Custom Hobby Forum

• September 24, 2022, 02:47:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your friendly happy Custom Hobby Forum moderators are working tirelessly to keep our community free of inane and useless rabble.  Please stand by while we adjust settings to keep things friendly for our loyal contributors while preventing spam from littering our little corner of the Internet.  Thank you!  -- The Custom Hobby team

Author Topic: Confrontation, why is it so rubbish?  (Read 11987 times)

Baldemyr

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
Re: Confrontation: Why are the Dwarfs so rubbish?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 11:53:52 AM »

From an outsiders perspective it appears far worse then Warhammer Fantasy.  I demoed this last year at Gencon-but only a very small number of minis.  It seemed extremely random but since it was scirmish level i didnt have an issue.  Apparently it isnt skirmish level anymore.  Hmmm.

I wish you luck with your dorfs.  Stunties seem to get shafted in ever game system.

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 12:24:57 PM »

Here's my tentative list for next week:

Brognir & the hand of bronze (62)
Magnus the Mystical (68)
2 Steam Warriors (the new cool lookin ones) 64
3 Khor Warriors (shieldbearers) + Master Strike/2 72
3 Hammergirls + Masterstrike/2 72
3 Gunners 54

392 points.

What spells are you using with Magnus? I'm assuming "Petrification Alchymique", "Elixir de Sauvagerie", and one if not both Elemental Attacks...

Confrontation is very, very random... in fact I prefer not to play it without a scenario, if the objective is to kill your opponent it all degrades in who rolls best, cause there are no tactics you can pull when your opponent has a sacred blade and automatically kills you with the doubles.

If you are against Lions again... shoot at them :P
Against Wolfen or Devourers... cannons an blunderbuss
Alchemists... steam for Fear bonus
Mid Nor... they are even more screwed than you... try with lots of models or he will mob you...

What armies your usual opponents play?

Andres

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 02:25:35 PM »

Well the usual guy normaly plays Lions but he has undead and elves as well. His father wants to play Drunes but he's only got the big demons and minotaurs (our local traders never get any Drune infantry in for him). We've got one guy with a handful of Wolfen, another who may be interested in starting a small orcish force and one who wants to start a Celtic force but hasn't got round to it yet.

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 03:13:44 PM »

Well against undead a combination of shooting and steam-fear is your friend to avoid being terrorized... killing the characters is a must... against elves you'll probably will outnumber him, so mob him up... Never played against drunes, the orcs are not that hard and the Keltois have too many troops, but your fear will help.

The Lions are Rackham favourite child so shoot them from safe distance or a least soften them up.

Andres

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 06:49:42 PM »

What spells are you using with Magnus?

The ones that come with him. I suspect Khor Cataliser and Elixir of Savagery are the only two I'll cast more than once in my first game.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 04:41:41 PM »

I won! I won! It took about four hours (as opposed to the usual 40 minute game) but having hard boiled and armour values higher than seven allowed me to finaly have an unwounded Khor warrior and two gunners ganging up on some obscene seventy something point knight with his armour rating of thirteen and a protection spell on him. In the end the wizard (my only other surviving model) had to go in and help out (using his double strength +1 sword) and finaly he got the killing blow in (although it took 4 or 5 turns with the kngith constantly regenerating and slowly starting to wound Bob the Khor Warrior "can he fight it...").

Yeah, so he was able to kill me much faster than I was able to kill him (because defence and armour ratings aren't worth much in this game) but I was able to only slightly outlast him this time......

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 12:54:36 AM »

Congratulations!!!!

Hope that helps to have some faith in the future of the Dwarfs!

Andres

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 01:02:05 AM »

Congratulations!!!!

Hope that helps to have some faith in the future of the Dwarfs!

Andres

Not really, if I hadn't rolled such bad dice it wouldn't have been so one sided against me (my inability to roll over a 2 for location really ruins this game for me).

Can you please look for that nonexistant cavalry rule? If it really does exist and they really do have it then they'll suddenly be worth their points.

