Custom Hobby Forum

• July 03, 2020, 12:12:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Author Topic: Sunlight is evil  (Read 1697 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
Sunlight is evil
« on: May 26, 2009, 12:40:04 PM »

Once again the spring/summer sun is the bane of decent photography. I took 41 photos today and only 22 or 23 of them were good enough to use. Probably even less. When I tried using shadows to reduce the glare they overdid it and it just looked blue. I'm able to share these 3 pictures 'though. Enjoy :).

I really wish the sun wasn't throwing such heavy shadows. It makes the bronze on the miner almost look black.

I also added an in door shot to demonstrate how my camera insists on using the flash indoors even when it's not that dark. I actualy took face shots of 4 vikings indoors but only that one turned out recognisible.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 12:49:54 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
Re: Sunlight is evil
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 04:28:00 AM »

Which is exactly why I invested in a box with no sides, white tissue paper and two daylight bulbs ;)

But 22 or 23 out of 41 is still a lot better than I get.  When I've been photographing my miniatures of late to enter into the LAF Lead Painters League, at best I've only been getting 1 in 4 that is of any use - and that is an improvement after I bothered to spend time reading the manual for my camera!

Miniatures look nice, though.  Keep it up!
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 02:35:46 PM »

I tried a little evening light today and got it slightly wrong but a few of the pictures turned out okay including these ones. Unfortunately the woman's hair looks nowhere near as good to the naked eye. It looks sort of brown turning grey or white with brown shading. I might have to repaint it.

NO flash on 8 but it might help demonstrate my point.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:09:46 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:39:23 AM »

Well technicaly he could be the eleventh but, since I don't have the Gamezone miners' standard bearer, and I've only got nine and the leader, he's the tenth. Most of the Gamezone dwarf miners aren't even standing on the ground, being in varying degres of emergence. This little chap hasn't even breached the surface yet. The perspective on the ladder, head and arm is really off and I had to plug a small gap in the bottom of the base by the shoulder. The sides of the hole are actualy quite high. I couldn't make the best use of the brush I wanted to use for the fine details because the farrel kept catching on the top rung of the ladder so I had to switch to a larger brush (with longer bristles). I could've probably finished him off today but I haven't decided which colours I want the ladder and the rope to be yet. The skull on the edge of the base seems a bit gratuitous too. I don't think any of the other miners have them.

You can't see it too well from those angles but he;'s even got a tiny little face too. Here's the least out of focus shot that managed to show the face (and I wasn't even going to bother trying to paint the eyes given their size, the angle and the pit walls in the way).

Balgin Stondraeg

• RPG Guild
  • Very Old dragon
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 11:22:36 AM »

He's not finished yet. There's some finishing touches, plus shading and highlighting the grappling hook and deciding what to do about the light on his helmet. He's nearly finished. Maybe now folk won't have so much trouble seeing him :p. It's hard to get the right angle to show it but there are actualy three rungs on that ladder and the hand is almost bigger than the head.

And here's a few  side shots to show how rediculously hard he is to get at with a paintbrush.