Custom Hobby Forum

• January 25, 2022, 01:17:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: They're big, they're bad, they're gonna kick your bottom!  (Read 6129 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
They're big, they're bad, they're gonna kick your bottom!
« on: April 15, 2007, 04:43:58 PM »

Okay, so as some of you may be aware, I aquired the Rackham dwarf wimmin recently and fark me but they're huge! I took a photo to demonstrate. Some of you may know that I consider Werner's dwarfs to be a bit on the large side (why, they're about the same size as 25mm humans but they look good) and these Rackham girlies are even larger! To prove my point here's a picture of two standing side by side (Klocke Wurk on the left and Rackham "do you want fries with that" goin' it large meal).

Now as you can see, I've already started painting them, so, since I couldn't decide what colour to do their armour (they barely have clothing) I thought I'd be generous and show you all some preview pic's.

First off we have the FaceGirl. I call her Face Girl because she obviously hates her face so much that she actualy goes to the great length of always wearing a massive gourget (this makes eating anything other than soup incredibly difficult). Originaly I'd considered her to be the ugliest of the group but the more I painted her, the more I began to prefer her over the other two.

I started painting her first because she had the least exposed flesh. I was using the same skin mix on all three of them and I decided to do the one with the smallest skin areas first in case I didn't like the result and had to remix a stage or something.
So anyway, as I said, as I've worked on her face I've developed a sort of fondness for it. She may be the ugliest but her disfigurements are sort of "cute" and less grotesque than the other two (I just got fed up of looking at their rediculous sticking out lower lips okay). However, I'm not entirely happy with her face. Some of my later highlight stages seem to have filled in the creases at the corners of her eyes a bit as these three photo's demonstrate.

You'll also observe that I've got some skin colour in the top of her left eye as I was painting her eyebrow ridges. I've tried to fix this a little bit since taking the photo's and, whilst not really achieving much, managed to not get any blue or black on her skin.

Next up is the one I'm calling Gimp Mask Fetish Girl (for the obvious reason that her helmet really looks dodgey, and the snarling furious look on her face, coupled with the fact that she's the only one swinging back her great hammer for a heavy duty kneecapping would indicate that she's the most violent one who's keeping a lot of anger repressed with that fetish hood (maybe she's got "issues")).

Now whilst pinup girl (we'll get to her in a bit) was clearly the one they wanted everyone to like, I've staretd to think of Gimp Mask Fetish Girl as the possible leader of the group (although FaceGirl might seem more authoritative). She's just got that leading the charge look. I didn't really take any photo's of her from behind as there's not much to see there (mostly armour).

She's got a really great face which you can't see that well in those pics so I had to pick her up to take a better one.

Now finaly we come to Shoulder Girl (alternatively known as Pinup Girl). Now Shoulder Girl is unique amongst this ugly little trio in that she's the only one the Rackham studio painters seem to have bothered to paint. When you check their preview picture of the blister pack she's fully painted and the other two have simply been undercoated grey to look like resin or something. That's why she could be called pinup girl (because she's the one they want you to like). I call her Shoulder Girl because she's resting her hammer on her shoulder.

I had originaly liked her the most but then I got fed up of the rediculously exagerated lower lip (and no chin) and now she's my least favourite of the three (at least Gimp Mask Fetish Girl has character, of a sort, Shoulder Girl just seems a bit empty and vacant).

I'm also disappointed with her in that I seem to have lost some shading to the right of her mouth (on her left cheek).

I also think I got her left eye wrong so I might have to completely redo it.

Anyway, any comments'd be great (even if they are just "farkinell man but she's heyowge next ter that tinee littul bloake man" or something like that).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:50:07 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
Re: They're big, they're bad, they're gonna kick your bottom!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 05:01:52 PM »

fandabidosey paint jobs...

they would be dwarfed by the polish dwarfs

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 05:07:48 PM »

fandabidosey paint jobs...

they would be dwarfed by the polish dwarfs

Actualy they're about one and a half millimetres taller! And I'm not counting the topknots when I tell you that!!

