Custom Hobby Forum

• January 23, 2021, 02:37:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: GenCon Indy  (Read 2545 times)

dargrin

• Juvenile Dragon
    • www.darkgrinminiatures.com
GenCon Indy
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:51:56 AM »

I just ran across this site.  Lots of vids and stuff on Gen Con... Enjoy
http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/gencon2008
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 11:03:39 AM by dargrin »
Long term exposure to the Orb of Confusion will give you...er.. confusion!

I invite you to my dot on the web: http://www.darkgrinminiatures.com

Baldemyr

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
Re: GenCon Indy
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 12:43:24 PM »

It was AWESOME.  The 12.5 hour drive home was crud*- however.  2 hours I waited at the border-as if some idiot wanting to smuggle 65 foot golden elephants couldnt do it anywhere else ALONG THE LARGEST UNDEFENDED BORDER in the world.  Oh yes..of course...holding and questioning us at the border will somehow change the reality affecting our two nations.

I am a little bitter.

Anyways...the Con was wonderful-I played a bunch of games..talked with various awesome pro painters...got contact info from Elmore.. bought minis..tried new video games...found out Battletech is still running strong and tons of other things.

As always..I will be going next year.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:56:52 AM »

What did you find out about Battletech, Baldemyr?
:hal:   

Baldemyr

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:23:57 AM »

Well, I thought it had been turned into Heroclix or whatever and ended its life as a retard game. Apparently though it is still being produced under another company (Catalyst Games) in its origional form.  New compilations of rules, newly minted minis (created by a now reborn Ral Partha) but the same old glorious robot pounding mechanic.

I spoke with some of the Catalyst guys and they told me they get old timers like me returning day after day-so happy to see the game as it was meant to be ....without the stupidity of "Dark Ages" or clicky bases.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »

Well, I thought it had been turned into Heroclix or whatever and ended its life as a retard game. Apparently though it is still being produced under another company (Catalyst Games) in its origional form.  New compilations of rules, newly minted minis (created by a now reborn Ral Partha) but the same old glorious robot pounding mechanic.

I spoke with some of the Catalyst guys and they told me they get old timers like me returning day after day-so happy to see the game as it was meant to be ....without the stupidity of "Dark Ages" or clicky bases.

Excellent news, Baldemyr :)  I'm off to google Catalyst games and see what they're up to ... :D

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 09:25:27 AM »

And would somebody know if the basic battletech stuff (base box set?) is still available? And where?

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »

Hi

Is there anything of the clasic Battletech still in the UK? Got about one rgt of Inner Sphere mechs, plus about same amount of Clan. All that excluding tanks, etc.

Anyone looking for games in Gloucester area please PM me.

Thanks for the info re Catalyst Games

Cheers
Paul H

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 11:48:53 PM »

It was AWESOME.  The 12.5 hour drive home was crud*- however.  2 hours I waited at the border-as if some idiot wanting to smuggle 65 foot golden elephants couldnt do it anywhere else ALONG THE LARGEST UNDEFENDED BORDER in the world.  Oh yes..of course...holding and questioning us at the border will somehow change the reality affecting our two nations.

I am a little bitter.

Anyways...the Con was wonderful-I played a bunch of games..talked with various awesome pro painters...got contact info from Elmore.. bought minis..tried new video games...found out Battletech is still running strong and tons of other things.

As always..I will be going next year.

been there done that, so much for a free trade policy eh? but im sorry to say its always been like that, especially if your traveling all stag.
I'll be in my bunk.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 04:51:10 AM »

And would somebody know if the basic battletech stuff (base box set?) is still available? And where?
Is there anything of the clasic Battletech still in the UK?

Yes.  I've bought from a number of amazon partners quite a number of times and never had a problem.  I've always found their service to be the equal or better than that of Amazon.

Amazon UK Partners
Amazon FR Vendeurs

Or, following the links from one of the UK Partners to their own website, it is listed slightly cheaper direct:
http://www.gameslore.com/acatalog/Games_BattleTech_139.html (about 2/3rds of the way down the page).

I have never bought from Games Lore, so I've no idea whether they are a good or bad company - but they're selling Battletech stuff in the UK :icon_smile:

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 06:53:00 AM »

Thanks for the links Keeper!  :occasion14:

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 08:09:16 AM »

You're welcome :icon_smile:

Since we're on the subject of BattleTech, I thought I'd post the only 'Mech I've ever finished painting.

This Battlemaster is from a couple of years ago, so not my best effort, but I'm happy with the colour scheme - even if it is rather vivid!  He came in a job lot off evilBay and I think his canopy is missing, but that didn't really matter much  :shrug:  I still think he looks pretty neat as is.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:21:37 AM by keeper »

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 11:11:24 AM »

I just realized the base box is also available on the RalPartha Europe online store - as well as metal mechs!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:15:54 AM by Chrysalis »

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »

i think the mech is an old wolverine, in witch case no canopy, the cocpit sits directly behind that nob of green on the head.
I'll be in my bunk.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 05:14:54 AM »

i think the mech is an old wolverine, in witch case no canopy, the cocpit sits directly behind that nob of green on the head.

Hmmm - good call.  I don't know how I'd missed that.  I guess it doesn't matter too much son long as I'm using the right datasheet when playing :)  I'll go and update my description of the Mech on cheddarmongers, though ...

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 08:59:22 AM »

np, some of the older mechs were falsely sculpted. so for example, the legs of this one should be on that one, and so on.
I'll be in my bunk.