Custom Hobby Forum

• August 09, 2020, 08:35:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: Pig Iron Kolony  (Read 1560 times)

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
Pig Iron Kolony
« on: March 26, 2007, 04:51:46 PM »

I thought I'd try zenithal priming

Lots more to do, but thats it for the night ... Kolony wth Westwind bare US head (hence the short back and slap haircut)

Inso

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
  • Often misguided and misunderstood
    • Inso's Blog
Re: Pig Iron Kolony
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 02:30:23 AM »

So, how did zenithal priming work for you?  Did it help or did it not make much difference?

I see that you didn't go for fetish wear! (ON THE MINIATURES... :icon_w00t:).

The addition of the US head really changes the look of theses minis.  It does give a US look to it.

The colours work well but the green and brown could use another highlight to pick out a bit more detail (especially on the rifle).  It is a great start on a rather cool looking miniature  :icon_cool:.
Another Day Older; Another Day Closer To Death.

To while away a few moments, have a look at this:

http://insosworld.blogspot.com/

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 03:07:27 AM »

Zenithal priming..... the way I paint not much difference.

Festish gear looked too SS.

I couldn't get the heads to glue on strongly... so thought so it and used west wind ones... on these 4... got to try something different on the rest.

Still lots more to do painting wise

Inso

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
  • Often misguided and misunderstood
    • Inso's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 09:05:57 AM »

I've heard from a few sorces that the heads are a bit awkward to glue on...something about the necks being too short and the sprue that they are on being quite thick, making it difficult to remove them.  I am tempted to get some of these and use the gas-mask heads.  Will I need to drill and pin to get them secure?  will I need to build up the neck with GS to get the proportions right?

Yours look great but I would be disappointed if I couldn't get the gasmask heads to fit properly.

Another Day Older; Another Day Closer To Death.

To while away a few moments, have a look at this:

http://insosworld.blogspot.com/

gi6ers

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 09:39:08 AM »

Zenithal priming..... the way I paint not much difference.

I always use it, I'd be heavier with the white though and make sure the can stays upright as they tend to splatter otherwise.

Looking very good!

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 11:53:18 AM »

I've heard from a few sorces that the heads are a bit awkward to glue on...something about the necks being too short and the sprue that they are on being quite thick, making it difficult to remove them.  I am tempted to get some of these and use the gas-mask heads.  Will I need to drill and pin to get them secure?  will I need to build up the neck with GS to get the proportions right?

Yours look great but I would be disappointed if I couldn't get the gasmask heads to fit properly.

The bodies are made with a dimple for the neck to fit in. I think the heads were made with a "pimple" (is that the opposite if dimple?) for the neck so in theory they should fit in wonderfully and provide a good area to glue, and be flexible in the positioning, and be the right proportions.

Sadly when they were sprued up the link to the sprue is so thick I couldn't tell where the sprue ended and the neck began, hence lots of fileing to get a smooth finish on the pimple, which is a real pain as the only thing to hold is the helmet.

I think to get a secure fit you will need to drill and pin the original gas mask heads, you might get away without green stuff necks if you are carefull.

I have some other heads on order with gasmasks to try as an alternative before I finally decide which helmet to use... I also have some helmets on order to hang from a belt....

Looking very good!

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 11:59:23 AM by Bungle »