If anyone wants to know the seven layers I used to make their skin colour then I'll gladly share it (it was the same as my current 5 layer skin favourite with an extra two halfway layers mixed in between the top three layers to soften the transitions up a bit).

That's one and a half before the mighty polish invaders (sorry, immigrants :p) clamber up onto an equal sized base and stand taller still.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 05:10:59 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 05:10:47 PM »

so they are 40mm dwarfs then?  :icon_wink:

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 10:32:42 PM »

Good luck with them Balgin. I am not a fan of these...and I usually like most dwarves.

Fabian

• Chief of the Oak Priests
  • Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
    • My Cheddarmongers gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 03:44:56 AM »

The first pic is hilarious "Bleedin' ada, who the 'ell d'ya think yoo are, lass?"

Great work on the eyes, really brings out their expressions.
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?

cheddarmonger

• I Smell of Cheese
  • Administrator
  • Mature Adult dragon
  • It looked like a mouse hole to me?
    • Cheddarmongers
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 06:10:55 AM »

These faces are lovingly crafted, I think this is your best work!  The miniatures are wacky, I'm still undecided on whether I like the sculpts, but your paint jobs are coming along great.

Yes, I'd love to see your skin recipe; want to contribute in the skin recipe thread in tutorials?  http://www.customhobby.com/forum/index.php?topic=392.0
Nevermind me, I have a cruddy banner, so please click HERE for Cheddarmongers!

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 06:35:55 AM »

Good luck with them Balgin. I am not a fan of these...and I usually like most dwarves.

Yeah, well some of the local gamers have been teasing me because I don't play Confrontation (with it's crud* mini's) so I've decided to step up to the challenge and assemble a small force. All the units seem to be 20-40 points whereas characters are in the 140-210 range! It's overpowered silly cartoony Warhammer 5th ed characters all over again :(.

These faces are lovingly crafted, I think this is your best work!  The miniatures are wacky, I'm still undecided on whether I like the sculpts, but your paint jobs are coming along great.

I think Gimmask Fetish Girl and Face Girl are an interesting example of how your appreciation of a mini can change once you see paint on it.

Yes, I'd love to see your skin recipe; want to contribute in the skin recipe thread in tutorials?  http://www.customhobby.com/forum/index.php?topic=392.0

I almost added three skin recipes to that thread yesterday but I forgot the first one and decided to look it up and then add all three.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:38:17 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 10:25:41 AM »

FaceGirl's nearly finished. I've noticed that all the Rackham preview pictures have always had the base painted black, is that this famous French painting style I keep hearing of?

Anyway, I've gone for a nice dark dingey metallic look (with some colourful details) but I think she needs a little bit more colour. I'll see about getting some pictures up in a week or so but basicaly the only thing I can think of to improve her (other than giving her a decent resin base or something) is to paint the little Ares sign ram's horns on her knee pads a dark ruddy orange (not bright orange, dark orange). They're currently mithril silver (on a two parts chaos black to one part boltgun metal background which has been inked with black ink and given a few small boltgun and chainmail highlights).

Most of the raised details on the armour are brighter (chainmail verging on te mithril in a few places) with the main and/or recessed plates being left quite dark. The stylised horns on her shoulder plate have been painted like  astylised painting of bone colour but with a good attempt at realism too (hopefuly people won't assume it's an actual U shaped horn or anything) and the gem on her other shoulder plate is a nice light blue. Her little floor dragging dust collector/loincloth thing is a lovely shade of purple :).

So I think the orange knees near it would offset it nicely and compliment the purple beautifuly.

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 10:52:26 AM »

As a Tir-Na-Bor player I strongly recommend the Forge Guardians for 14 points, the Thermo Warriors (for 39, I believe), the dwarfs with blunderbuss for around 18...

