Custom Hobby Forum

• January 23, 2021, 02:54:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Author Topic: a small thing called confidence  (Read 1464 times)

Medved

• man with the fluffy skates
  • Global Moderator
  • Young Adult Dragon
  • look at my fluffy skates!
a small thing called confidence
« on: September 19, 2008, 05:12:37 PM »

be it lack of time, tired eyes, splaying brushes or just the wrong primer............there are many things to overcome before you finally get to turn out some productive painting.

as the title reads.......that small problem for me is confidence. it always has been strangly enough.  think of it as taking a long enough run up in sports and the momentum will take you on even though things may not go as smoothly as wanted.

without that confidence every blip or hurdle is a slightly bigger and scarier prospect. attending GD this september helped me see what the standard was and that i was never too far away from it. somehow i have to get that confidence back behind me in these days of tempremental children's bedtimes and not being able to paint through being soooo knackered.

any tips to bring me along is welcomed greatly. i know it's all still inside of me, i just have to convince myself to let me have my painting knowledge back and use it as the weapon that it is.

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
Re: a small thing called confidence
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 05:41:45 PM »

Paint to enjoy it.

Paint to field an army to game with.

don't just paint to win acclaim or do GD standard paint jobs.

Duffs face when he saw his Elvis had been chipped at the Salute game.. you could see him swearing inside "all that work!!"

if it turns out like one of your kids painted it.. so what.. if you enjoyed doing it.

Agentmolar

• Global Moderator
  • Young Adult Dragon
  • The Tooth is out there.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 01:37:35 AM »

Bungle is a wise man, its either the beard, the helmet or the goggles. Either way, id listen to him.  :icon_wink:
Funny isnt it how naughty dentists always make their one fatal mistake.
Bye for now, keep your teeth clean
www.dentalserenity.com.au

Bodhi

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 05:19:17 PM »

Confidence? Never heard of. Aint got any. Sorry can't be of any help here.
You just listen to Bungle.

And a beard doesn't make a wise man.
It's definitely the goggles.
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

ink the troll

• Dragon Egg
  • short, fat & ugly
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 02:13:54 AM »

Most important thing is paint something you like and paint it for fun, not because you think you should paint a squad of plastics to GD standard to sell them or to prove something to someone. You can do that a little bit later, but for getting back into painting and enjoying it I'd suggest choosing a mini that appeals to you just that little bit more than most of the other stuff you have.

One tip: maybe choose a larger one, like a big barbarian or even something ogre sized or something with a lot of blank 'canvas' areas. I've found that when I'm tired and stressed larger minis -preferably ones without tons of fiddly details and filigree stuck on to even the soles of their shoes- are a lot easier to paint.
Nothing kills the fun quicker than too much strain, pressure and self-induced stress, life's filled with enough trouble already no need to make it even harder for yourself.

Do you have a place dedicated to your hobby and nothing else (even if it's just a tray full of paint pots & assorted tools and a camping table)? It helps having everything ready, so you can sit down and start painting or at least prepping minis when you're in the mood. First having to clean up a table and then having to search all over the place for all the various boxes containing your hobby supplies takes to much time. And often -once everything's finally ready- you no longer feel like actually painting something.

I guess the summary would be: take it easy, enjoy what you're doing, have a (small) dedicated hobby area. 

dargrin

• Juvenile Dragon
    • www.darkgrinminiatures.com
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 09:22:56 AM »

I also have to echo what most of what people said.  Paint for the fun of it and that's it.  Paint when you can.  No matter how good someone is there is will be ALWAYS someone better then you.  Once you get past that you can then relax and start enjoying the hobby we all share.
Long term exposure to the Orb of Confusion will give you...er.. confusion!

I invite you to my dot on the web: http://www.darkgrinminiatures.com

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 12:50:31 PM »

Pretty much what everyone else has said, really.  The only thing I do to avoid a painting block when it does come upon me is to do the basic stuff that doesn't take too much brainpower - assemble some minis, or prime or add the base colours - up to the point you could game with them with some slight embarrasement on your part (5 or 6 on CMoN, say) - then when you do want to "finish" them, there isn't as far to travel down the painting road.

Of course, you can only do that if you're not bitten by the perfectionist bug, which is something I am fortunate enough to be able to mostly repress.  In people I know who have it bad, perfectionism is the biggest confidence killer they have, so try and shed the perfectionism, if that is what is bothering you!
:hal:   

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 11:34:27 PM »

*jumps on the band wagon.*

what ever your motivations for painting, Bungle is right. * and its the hat, cools his brain down so it dont overheat*
I'll be in my bunk.