Custom Hobby Forum

• November 30, 2020, 02:13:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: Part 12: Dead fingers lurk among the seaweed  (Read 6767 times)

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
Re: Part 12: Dead fingers lurk among the seaweed
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 09:00:44 AM »

'Stick together!' alarian barks loudly, 'we go as a group i should think or does the prospect of facing the undead alone apeal to you? we should wait for teh Dwarf and then all go.'
I'll be in my bunk.

Mr Teufel

• Young Dragon
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 09:30:13 AM »

"Then let's go down to the ledge, where we might be a bit more help to the dwarf when he surfaces," says Kiaphas. "I've got some rope."

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 06:53:04 AM »

"Be careful - this path is narrow & slippery. Let's use that rope of yours, Kiaphas, to help us down".

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 06:42:55 PM »

Aurum lets everything settle around him while he gathers himself. He then scans around to see if he can notice anything (like a gem) under the water.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 10:06:12 AM »

As the dust settles Aurum gets to thinking. He's not going to be able to clamber up the cliff face beneath the surface of the water, armoured as he is. Swimming is also out of the question. So he needs to find another way out of his present predicament. Lowering himself to his hands and knees he feels about, trying to get asense for the gradient of the ocean floor. If he can find a rising slope he might be able to return to a beach. Slowly he moves his arms, feeling the water's resistance. A few bubbles rise as he concentrates.

On the ledge above his companions look dubiously, wondering if he survived whatever turmoil surged through the bay.

He's needing a very high search DC with  asearch skill of -1 to find what he's looking for. I think he's basicaly on natural 20's only. Now for direction sense he'd need to make a Survival check. He's not very good at that either. Does anyone have a scatter die handy? I think I might just roll one next to the map for ageneral indication of which direction he heads off in to begin with.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 11:01:30 AM »

Can I take 20 (or 10) on the search? He doesn't have to worry about drowning so I was hoping he could

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 12:51:21 PM »

Can I take 20 (or 10) on the search? He doesn't have to worry about drowning so I was hoping he could

In theory you can but it'll take avery long time. And taking 20 isn't the same as rolling a natural 20 so taking 20 might actualy fail. And the more time you take, the more G points the Grimorden has to throw nasty stuff at you with :).

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 01:10:41 PM »

In that case  Aurum tries to find a way to surface so he can take off the armor

I need a ring of free action or does somone have a spell to do it?

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 09:30:26 PM »

Hi

Seems the problem is with navigation - no problem with water breathing.

Do you know what the tide is like at the moment? Is it coming in or going out? Just pull out something flimsy, (handkerchief or something), and see which way it drifts with the current. You always know which way is up. (Bubbles float to surface).

Cheers
Paul H

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »

Balgin do you want to speed this part up or rule how long it takes him to get out while the rest of the party does what it needs to? I can have him keep searching around but would prefer to get him out and the armor off so he can look around more effectively.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 12:23:19 AM »

or rule how long it takes him to get out while the rest of the party does what it needs to?

The me deciding how long it's going to take him bit is what needs speeding up :P. I need to factor in things like his poor direction sense and stuff like that. I think what we'll basicaly do is have the group head off and he can turn up later at an apropriate time provided he's spent a reasonable ammount of time trying to get out of there.

Sort of basicaly the Hollywood storyline approach where horrible continuity occurs to suit the plot :p. Let's just hope he doesn't get mauled by anything else unpleasant while he's down there.

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »

ooc: sounds good, lets get to it :)
I'll be in my bunk.

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 05:46:14 AM »

Hi

Ivor suggests we continue our search for the gem.

Cheers
Paul H

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 09:32:33 AM »

or rule how long it takes him to get out while the rest of the party does what it needs to?

The me deciding how long it's going to take him bit is what needs speeding up :P. I need to factor in things like his poor direction sense and stuff like that. I think what we'll basicaly do is have the group head off and he can turn up later at an apropriate time provided he's spent a reasonable ammount of time trying to get out of there.

Sort of basicaly the Hollywood storyline approach where horrible continuity occurs to suit the plot :p. Let's just hope he doesn't get mauled by anything else unpleasant while he's down there.

So can he keep searching (for anything on the floor and the way out)  and then you just let me know when I am back in the story (LOL)?

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 04:45:50 PM »

Ivor waits a moment, his eyes scouring the water for a last hope of seeing his companion. Hesitatingly he looks back towards the others, then carefully mkes his way back to them.

"Yeah - lets go and see about this gem"

Looking back over his shoulder..
"There's nothing we can do for hom now, poor lad...."