I really don't like the steam boosting system 'though with it's backwards broken boosting system.

The best way to describe it is this: the guy with the rocket launcher has three different types of ammo. So he loads it, fires it at you, watches the rocket trail all the way across the sky and waits untill it hits then he magicaly goes back in time and decides which kind of ammo he loaded.

That's just bollocks. You should make the strength steam rolls before making the attack rolls (especialy for ranged attacks). The same goes for spells. You get to spend 4 power casting the spell and then afterwards decide how much extra you wanted to use to boost the effect :(. That's just wrong. You should obviously pour all the power in first then enjoy the result (not the other way round) because when you do something you don't get to cheat life and decide how much effort you expended afterwards.

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 01:33:30 AM »

I'll look for the rule... but it sounds to me that has something to do with the Thermopriest on Boar...

BTW you do roll steam before for ranged attacks and after for melee strikes... unless I'm missing something with the rules change...

Andres

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007, 02:09:21 AM »

Look in the dwarven army analysis thread on the Rackham forum. That's the only place I've ever been able to find it ("this unit is good because they've got this special rule which...." only they haven't).

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 06:13:43 AM »

Well I got to play Confrontation last night and it was an exorcise in frustration. On turn two three of my boilers malfunctioned on their first roll. The first one blew up, the second one couldn't be used untill the next turn, and the third one couldn't be used for the rest of the game (and it was on a character too).

On the third turn the one that had malfunctioned but was still usable, broke for the rest of the game (same result as the third).

I then got to sped four hours watching my opponent kill my army really slowly while they basicaly stood around and watched. When he'd got me down to my last few models I told him not to bother.

It really was just crud*. You wouldn't believe so many different dice could roll ones consistantly for four hours straight. The only difference was that his ones were all on attack rolls and he displayed a remarkable inability to roll below a 4 for damage on a regularb basis whilst my ones were all for defence and damage rolls so I could never do anything over a light wound. Ever. Again.

Surely there's got to be a way to make this game less crud* like pointing out to the makers that, on a scale of one to six, a three point difference is fudge*ing rediculous and a on epoint difference really is huge. And yet still it's always three or four point difference between everything.

If they want an army to be that crud* why did they even bother putting them in the game? It's like the token dwarf models but they have to be rubbish* because Rackham hates every model smaller than human sized.

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 09:29:59 AM »

I feel your pain.

My dice rolls are horrible... so I'm pretty sure no matter what army I play I'll be screwed anyway... if you can kill me with a double six that's probably what will happen even if you are a 4 point skeleton  :shrug:

As I stated I play Confrontation 'cause the guys that play it are my friends... but the system is awful and I have a hard time recommend it to anyone... specially after playing lots of other games.

As an stupid example my army for 40K is designed with my bad rollings in mind so the idea is that I roll enough dice to cheat fate :P wth a full infantry Space Marine Force :P

Andres

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 11:13:43 AM »

I feel your pain.

The thing is, it shouldn't be so biased. A single light wound should not spell destructio for the rest of your force but that's the way they want the game to be played. I'm feeling a strong urge to make some sort of joke about how this view of warfare could be clearly based on the French's military history (during which they apparently displayed an incredibly ability to loose battles very often) but can't think of anything witty enough.

And they really need to sort those ugly pumpkin headed sculpts out!

Both myself and another local dwarf player have taken to calling them "the pumpkin heads" for the obvious reason.

It's just really badly balanced because a one point difference is huge on a scale of one to six and in confrtation you never get one point differences (you get 3 or 4 points instead which makes it almost not worth rolling).

So I ask again, why are this company still in business when they're obviously so crud*?!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 11:15:47 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 12:06:46 PM »

I believe I'm having a similar discussion on a spanish forum :P

The system is bad, over complicated and too random. Instead of blaming their military abilities, I blame the complicated and odd ways they do maths, and about everything...

Andres

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 12:09:57 PM »

Spanish? I thought Confrontation was french  :icon_w00t:.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up