I like steam-powered dwarfs... so I use Lothan as character for 107 points... and if you are playing in tournaments or something don't leave without a cannon (or two  :icon_twisted: ) and a Son of Uren (even if the model is bad)

To be totally honest I really don't liked the Confrontation stuff, but the guys that play it are great so they convinced me to do an army... playing it it's terrible for me... I'm the player with the traitorous dice, and dice rolling is very important in this game... specially if your dwarves explode with two ones in a row...

Andres

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 11:03:28 AM »

I want these but they've only been released in France so I need to wait :(. They look so much better than the crud*py bent sword ones!

My basic "trying to be celtic" dwarfs "with giant ugly goblin heads and no moustaches so they look like extra's from Planet of the Apes" wishlist (yes, all those 'tashes are getting greenstuffed back on) something like this:

The new Steam Warriors.
The steam jump pack guys (who can double as a bloodbowl team)
The Sword and Shield warriors (2, not the crud*py two handed swords ones, and those mouths might need some converting as well as just 'tashes added - how cartroony are those gobs of theirs?) Possibly two unis of them.
The armourers ('cause one of them looks seriously cool).
The blunderbus wielders ('cause they actualy almost looks like dwarfs - I would've chosen the crossbow wielders but they looked crud*).
Bombadier 1 (the models have character, the second one looks rubbish).
Khor knights of Uren ('vcause, like all the heavies, they don't look like stupid tusked goblins like all those bloody "of the plains" models).
Thermo-Warriors of Uren (padding, they don't look as crud* as the stupid sword ones and the morningstars almost look cool).
Maybe a few "boors" as padding (some of the less crud* looking ones - basicaly the little ones with shields).
Unfortunately the only characters who don't look crud* all seem to be 150 points or more (all the cheap ones have stupid huge trollslayer punk rubbish* and are 'ing naked).

A tentative list looks like this:

Wimmin 63
Gunners 117
Warriors 2 180
Magnus the Mystical 248
Armourers 302

Any suggestions on tweaking that? (That's a running total, not individual costs and I've thankfuly been told that the cost on the card is per model so now the characters don't seem so obscenely overpointed as before).

That's basicaly 12 models for just over 300 points (and the armourers are just there to look cool and hopefuly the crud*py one dies first).

COnfrontation: do players get all bolshy if you've mounted the model on a different base (same size, but let's say I walk down the road to Black Cat Bases and buy a load of 25mm fantasy stone paving slab square bases for my dwarfs, would that be acceptable since they're the same size base or do they want the crud*py black plain empty base that sticks out a mile away from the lovely scenery on the tabletop look?)

I think, just for a laugh, if I really fancy myself at freehand I might write the three girl's comedy names on the back edge of their bases.

Some of this post probably belongs in the gaming section. I'll try to separate it and move the relevant bits across sometime later if it looks like turning into a full scale conversation here.

This might prove tricky, 'cause it depends on what are they gaming there, but current tournament rules are for 400 points... and you need to spend a minimum of 80 points on a character... under 3.5 rules spells are for free, so they do not count to the character total.

My main issue with Confrontation is that if I don't include a big, mean beast, I might get crushed by my opponent's version of that... so, as you don't have a heavy hitter (choosing a magician you have two monsters you need to take care of, the character AND the monster)... so I'll include something that can cause some serious damage, like the Son of Uren again. If you include the Thermowarriors of Uren (that are only in french btw) it can be fun to include a Provost of Uren, with free spells, to allow those three to re roll on the steam table.

The blunderbuss guys are way better than the crossbow wielders... their weapon is a steam weapon so you can add an additional d6 to it's strength. The Bombardier hits with a strength of 20 if you are lucky, killing almost anything as long none of your dice is a one when you roll to damage. Maybe the Khor Warriors (at least 2) can do the work of a Son of Uren... and there is a character for the dwarves with the steam packs that is OK... not like Lothan, but OK. I suggest also that you might want to get the Brotherhood of Bronze if you are able to find it...

