Custom Hobby Forum

• January 22, 2021, 07:59:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: What do you think of his assessment?  (Read 3823 times)

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
What do you think of his assessment?
« on: January 20, 2007, 07:29:02 PM »

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
Re: What do you think of his assessment?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 12:40:32 PM »

"The Hobby" to him seems to be mainly card games and roleplaying games, and American centred.

Miniatures seem peripheral, as is most of Europe and the Far east.

I no longer play RPG's, but I have noticed manufacturers selling stuff via PDFs directly.. higher margins, no manufacturing costs just initial set up which would be the same as for a paper product. Smaller producers will find the running of the business and retailing eating into development time, so more collaborations like worldworks and stones edge, may be on the horizon. Perhaps printing on demand will become common in a few years as suggested around 6 years ago.

Card games, there have been predictions that the bubble will burst on these for years, I think it may just dwindle to a lower bubbling level. The "boom" helped lots of hobby stores grow, they will diversify to survive and perhaps will have to increase their web presence, to sell to those not geographically near.

On the miniatures front... lots of "big players" splintered and formed the sculptor owned companies 2 or 3 years ago. Old Glory bought a manufacturer recently, I can see this happening more in the coming years when restrictive covenants on sculptors run out. I can also see some smaller manufacturers becoming "collectives" or more loose associations. Heresy and Spyglass did it, Hasslefree are moving closer and plans for a possible single web store.

Some comapnies will combine through buy outs and retirements - Ainsty & Old Crow. New ones will spring up, the cycle will go on.

Again smaller producers finding the running of the business and retailing eating into sculpting time. Perhaps a few others will link up. Lots of sculptors or company owners know each other, and they could play to their strengths.

Pre painted bog standard minis will become available form more people... EM4 have done it with 5 lead figures for £10 for a few years, I can see GW doing something like it.. perhaps painted on sprues for you to cut out and stick together yourself?
I can see the mongoose thing coming back and biting them....

Distributors... Diamond took over in the UK for comics exclusively a few years ago.... RPG distributors died and other took over.... it a natural cycle.

Overall the predictions are suitable vague to look like they can come true.... but in the next year... nah.. maybe longer.

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 07:40:56 AM »

Hmm. well no one else want to be an oracle

I just found out that Rattrap Productions announced that they are acquiring the Iron Mammoth range of 28mm metal miniatures. So expect a sci fi version of .45 pulp adventures or something.... buy outs and merging....

Great War Miniatures, owned by figure designers Dave Andrews and Aly Morrison is this a new company?

http://www.northstarfigures.com/shop/greatwarminiatures/index.html Nice trench.

Bob Olley doing 15mm fantasy?  http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/futurereleases.html

One for me to buy Kerr and King.. purveyors of fine resin bases and a few building have just released a nice 15mm tram barricade http://www.kerrandking.co.uk/15mm_scale/kk107.html that'll be one I pick up.. and they have also done some nice swamp 28mm bases...

http://www.kerrandking.co.uk/

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 07:46:53 AM »

Tardis

• Contributors
  • Dragon Egg
    • Forbidden Planet Shop
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 08:46:08 AM »

1st Corps has just been absorbed into Curteys Miniatures, and Marbeth Designs has recently been sold too. :icon_ninja:

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 08:59:58 AM »

I just hope we don't lose all of the "little guys" out there.

gi6ers

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 09:23:16 AM »

Kerr and King.. purveyors of

badly cast resin sci-fi bases...

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 10:09:35 AM »

Kerr and King.. purveyors of

badly cast resin sci-fi bases...

?? mine were fine? whats wrong with yours?

gi6ers

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 10:23:04 AM »

they were badly cast, full of bubbles - big ones!

I'll stick with groundforge I think.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 01:44:16 PM »

I will be making bases soon.........

Tardis

• Contributors
  • Dragon Egg
    • Forbidden Planet Shop
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 02:02:04 PM »

I just hope we don't lose all of the "little guys" out there.

By the law of averages, a good small company will become "bigger", and unsuccessful larger companies will become "smaller". :icon_neat:

gi6ers

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 02:55:20 PM »

I think the small companies will be ok, just need good steady growth and to keep doing what they do best:

Good customer service, quality product and keep on listening to the customer base.

Price is much less of an issue than people think, if it's a good product then people will pay.

Agentmolar

• Global Moderator
  • Young Adult Dragon
  • The Tooth is out there.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 04:09:12 PM »

Personally i think that starting off small is always the way, but you need to get bigger by mergers or aquisition to survive. You only survive by growth, however there has to be a cut off stage. Either the laws of diminishing returns strike at you.

Smaller companies like heresy,hasslefree etc should look to maximise their strengths and minimise their weaknesses. Ie get the business side be looked after while the sculptors sculpt. Im also a believer that this hobby works in a club format.
As such membership into something other than you and your minis tends to help with maintaining enthusiasm for the hobby. FOD / Frothers /Custom are a virtual GW shop. The peer support and pressure maintain sales and interest.

I see companies focusing PURELY in a business manner failing. Because they will lose the focus on creating interesting minis/game systems and focus instead on cheaper manufacturing/cheaper sculpts/ outsourcing to china. Ironically i see companies that focus more on customer satisfaction via excellent sculpts, interaction with customers, are able to charge higher prices (becasue of higher running costs and economies of scale) without the backlash of say GW. I mean higher prices comparatively to say Old Glory or other mass producing manufacturers.

Anyhoo.. thats my ramblings to throw into the mix.
Funny isnt it how naughty dentists always make their one fatal mistake.
Bye for now, keep your teeth clean
www.dentalserenity.com.au

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 01:13:43 PM »

I think you summed it up quite well Agentmolar. I think that the best thing for a small business is to remain focused on your customer base and to pool resources whenever it is practical.