Custom Hobby Forum

• August 09, 2020, 09:42:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: The Monster WIP  (Read 2569 times)

gi6ers

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
The Monster WIP
« on: March 23, 2007, 03:29:27 PM »

I need ideas on colours for the clothes and thoughts on the skin tones - too light, too gory etc. I think it needs more shading personally.

Help and feedback wanted, be as brutal as you like!

Bodhi

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
Re: The Monster WIP
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 03:39:23 PM »

Well it looks wonderful and it's the first painted version I've seen of this figure (even if it's just a WIP)
About the brain:
 There aren't really any bloodvessels INSIDE the cranium (I think...?) so even if blood would be around the edges of the forehead and all I don't think the brain need be all that bloody. More of a pinkish colour I think? Or was it grey? Haven't seen a real brain so I'm unsure but definitely not red. Perhaps a spot or two that have carried over from the blood around the edges?
For the body I think you have a great balance in the gore. Gory but not excessive.
For the clothes I think the traditional monster has very subdued colours. Khaki, brown and grey I guess would work.
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

Dr.Evil

• Time to take over the world!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Dragon
  • Ever watchful
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 03:50:03 PM »

It's a cat's brain but should be the same colour, link only as it might be a bit much for some peolpe.

http://www.mindspring.com/~divegeek/why100_files/why1002.jpg

Druool factor here and maybe some idea's for the cloth too.
http://theclubhouse1.net/museum/modelsfrankenstein.htm

This is very nice too.
http://www.nurple.com/modelkits/Frankenstein-Garage-Kit.html

Different this one.
http://www.yourprops.com/view_item.php?movie_prop=5839
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction

gi6ers

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »

Good feedback Bodhi apart from the brain stuff: link
"the brain receives up to one-quarter of the total cardiac output of blood through two pairs of arteries"

I do agree that I need to tone it down on the brain though. I'm glad you said muted tones for the clothes as that's how I was thinking.

Thanks Wristy!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 03:54:59 PM by gi6ers »

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 05:15:10 PM »

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Labs/Anatomy_&_Physiology/A&P202/Brain_Dissection/brain_dis_jpgs/14_brain_rear_view_P1141737.JPG

Brains..... once the blood is off pinky grey. think bloodless skin

If he is reanimated it would be an old brain... not freshly from a bloody body.

Traditionally the monster is seen with dark earthy tones... cheap clothing that corpses are buried in, or dark suits.

make them a bit mucky....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 05:34:57 PM by Bungle »

Rays Bat

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 05:26:35 PM »

AHHHHHH!!!! Linkify it! Thank God I ate my cheese sandwich five minutes earlier!

Bodhi

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 05:28:38 PM »

Good feedback Bodhi apart from the brain stuff: link
"the brain receives up to one-quarter of the total cardiac output of blood through two pairs of arteries"

I do agree that I need to tone it down on the brain though. I'm glad you said muted tones for the clothes as that's how I was thinking.

Thanks Wristy!

:icon_redface:
I hang my head in shame and stand corrected  ;)
Thanks for the info   ;D

And thanks for the brainpicture Bungle. Those are tasty deep fried. So I HAVE seen a brain but it was deepfried and covered in sauce. I believe it used to belong to a sheep ... :offtopic:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 05:31:40 PM by Bodhi »
Immanuel Kant.

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 05:50:03 PM »

AHHHHHH!!!! Linkify it! Thank God I ate my cheese sandwich five minutes earlier!

Its a brain.. not bloody... it looks like a lump of plastic..... nothing nasty.

Bhondi off topic

Sheep's brain in white sauce.. yum.. well pretty bland really.

Am I correct in presuming you may be a vegetarian?.. I appologise now. I tried doing this as a spoiler but I don't have permission to post spoilers... so I'll do it small.

As a child to keep me out of trouble I used to spend mornings in a traditional butchers, I got used to meat and seeing where it came from, fresh from the abattoir.

band sawing heads in half to see and get the interior, lungs in plastic bags pressing them and seeing the air bubble.

Chasing the girls round the schoolyard with an eyeball hanging by the optic nerve.

Sadly I have no illusions about where meat comes from, but it doesn't put me off, it just makes me choosy about what I eat, the best cuts from local butchers are far better than supermarket packaged and re packaged stuff.

Back to the topic... I remember brains being very pale grey inside and darker to the edges when cut open, no blood inside, well most of it was drained by then anyway.  I'd like to see a plae bloodless brain with a few bits dribbling down from the upen wound as blood started to flow as the monster was reanimated.

Bodhi

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 05:56:02 PM »

Its a brain.. not bloody... it looks like a lump of plastic..... nothing nasty.

Bhondi off topic

Sheep's brain in white sauce.. yum.. well pretty bland really.

Am I correct in presuming you may be a vegetarian?.. I appologise now. I tried doing this as a spoiler but I don't have permission to post spoilers... so I'll do it small.

As a child to keep me out of trouble I used to spend mornings in a traditional butchers, I got used to meat and seeing where it came from, fresh from the abattoir.

band sawing heads in half to see and get the interior, lungs in plastic bags pressing them and seeing the air bubble.

Chasing the girls round the schoolyard with an eyeball hanging by the optic nerve.

Sadly I have no illusions about where meat comes from, but it doesn't put me off, it just makes me choosy about what I eat, the best cuts from local butchers are far better than supermarket packaged and re packaged stuff.

Back to the topic... I remember brains being very pale grey inside and darker to the edges when cut open, no blood inside, well most of it was drained by then anyway.  I'd like to see a plae bloodless brain with a few bits dribbling down from the upen wound as blood started to flow as the monster was reanimated.

No vegetarian me. I eat whatever is offered. That takes priority OVER vegetarian ideals. I cook vegetarian for myself and my familly though.
Immanuel Kant.

Baldemyr

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 11:25:40 PM »

I always thought it came from meat trees.

Inso

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
  • Often misguided and misunderstood
    • Inso's Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 04:10:43 AM »

I'm completely out of my comfort zone here (it's not Grymn, after all) but if the clothes are gathered from corpses, why not black for morning dress?

Is this mini supposed to be Frankensteins monster?  It looks no different to the ghouls he sculpted... :icon_scratch:.

Where's the square head and bolt through his neck...and the stacked shoes?
Another Day Older; Another Day Closer To Death.

To while away a few moments, have a look at this:

http://insosworld.blogspot.com/

gi6ers

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 04:27:42 AM »

His right foot has a block under the heel and the bolt is visible on one side of his neck, if you go for the alternative head with hair then you can see the bolt on both sides and the head is a lot squarer.

I really don't enjoy painting black so he's currently got a leather jacket and grey trousers.

Each to their own but I really like this mini.