The boors have really bad stats, and are only 9-11 points... a Forge Guardian for 14 points can hit with strength 12, so that makes people nervous around them, so they do not ignore them when they move around...

Andres

Yeah, very Disciples/Disciples 2. Did anyone else notice how french that looked and how every race had to have abig giant monster for no reason whatsoever? It just seemd daft really (the "every army must have a big heavy giant/ogre/troll thing in it to be complete" thing).

So anyway, I do intend to take a photo of FaceGirl before doing anything to her kneepads, just not anytime soon (I must've uploaded pictures about 3 times in the last week) so maybe I'll take a photo but not share it for a while.

The guys in my area like playing 300 point Confrontation games but we mostly play Warmachine (and a few of us play Hordes a lot too).

choosing a magician

All the affordable warriors/non magicians looked crud*. The two I could accept were too expensive for a 300 point list (being Hir Khan and the big one in armour with the halberd and obscene stats - not my fault if he's about the only decent looking one they've done so far).

So Andres, do you have any comments on the actual paintwork I've shown in this thread so far? It's ncie to chat with you (pity I don't have a current photo of her). Also I'df still like to know if there's any basing conventions to consider (apart from it being the right size and shape). I hate having to carve the slot into those Rackham bases with a scalpel (and risking my fingers every time I do it) so that's one of the reasons I'm interested in alternate basing.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 04:23:06 PM by Wristaction »

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 04:35:26 PM »

I really like what you did with the eyes of Face girl... the official rules for tourneys say "official rackham bases" but they say nothing about what's going on up that base... I ussually stick stuff to the bases, remove the tag and put some pins... the good thing about dwarfs, you don't have to worry about broken knees...

what colour are you planning for the armour??

Andres

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 04:32:03 PM »

Okay then, here's some more pictures for you lucky lucky people :).

First off is Shoulder Girl. She hasn't really recieved much attention from me really but since this picture was taken I've base coated the left shoulder plate and a bit of her back armour too.

Next comes Gimp Mask Fetish Girl with her barely contained berserk fury.

Since the photo's were taken I've added highlights to the raised details on one of her shoulder plates and intend to finish off the rest of her armour sometime soon. I think I'd like to repaint the raised C bracket details above her eyes the same bone colour as the "horns" on the other girls' shoulder plates to maintain a sense of unit cohesion (and I think it'd play up her gimpy fetish look really well too :)). Should I do the two little ones above them bone coloured too? The "silver" highlights on the "hood" came out too bright so I might want to tone them down a bit (but the first time I inked it I had to rescue her right eye and don't want to go through that all over again).

I'm also considering doing her loincloth black (yeah, I know) or a vibrant red.

what colour are you planning for the armour??

Well you've had a taster with Fetish Girl but now you get the full blown frontal armour look!

FaceGirl! (Hiding nothing - exept her face......)

And from behind

Bone Shoulder detail

Fear the purple! She lieks purple. Just pray you don't get too near to that purple cloth or else you might see something you'll wish you'd forget.

And I took another one too.

Now see those little raised Ares ram's horns on the knee plates? I'm thinking of doing them orange (fading to red near the edges) becayse the further down you go, the darker she gets (less details to do bright silver) so I think she needs something bright and colourful down there. When the idea first came to me (before I'd even painted them silver) orange just seemd right. It's also the complimentary colour of purple so I might just give it a go.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 04:37:21 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 09:08:06 AM »

We are paying attention Balgin. The hammer head could use a dark wash.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 09:17:07 AM »

We are paying attention Balgin. The hammer head could use a dark wash.

I'm thinking that too (it's a bit too silver). I'm actualy considering washing the middle section of the hammer head and leaving the end striking surfaces bright (bashed bright from constant abbrasion). Maybe try and leave that central band bright too.

Any thoughts on the amazing technicolour knee-coats?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:18:38 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »