Custom Hobby Forum

• December 01, 2020, 10:13:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Author Topic: Part 13: Return to the tower and thence to a tomb  (Read 3978 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
Part 13: Return to the tower and thence to a tomb
« on: December 05, 2008, 05:29:00 AM »

Wearily and somewhat downhearted the group trudge across the small island to the old elven watch tower. Once inside they spy the familiar crystals set into the floor, with those overhead in the roof waiitng. They do not shine now in daylight as they did in night (or at least I remember getting confused about this last time so I might need to check an earlier thread).

Ascending up the wooden stairs the party eventualy reach the tower's top and observe the three stained glass windows. Naedath marvels at the great stone doors that are visible when viewed through the magic piece of crystal fitted into the stained glass window and observes, as have others, that it seesm somewhat loose in it's setting.

Whispering words of power the old scholar holds out his hands and the crystal lense topples into his palms. Those who pass a spellcraft check at 16 will observe that he cast Mage Hand outside the window and had it push the crystal in towards him. Exited that he now has a means to observe the doors in the hillside Naedath is ready to move on. He's still interested in viewing the chamber beneath the tower if anyone told him about it but the doors in the hill hold a greater appeal for him.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
Re: Part 13: Return to the tower and thence to a tomb
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 05:37:54 AM »

"Did you want to see the think that lies beneath this tower, Naedeth? Or are you keep to get on to those magic doors?" says Raul.
:hal:   

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »

Disheartened by the disappearance of his brother, Rogan was less than enthusiastic about leaving and has descended into a grumpy sulk.
"Let's just get on and find out what's happening on this forsaken island," he says irritably.  "The more time we waste, the longer Aurum's in trouble."

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 05:50:50 PM »

"Don't worry - your brother may be stronger than you think........"

"But you're right, let's find out about this island.."

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 12:52:46 AM »

Alarian waits patiently, lost in his own thoughts.
I'll be in my bunk.

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 03:48:42 PM »

"Alarian - shall we go"?

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »

"I suppose you're right," Rogan replies.  "He's changed so much since I last saw him that it's been difficult recognising my brother in there.  Maybe I'm just still thinking of him as needing me to get him out of trouble."

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 12:53:51 AM »

Alright, brooding wont help him or us, lets get on with it then.
I'll be in my bunk.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »

"Did you want to see the think that lies beneath this tower, Naedeth? Or are you keep to get on to those magic doors?" says Raul.

Don't tempt him like that!

Tempted 'though he is, Naedath agrees it would be more prudent to examine the hillside at the moment and so the group descend the tower and head out to the south crown. Once they reach the quarry the sage raises the enchanted glass (which turns out to actualy be a very cleverly cut gem) and peers through it. He exhales slightly, almost a minor gasp, as he clearly spies something the others do not. Exited he whispers to others to come view his finding and when they do, they find they can indeed see a great pair of double doors built into the side of the hill while looking through the seeing gem. The doors themselves seem to be dwarf work 'though some mof the decoration is elven in style. While there is no discernible handle or other way of opening them elven sigils trace a circle of foreign words across the meeting of both doors.

Please don't shout Mellon at it. I doubt the answer's Mellorn but if the guy's unimaginative he could at least pronounce it right :p.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 12:25:45 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 12:50:33 AM »

ooc: open-sez-me
I'll be in my bunk.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 06:07:45 AM »

"Can anyone read the Elven writing?  Does it have anything to do with helping us get in? Or is it just some dire curse?"

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 08:16:10 AM »

OOC

Hi - not sure of Ivor's staring languages (should have four 'bonus' ones). Have PM'd Balgin to clarify.

Could well be that Ivor speaks Elven.

Cheers
Paul H

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 06:58:10 AM »

Doddery old Naedath works his magicks (successful spellcraft checks will reveal it to be comprehend languages) and peers closely at the writings carved upon the door.

"Ah yes, here it is," he breathes heavily, "it says:

Diamasin entered the long journey to the Holy Glade,
We depart now to the Unending Sea and seek him there in that
starlit kingdom,
In accordance with his wishes we leave his treasures here,
For the battle that is yet to come,
For the battle that is yet to be won,

Only the word of love shall open Diamasin's door."

He frowns for a few moments, pondering what the elven word for love might be. Rogan, on the other hand, is more interested in trying to devise ways to extricate his brother from the sea bed.

Meanwhile, not far off the coast, Aurum drags his weight across the sea bed, feeling the water resist his every attempt to move. Something is moving in the water nearby him. It's a seal. The sealion frollick's playfully, dancing around him, wanting him to come and play with it. Eventualy it gives up and swims away. With a scowl, and a shake of his fist, he watches it deparet and continues on his directionless slog across the ocean's bed.

Don't you just love foreshadowing?

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 07:17:51 AM »

"The word of love." says Raul. "Do think that means the literal word for love in whatever this language is, or do you think it could be a metaphor or a simile, or something like that?"

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 09:12:54 AM »

Alright, let us belatedly 3 day rule this thing:

While Naedath and the others ponder how to open the door Kiaphas takes Rogan aside and claims to have an idea to rescue his brother from the cold clutches of the sea. They trudge across the southcrown hill to the cliffs where Aurum was last seen. Standing there Kiaphas takes the selchie's pearl in his hands and holds it tight, hoping his trust is not misplaced. Then calmly he hurls it out into the ocean as far as he can and waits. Not more than half a minute later the seal's head appears bobbing in the water down below. She looks up at him calmly and he gazes down at her, concentrating hard on his request. After a few moments she swims off towards the north, breaking the surface of the water occassionaly to look back at them as she heads towards the east beach. Once she believes she has conveyed her message she dives deep beneath the waves.

As Aurum struggles against the currents he believes he sees a vast shape looming up ahead. The reck of the northmen's ship hulks in the gloom and in his mind he can almost picture the bodies that may inhabit writhing with dark magicks as they come to life to attack.

A shape like a blur moves past him in the water. It passes again, circling. This time it swims in close and he sees that it is a seal. On the third pass he spies an object held in it's mouth. A large sapphire, big enough to fill a palm. And then it swims away, in a different direction from the shipwreck. As he gazes it returns, circles again a few times and then darts away. Stupified he follows as the seal leads him across the sea bed, often returning to check he's following.

Eventualy he drags himself up onto the east beach and sags on all fours, half out of the water. The sapphire is neatly placed on the sand before him and of the selchie there is no sign.

A shout from Rogan, who is watching, brings him to his senses and he catches up the gem as his two companions run to pull him from the waves lapping at the shore.

Does anyone remember the tv version of Elidor from the 90's? That moment when the supposedly dead warrior bursts up from the sea as the land regains hope was just so iconic! Pitty it's not on youtube (I checked). I've always wanted to use that hero bursting up from the water moment in a game and never got the chance untill now :).