualy in the end (just like their distinctly undwarfy chaotic goblin playstyle :().

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 11:08:55 AM »

Did you pin the pieces?

Dr.Evil

• Time to take over the world!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Dragon
  • Ever watchful
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 02:43:23 PM »

Did you pin the pieces?

:yeahthat:

And if you have it then use Andy's Super glue activator to dry it faster.
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction

Medved

• man with the fluffy skates
  • Global Moderator
  • Young Adult Dragon
  • look at my fluffy skates!
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 05:19:56 PM »

or alternatively hack it to pieces with one of Andy's razor saws (if the frustration gets too much)