Custom Hobby Forum

• July 03, 2020, 10:41:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: You know, I'm going to regret those candles  (Read 3386 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
You know, I'm going to regret those candles
« on: July 31, 2009, 12:57:23 PM »

Seriously. They're goiing to be a nightmare to get a brush around. Anyway, I got bored waiting to get my hands on some of the colours I want so I painted her eyes and her hammer today (the straps on the grip aren't finished yet).

I thought I'd share afew pictures so here they are then.

And out in the bright sunlight that kills some of the nuances of light and shade you can even see an eye too :P.

I'll be aiming for red gloves and the reaper olive skin triad for the flesh. The rest will mostly be browns but I haven't decided if I want the boots to be red with the gloves or not.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
Re: You know, I'm going to regret those candles
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 03:21:18 PM »

Did you sculpt the candles of buy them?

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 03:35:23 PM »

Did you sculpt the candles of buy them?

From FOD:

Really nice. I like the base, is it scratch built?

Nope, it's a base isert from Black Cat Bases ruined temple base insert set (not sold on their site but on Simple Miniature Games). The fact that the Black Cat Bases guys and the SMG chappie come to our local gaming club might have something to do with it :p.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 09:54:28 AM »

Here's a few more pictures today. The gloves came out  abit too bright and orangey so I might have to try something like brown ink to dull them down a bit. I'll be bringing the scabbard and the hairbands up to match them (although maybe a touch darker) and I still haven't decided if I want the boots to match the gloves or not yet. Normaly I'd have done the skin by now but I need to buy some new paints for that so it'll wait. I'm starting to near the point where I can't do much more without making a start on the flesh 'though.

Let me know if you can tell that I highlighted and shaded the leather on the grip. Cheers.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 05:53:57 AM »

Behold, my first ever attempts to sue the reaper olive skin tone paints. I'm a bit disappointed. I was aiming for something darker with both the hair and skin but the end result still loosk good. Just brighter than I wanted. Once again I messed it up on the last highlight stage (might use some black ink on the hair to tone it down a bit but I think I'm pretty much stuck with the skin the way it is). How did I manage to make the skin look so different to Dargrin's beautiful achievment? Well it's frustrating but what he managed to work up wasn't exactly what I was aiming for, but it was very close. So I'd better just get on with it. I managed to also spoil the eyes but I don't fancy redoing them just now. One good thing about the hair coming out too light is that it'll be easier to avoid itblending in with the surcoat which was also going to be dark.

I took her outside and took a load of photo's but they all came out pretty dark. The obligatory handheld shot is repeated because the first time there was too much direct sun but the second time the focus wasn't anywhere near as good so I saved them both.

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 10:39:36 AM »

Well I redid the skin today and it's still too bright but much closer to what I was originaly aiming for :). She's also finished (as is the old knight) but they both need a few finishing touch up jobs on the base. I'm also debating wether to give her a bit of lippy or not. I'm thinking the darkest skin tone mixed with scorched brown on the bottom lip. The mouth just looks like it needs some differentiation.

So here's 3 small spoiler pics. Shot 1 came out well. I took shot 2 in the brght daylight which kileld a lot of the light and shade but hopefuly helps the other colours to stand out for the folk who say it's too dark :p. Why did I include the third one? Well the light's not quite as good but the camera's face recognition technology kicked in and focussed on the face quite well. Yes, the "face recognition technology" sometimes recognises faces on miniatures! But not very often.

So...

To lip, or not to lip. That is the question.

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 01:13:25 PM »

nice job.  :tip-hat:
I'll be in my bunk.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 06:09:08 AM »

So...

To lip, or not to lip. That is the question.

Lip with light skin and a v. v. small amout of red mixed in.  Bottom lip only.

Otherwise, nice work, Balgin :)
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »

Today I painted the entire lower lip with an olive skin shadow/scorched brown mix. Then I highlighted it with olive skin shadow. The end result looks really good (haven't given it the really close up scrutiny yet). It's been raining today so no photographs of her or the knight either :(.

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 04:19:47 PM »

Hi

Any pics?

Paul H

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon