Custom Hobby Forum

• October 27, 2021, 09:05:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Author Topic: Latest WIPs  (Read 7538 times)

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
Re: Latest WIPs
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 02:56:17 PM »

Very nice work.... now... do you need someone to do any surveying in the carribean?  :icon_suspicious:

Agentmolar

• Global Moderator
  • Young Adult Dragon
  • The Tooth is out there.
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 04:10:01 PM »

WOw that stuff is awesome mate. Im in awe of people who do this kind of thing for a living. Not to mention you also make great terrain and basework.

Top notch!
Funny isnt it how naughty dentists always make their one fatal mistake.
Bye for now, keep your teeth clean
www.dentalserenity.com.au

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 05:16:13 AM »

That is just ridiculously fantastic, geronimo! :)

Well done!  I assume you both got a buzz finally seeing it in-situ and knowing they're finished at last? ;)  Has it put you off chocolate? :D
:hal:   

geronimo

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
    • Fenris Games
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 11:33:56 AM »

I assume you both got a buzz finally seeing it in-situ and knowing they're finished at last? ;)  Has it put you off chocolate? :D

I managed to get out of installing these onsite - poor old Snuurg had to do a 24-hour shift to get them fitted, and arrived home around 430am. They do look fantastic onsite, but we're pretty much glad to see the back of them, to be honest - and yes, I'll happily never look at Cadbury's chocolate again :)
Fenris Games
Too many ideas....way too little time...

snuurg

• Global Moderator
  • Wyrmling
    • snuurg.com
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 12:58:17 PM »

a couple of extra pix -  a fuller-figured one of the Roses chocs and their box (would've been better with the box-flaps on top, but that's designers for ya.... also not helped by the fact that the big box doesn't match the design of the new boxes that are being sold from inside it, d'oh!):

also just  a quickie of the giant liquorice allsorts we did - not the Bertie, he was done by a branch of the company who hired us for all the other stuff, they have their own animatronics folks so they dood him themselves - this one would probably look like a better display if the shelves had been stocked up, but we didn't particularly fancy staying any longer. Could also say something about the fact that the installers didn't particularly bother with the instructions for bolting 'em on, they're supposed to be kind of stacked on top of one another in a sort of cascading zig-zaggy column, not just stuck into the bolt holes and then tightened up, but eh well:

Meanwhile...

...do you need someone to do any surveying in the carribean?

- no such luck, don't even get to go out there ourselves :(

...for your entertainment though, here's the thing so far - it all starts off with a big old drawing and a load of coloured-in contours:

but soon enough starts turning into a mess of mountains by way of layered-up foam:

...might not look like much just yet, but give it a week or two :)
...I am the thing that darkness fears...

gi6ers

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 01:10:24 PM »

Let me know when you need more staff, I can commute no worries!

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 01:28:47 PM »

I wish i could commute  :icon_tears:

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 01:47:33 PM »

I want to move over!

snuurg

• Global Moderator
  • Wyrmling
    • snuurg.com
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 02:24:48 PM »

- 'ere you go, just bashed up a quick making-of page for the big chocolate-fountain-thing, for any that's interested:

http://www.snuurg.com/a%20glass%20and%20a%20half.html

Bossco101

• Dragon Egg
    • Miniature Heroes
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 03:17:36 AM »

Its amazing how much you both do with really so little to go on from the start. Really interesting how its all done, yet you see a display like that in the shop and most people don't give it a second thought.

What happens to the displays afterwards though, just thrown away or stored for future use?

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 04:40:39 AM »

I remember making a 3d visualisation of a map like that when I was in junior school.  I hope it is still as much fun for you chaps as it was for us then :)

I've always seen the area around Ladybower Reservoir differently, since then :D
:hal:   

geronimo

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
    • Fenris Games
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 01:05:10 PM »

Its amazing how much you both do with really so little to go on from the start. Really interesting how its all done, yet you see a display like that in the shop and most people don't give it a second thought.

What happens to the displays afterwards though, just thrown away or stored for future use?

Depends on the client's needs - the cadbury stuff, for instance, is a permanent installation in the shop at the end of the Cadburyworld tour. The mountains (and most sales models) have a lifespan that's usually limited to the length of time it takes the client to sell all of the properties on that particular scheme; they're usually scrud*ped afterwards. We usually scavenge back stuff like trees, cars, and the perspex used for the cases, but most of the rest goes into the skip....
Fenris Games
Too many ideas....way too little time...

snuurg

• Global Moderator
  • Wyrmling
    • snuurg.com
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 01:28:09 AM »

- a bit more done on the mountains of madness - actually they've been at this stage for about three weeks now, we went and got 'em done too quick and the client wasn't ready with the further information needed - so they've been sat in the shed waiting to go since then...  though in the meanwhile I've built the baseboard for sitting 'em on, several big bits of lovely lightweight honeycombed aluminium screwed together and then given about a hundred-weight of bracing - you can stand on the thing if needs be :) (which we just might, since the thing's so damn big you can't easily reach the middle from the edges).

Anyway, this is them as currently carved and waiting for whatever's next: