Custom Hobby Forum

• July 04, 2020, 09:25:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: New WIPs  (Read 10240 times)

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
Re: New WIPs
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 03:42:40 PM »

The Flying Hive Tyrant is the biggest project I have thrown myself into...

anyway more Nurgle:

And thanks for the comments, I really appreciate the feedback.

Andres

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2008, 12:36:53 AM »

Nurgle guy:

Steam Armour guy:

Andres

Inso

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
  • Often misguided and misunderstood
    • Inso's Blog
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2008, 06:10:03 AM »

Now that I have been granted the power to reply to posts...I can reply  :icon_twisted:.

I reckon you've done a great job of capturing the Nurgle feel on your marine and as long as you carry on like you have done so far, he is going to turn out very nicely  :clap2:.

As I mentioned over at the FoD, I really think your steam-punk/anime/warmachine miniature is really cool  :icon_w00t:

The question is...if you can sculpt a miniature from scratch as cool as that, why bother with a Nurgle Marine?  I'm sure that you could come up with much better, just by stepping away from the base of a spacemarine.  That way, your 'Grotesque Future-Warrior' could be cast and sold on.

Just a thought.

A top job all around  :occasion14:.
Another Day Older; Another Day Closer To Death.

To while away a few moments, have a look at this:

http://insosworld.blogspot.com/

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 01:14:51 PM »

The idea was to create something recognizable as part of the 40K universe, it's a "I can adapt my style to your requirements" kind of project. If I wanted to cast and sell this mini I would need to do it all over again, cause I used some "GW" parts, so probably I won't cast it (and go public with it, if I do cast it, someone will receive a PM).

I have several ideas to sculpt, but I'm trying to produce a broad range of themes as I'm building some sort of portfolio.

Andres

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2008, 10:47:56 PM »

So I'm done with it... I'm pretty sure I don't want to add more corruption to this model. I need to scavenge a Chaos backpack that I will add some "Nurgle love" to it and I will claim this model as finished. Since I will not get the backpack until next saturday... it's done :P

About steam armour guy... I still need to decide what I will do with the boots... and finish the boiler. At least I've done some tubing I think I will use.

Andres

Baldemyr

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 09:12:08 PM »

So um..is the Nurgle guy for sale?

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2009, 12:03:03 AM »

It depends on the offer :P

I was planning to do some resin copies (ltd run of say 20 copies), but I haven't been able to do it, so if the offer is right I might be tempted to sell it. I also be willing to take commissions, I'm currently working in a miniature for Impact Miniatures, Steam punk guy is going to Hasslefree, but I need to sculpt more.

Andres

Caerban

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2009, 06:18:35 AM »

I'm not a GW fan but I quite like your take on the Nurgle guy. I think you've got a nice balance between corruption and usefulness. Too many people seem to go a bit nutty with the rotting until what your left with would no longer function and goes from looking grotesque to looking a bit silly really. Well done.  :clap2:
As for the steam armour guy, I'll withold comment until he's done but I really rather like him too.
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." - Groucho Marx

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 11:41:41 AM »

This guy is almost done... just a few more details on the fist and feet and the optional helmet. sorry for the crud*py pictures, but my hands were messing with the focus.

Andres

Baldemyr

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »

I wouldnt know what to offer....however if you do make resin copies and they are the standard sort of amount I can guarantee sales-or if you can name a price I would be interested.

The only one offs i see are from Scibor-and some of them are too pricey yanno? 

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 11:14:01 PM »

I'm doing resin copies. I will do a very ltd cast, the idea is to learn from the local caster, he's been doing that commercially for the last 8-10 years so I'm pretty sure the results will be good. I'm ready to lose materials until the moulds meet my standards, that are basically that I want the copies to be exactly as the original.

I will cast a maximum of 20 viable copies, after that I will not cast a single more. The regular backpack will not be provided, put I'm planning to sculpt a jump pack. I was thinking in charging US$20 shipping included for the miniature. If I sell 10 I will cover my costs and probably won't sell the rest, unless I'm very tight on money (as I currently am, with no steady job for the last couple of months and a close family member with hospital bills to cover so I'm open to submissions...)

My first mould went bad since it seems the leftovers of chemicals for the mould were too old to be good... so I will buy new materials next week. I also had to sculpt something on his hand, so now has a severed head/bligt grenade on the fist... it was that or do the thumb in a separated piece.

Andres
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:20:27 PM by steeldragon »

Baldemyr

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 12:46:20 PM »

So any progress?

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2009, 07:43:08 PM »

I'm on it... I've been a little busy with a commission from Impact that refuses to get finished... it has three alternate arms and so far I've done them the wrong hand (left instead of right), gone out of scale (twice) and now I'm finishing them or I'll smash everything :P

But it has provided very valuable lessons... like never sculpt a part of the model without the actual model near or if the customer provides a concept art... don't sculpt without looking at it... next time 'm doing a multipart model I will cut the pieces instead of doing them separately...

I also finished the steampunk guy so I can mail it to Hasslefree...

Probably next week will be the right time to do the castings...

Once I finish with the Impact mini and the other commission I got I will start spamming miniature companies... so... anyone has some contacts?

Andres

Bodhi

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2009, 04:45:51 AM »

So, what are you doing for Impact? I made a female vampire footballplayer for them but UK mail lost it on it's way to the caster  :icon_evil:

Still Impact where very generous about making up for my loss even though it wasn't their fault. Lovely company to deal with.

I think there are quite a few adds out there every now and then for people seeking sculptors so if you want to do commisions I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding some jobs. Look at TMP under the sculpting forum and at the yahoo page 1list sculpting. It allways pays to just send your pics of to all the companies you're interested in working for.

Since I stopped wanting commisions it feels as if I see adds all the time  :icon_scratch:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:49:38 PM by Hotbod »
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

steeldragon

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
    • Steeldragon Minis
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 07:40:13 AM »

I'm doing a male vampire... very "classic". It's like the grandpa from the Munsters.

Spamming is the way to go ;)

Andres